5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional and very enjoyable film
From watching the trailer, I got a slight understanding of the film; guy has no friends when he starts his first year in high school and struggles to make them also, he then finally meets some nice people who befriend him, which to one he falls in love with.

Whilst the base of the story is just as I had predicted, the film as a whole was so much more...
Published on 9 Oct. 2012 by MyKeyReviews

3.0 out of 5 stars The Perks of Watching Emma Watson
Not such a grand statement or perceptive insight into teenage angst! More a watchable but ultimately quite forgettable trip into American High School culture. The characters are mildly interesting but not overly sympathetic or quirky, and the narrative is acceptable but not compelling. Nothing here that hasn't been done before and probably better. However Emma Watson is...
Published 4 months ago by Cameo Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional and very enjoyable film, 9 Oct. 2012
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Charlie who is the main character is extremely socially awkward, and you get hints close to the beginning that something in his past had caused him to be this way, eventually you start finding out Charlie has a very deep story in the past which is gradually explained through as the film goes on by flash-backs, you will eventually find out why he is the person he is today, this combined with the journey through his first year with his new friends who also have different personal issues makes this film an emotional roller-coaster.

I don't want to ruin the story for those who haven't seen it, so I'm not going to go into further detail.

On a final note, I do want to point out that the cast for this film was perfect, they were all brilliant at their roles and made the film very believable. I also want to say Emma Watson did an especially good job at portraying her character 'Sam'. As she's widely recognised for playing Hermione from the Harry Potter films, it must have been hard for her to shake off that image that has been imprinted into peoples minds throughout these years, which she has done so brilliantly in this film, this shows how good she is of an actress.

I would highly recommend this film for those who enjoy drama/romantic based films and I certainly will be buying this film when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing!, 10 Oct. 2012
I saw this at the cinema recently and it was absolutely amazing! I can't wait until it becomes available for DVD. After loving the film so much I decided to go ahead and order the book, I'm reading it now and it's just as enjoyable. Truly amazing story that touches you on so many levels, it really pulls on your heart strings. Everything about it I loved, the acting, the storyline, the music. In the book, Charlie mentions that he likes to come out of the cinema and feel like the movie changed you in some way, you feel different - this film absolutely did that for me! A MUST BUY. And Emma Watson is simply lovely, but that didn't surprise me.

5.0 out of 5 stars An uplifting coming of age story, 5 May 2013
GratuitousViolets "Ash" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Coming of Age films are getting lazier and lazier these days with too much focus being made on fashion, comedy and very little substance to amuse the masses, but I have to say, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" managed to escape all those traps quite successfully. An absolutely fantastic film that touches you and gives you the power to just see the beauty of life, love and friendship.

The story follows fifteen year old Charlie who is starting high school, an introverted loner who has recently lost his best friend to suicide and is coping with various inner demons that he has not been able to properly process since the age of seven. Charlie's eyes are opened to a whole new way of life when he meets extroverted outsiders Patrick and Sam, a pair of seniors, who take pity on his loneliness and bring him into their circle of friends who are due to graduate within the year.

