Format: DVDChange

From watching the trailer, I got a slight understanding of the film; guy has no friends when he starts his first year in high school and struggles to make them also, he then finally meets some nice people who befriend him, which to one he falls in love with.

Whilst the base of the story is just as I had predicted, the film as a whole was so much more.

Charlie who is the main character is extremely socially awkward, and you get hints close to the beginning that something in his past had caused him to be this way, eventually you start finding out Charlie has a very deep story in the past which is gradually explained through as the film goes on by flash-backs, you will eventually find out why he is the person he is today, this combined with the journey through his first year with his new friends who also have different personal issues makes this film an emotional roller-coaster.

I don't want to ruin the story for those who haven't seen it, so I'm not going to go into further detail.

On a final note, I do want to point out that the cast for this film was perfect, they were all brilliant at their roles and made the film very believable. I also want to say Emma Watson did an especially good job at portraying her character 'Sam'. As she's widely recognised for playing Hermione from the Harry Potter films, it must have been hard for her to shake off that image that has been imprinted into peoples minds throughout these years, which she has done so brilliantly in this film, this shows how good she is of an actress.

I would highly recommend this film for those who enjoy drama/romantic based films and I certainly will be buying this film when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray.
0Comment101 of 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Coming of Age films are getting lazier and lazier these days with too much focus being made on fashion, comedy and very little substance to amuse the masses, but I have to say, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" managed to escape all those traps quite successfully. An absolutely fantastic film that touches you and gives you the power to just see the beauty of life, love and friendship.

The story follows fifteen year old Charlie who is starting high school, an introverted loner who has recently lost his best friend to suicide and is coping with various inner demons that he has not been able to properly process since the age of seven. Charlie's eyes are opened to a whole new way of life when he meets extroverted outsiders Patrick and Sam, a pair of seniors, who take pity on his loneliness and bring him into their circle of friends who are due to graduate within the year.

Charlie is left open to many new experiences, mostly sitting on the sidelines as he watches his new friends live out their final year of high school. For Charlie, his new friends open up a whole new world of complications, impossible romances, and planning for a life of infinite possibilities, which may lead to unlocking key memories about his past which have previously been blacked out from his mind, may help him understand things that still haunt him about his childhood.
on 6 January 2014
Version I saw: In-flight movie (KLM)
Actors: 7/10
Plot/script: 7/10
Photography/visual style: 6/10
Music/score: 6/10
Overall: 7/10
All three stars of this movie - Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller - had baggage going into this film in terms of well-known roles in previous films. It is to their credit that they made me forget Percy Jackson, Harry Potter and We Need To Talk About Kevin. This is a well-judged high-school story that tackles a couple of sensitive issues with a good balance of cool distance and mawkishness, insight and introversion, witty dialogue and realistic awkwardness.
Stephen Chbosky's direction (from his own book of the same name) is certainly not ostentatious, and this is probably wise. Too much camera tomfoolery would probably distract attention from what is really quite a personal, everyday drama.
For my full review, see my independent film blog on Blogspot, Cinema Inferno: [...]
on 28 July 2013
Wow, what a film.

I wasn't sure at first if I would be able to get into it, but then everything clicked. The main character, Charlie, isn't very good at engaging with people. Being just about to start high school, this is of course an issue. There are lots of hints about things unspoken, but the very fact of his awkwardness, his frankness, causes him to try and avoid being noticed.

It's those characteristics make him endearing, and as the story progresses, and the central cast... His family and friends, who are his family as well in his vulnerability and openness, grows with him. it's touching, funny, sad and yet, ultimately uplifting. The main cast did so well, and I can't understand why I hadn't watched this film until now!