Charlie is left open to many new experiences, mostly sitting on the sidelines as he watches his new friends live out their final year of high school. For Charlie, his new friends open up a whole new world of complications, impossible romances, and planning for a life of infinite possibilities, which may lead to unlocking key memories about his past which have previously been blacked out from his mind, may help him understand things that still haunt him about his childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Magnificent Teenage Angst Movie, 21 Mar. 2015
Bill (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This movie is an absolute gem. If you like highly superior teenage angst movies, films like The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Some Kind Of Wonderful and Say Anything, I'd be very surprised if you didn't love this movie - The Breakfast Club [Blu-ray], Sixteen Candles [Blu-ray] [1984], John Hughes Collection (Pretty In Pink / Some Kind of Wonderful / Ferris Bueller's Day Off) [DVD], Say Anything [Blu-ray] [1989].
Charlie is a sixteen year old High School student, fiercely bright, good looking, introverted, circumspect, highly likeable, and with a complicated past that he wants to keep buried. Starting out at a new school, he befriends two eighteen year old students, Patrick, who's an extroverted gay fellow full of mischief and with a rapier wit, and Sam (played by Emma Watson), who's a breathtakingly beautiful and intellectual young woman, and who bafflingly makes appalling choices in men.
The three of them become inseparable pals, and what follows then is a profoundly moving and involving tale of their trials and tribulations in the lead up to college.
It's very rare that I see a teen movie which can hold its own against the finest John Hughes movies, some of which I've mentioned above, but this is definitely one of them. The attractive young cast give spellbinding and entirely credible performances. As the friends went through the peaks and troughs of teenage life, I found myself irresistibly hooked. The film soundtrack is very cool, featuring the likes of David Bowie, The Smiths and Dexy's Midnight Runners. The pacing is energetic and perfectly judged, the script is moving and believable, the characters are wonderfully drawn and hugely likeable, and the story, which leaps between tearful melancholy and joyful happiness, unfolds very cleverly and satisfyingly.
I loved this film, and so did my 12 year old daughter, who watched it with me. I felt transported back in time to my own school days, and just for 90 short minutes, I was able to remember fondly all the ambitions and dreams which teens have as they look ahead to their adult lives. A truly magnificent film, one the best I've seen in the last couple of years, right up there with the likes of the brilliant Blancanieves and Untouchable - Blancanieves - Collector's Edition [DVD], Untouchable [Blu-ray].
Very highly recommended.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'M JUST GLAD YOU'RE HAPPY,, 3 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is this generations' "Breakfast Club" as a group of western Pa. misfits come together and help each other deal with their issues.

Charlie (Logan Lerman imitating Jesse Eisenberg) is a loner who has issues with normal socializing. He is a freshman in high school and befriends Patrick (Ezra Miller) an in the closet senior who is also an outcast. Patrick introduces Charlie to his low self esteem step sister Sam (Emma Watson) who Charlie immediately takes to. Charlie ends up joining their circle of friends, one that includes the frequent use of drugs and alcohol. The drug and alcohol use is shown as being nonchalant, perhaps in a realistic sense, at least the one I grew up with.

The group has a number of colorful characters which add to the mix. The film has multiple themes including "We accept the love we think we deserve." The teens have heart and recognize the needs of each other and are able to give and accept. The weirdest thing of the film was the use of cassette tapes. Seriously?

The soundtrack reflected the feelings of Charlie. It starts out with an acoustical number that was sad, lame, and untalented. It picks up at the tunnel scene. At one point we listen to XTC "Dear God" a tune on my mix tape. There was a scene where I expected to hear J Geils chime in with "Love Stinks" but it didn't happen.

This is a film for older teens, which some parents would object to. Good acting. Decent plot, although the aunt thing wasn't that well developed.

Parental Guide: No sex or nudity. 1 f-bomb. Sexual themes including homosexuality. Another hit film from Pittsburgh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprises you and breaks your heart, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Never read the book, I hated Logan Lerman and these type of highschool films can be great: Breakfast Club, Pretty Persuasion, but are more often terrible, self-indulgent, nostalgic crap made by people who haven't been to highschool in decades. So needless to say my expectations were low and only Ezra Miller's name persuaded me to give this a watch. What a beautiful little surprise this film turns out to be. It sneaks up on you, makes you really care about the characters and by the end you're bawling your eyes out because you are so emotionally engaged with these characters. The soundtrack is great, directing and editing are really strong and it has an excellent script (though I've never read the book I'm sure it is better as this clearly is a character piece better suited to literature than film). However, what really makes this film shine is the performances. Ezra Miller is excellent but it takes a few scenes to forget how terrifying he was in We Need To Talk About Kevin but you soon warm to him and smile whenever he is on screen. In the hands of a different actor his role could have been extremely annoying but he keeps us engaged and gives a lot of depth to the character. Depth is the common thing with every single character in this film, they may seem like archetypes: Gay BFF, Manic Pixie Dream Girl, Shy Neurotic Guy, but they all have so much more going on and are all deep, flawed and beautiful people who's company you love to share. I really wasn't in the mood for this film but the 5 star quality in every department meant I was gripped in the first 5 minutes and it didn't let me go till the credits rolled.
P.S. You may as well buy the soundtrack album at the same time as this as you will be hunting down the songs the second it finishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Movie Adaptation, 27 Mar. 2013
I watched this film after reading the book (though I only read the book because I wanted to see the film) and personally, I think it's a great adaptation. The film stays faithful to the characters and plot of the book, a benefit of having the author write the screenplay, I'm sure, and some of the acting is outstanding. Logan Lerman stands out for me. The more you watch the film, the more you pick up on his body language. Ezra Miller was perfect as Patrick and provides the light relief in this film inbetween those moments of darkness and sadness. If you aren't aware of the plot of this movie/the book, I won't spoil it but do be prepared to shed the odd tear. This film is one of my favourites now and I can't count how many times I've watched it. It's something special and has earned a place in my heart. The only negative I can find with it is I wish Emma Watson hadn't attempted an American accent, since she couldn't hold it for the entire film. Other than that, it's perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 Feb. 2013
A brilliant, beautiful, inspiring movie, not just another high school movie like I thought.
a loner Charlie (Logan Lerman)looks on with trepidation of several years of high school when he starts out as a freshman , but i s taking under the wings of two seniors, the beautiful and irrepressible Sam (Emma Watson) and the gay wit Patrick (Ezra Miller) and becomes part of their crowd after he engages in some witty repoirt after eating a brownie laced with cannabis.
Soon he discovers the joys and heartache of teenage life, while struggling with the suicide of his best friend and the ghosts of his past.
All the actors are amazing, with of course Emma Watson shining as the free spirited Sam.
I came away definitely with something from this movie , basically that everyone deserves, through the moments of struggle and pain, to feel alive, and to really reach a stage where one lives life.
Great 80's music and feel.
This movie is set in 1991 and we can see this from the lack of cellphones and computers, and the use of cassette tapes

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming high-school drama with a sting in the tail, 6 Jan. 2014
Version I saw: In-flight movie (KLM)
Actors: 7/10
Plot/script: 7/10
Photography/visual style: 6/10
Music/score: 6/10
Overall: 7/10
All three stars of this movie - Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller - had baggage going into this film in terms of well-known roles in previous films. It is to their credit that they made me forget Percy Jackson, Harry Potter and We Need To Talk About Kevin. This is a well-judged high-school story that tackles a couple of sensitive issues with a good balance of cool distance and mawkishness, insight and introversion, witty dialogue and realistic awkwardness.
Stephen Chbosky's direction (from his own book of the same name) is certainly not ostentatious, and this is probably wise. Too much camera tomfoolery would probably distract attention from what is really quite a personal, everyday drama.
For my full review, see my independent film blog on Blogspot, Cinema Inferno: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films i've ever seen, 12 Jun. 2014
Lee Guest (uk) - See all my reviews
This is film is fantastic.. A movie that will make you laugh & cry at the same time. A heartwarming story that i couldn't take my eyes off for a minute. I usually like a thriller or a crime film which this is neither but the story really does get you and i found myself sat there smiling to myself watching it, then within minutes you want to cry like a baby. The acting is fantastic the story is great i really would recommend this to anyone. Anyone that doesn't rate this probably needs to find something else to do because i can't see how you can dislike this film or say it isn't good, even if it's not your type of movie. Watch it trust me you won't be disapointed.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower [Blu-ray]
The Perks of Being a Wallflower [Blu-ray] by Stephen Chbosky (Blu-ray - 2013)