I can't recommend it enough, really. Next is the book, and probably the film again.... Maybe a couple more times...
on 10 October 2012
I saw this at the cinema recently and it was absolutely amazing! I can't wait until it becomes available for DVD. After loving the film so much I decided to go ahead and order the book, I'm reading it now and it's just as enjoyable. Truly amazing story that touches you on so many levels, it really pulls on your heart strings. Everything about it I loved, the acting, the storyline, the music. In the book, Charlie mentions that he likes to come out of the cinema and feel like the movie changed you in some way, you feel different - this film absolutely did that for me! A MUST BUY. And Emma Watson is simply lovely, but that didn't surprise me.
0Comment35 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2013
A brilliant, beautiful, inspiring movie, not just another high school movie like I thought.
a loner Charlie (Logan Lerman)looks on with trepidation of several years of high school when he starts out as a freshman , but i s taking under the wings of two seniors, the beautiful and irrepressible Sam (Emma Watson) and the gay wit Patrick (Ezra Miller) and becomes part of their crowd after he engages in some witty repoirt after eating a brownie laced with cannabis.
Soon he discovers the joys and heartache of teenage life, while struggling with the suicide of his best friend and the ghosts of his past.
All the actors are amazing, with of course Emma Watson shining as the free spirited Sam.
I came away definitely with something from this movie , basically that everyone deserves, through the moments of struggle and pain, to feel alive, and to really reach a stage where one lives life.
Great 80's music and feel.
This movie is set in 1991 and we can see this from the lack of cellphones and computers, and the use of cassette tapes
0Comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2013
This is this generations' "Breakfast Club" as a group of western Pa. misfits come together and help each other deal with their issues.

Charlie (Logan Lerman imitating Jesse Eisenberg) is a loner who has issues with normal socializing. He is a freshman in high school and befriends Patrick (Ezra Miller) an in the closet senior who is also an outcast. Patrick introduces Charlie to his low self esteem step sister Sam (Emma Watson) who Charlie immediately takes to. Charlie ends up joining their circle of friends, one that includes the frequent use of drugs and alcohol. The drug and alcohol use is shown as being nonchalant, perhaps in a realistic sense, at least the one I grew up with.

The group has a number of colorful characters which add to the mix. The film has multiple themes including "We accept the love we think we deserve." The teens have heart and recognize the needs of each other and are able to give and accept. The weirdest thing of the film was the use of cassette tapes. Seriously?

The soundtrack reflected the feelings of Charlie. It starts out with an acoustical number that was sad, lame, and untalented. It picks up at the tunnel scene. At one point we listen to XTC "Dear God" a tune on my mix tape. There was a scene where I expected to hear J Geils chime in with "Love Stinks" but it didn't happen.

This is a film for older teens, which some parents would object to. Good acting. Decent plot, although the aunt thing wasn't that well developed.

Parental Guide: No sex or nudity. 1 f-bomb. Sexual themes including homosexuality. Another hit film from Pittsburgh.
on 27 March 2013
I watched this film after reading the book (though I only read the book because I wanted to see the film) and personally, I think it's a great adaptation. The film stays faithful to the characters and plot of the book, a benefit of having the author write the screenplay, I'm sure, and some of the acting is outstanding. Logan Lerman stands out for me. The more you watch the film, the more you pick up on his body language. Ezra Miller was perfect as Patrick and provides the light relief in this film inbetween those moments of darkness and sadness. If you aren't aware of the plot of this movie/the book, I won't spoil it but do be prepared to shed the odd tear. This film is one of my favourites now and I can't count how many times I've watched it. It's something special and has earned a place in my heart. The only negative I can find with it is I wish Emma Watson hadn't attempted an American accent, since she couldn't hold it for the entire film. Other than that, it's perfect.
on 22 February 2015
Such an amazing independent film. Stellar performances by Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller and Emma Watson. It shows how the main character, Charlie is trying to ward off his personal demons such as his depression, social awkwardness and repressed memories. Ezra Miller plays a plainspoken, flamboyant and hilarious character called Patrick. Emma Watson plays Patricks stepsister Sam, she has shed the Hermione character from the Harry Potter series which is usually typecast to her name and shows just how good an actress she is. I can resonate strongly with Logan Lerman's character, Charlie which goes to show you how well the acting is as the characters seem so believable and multi dimensional. An emotional movie that will cause you to shed a tear or two. This was the best movie of 2012 in my opinion, I rate it a 10
on 3 May 2014
This is a fantastic film - full of insights and complexity. Whilst Charlie is the main character (and I've seen few teen movie protagonists as likeable or as vulnerable), each of the characters is rich, complex and vivid. You really care about what happens to each one of them and through the course of the film, each one of them grows and changes. This film is warm hearted but also unexpected. It touches on subject matter outside the usual teen film domain, including some very dark and serious matters and the twist at the end came as a real surprise. However, the over-riding feeling you are left with is one of hope, happiness and real warmth. A wonderful experience. Kudos to Emma Watson for escaping her Hermione typecasting but there isn't a weak member in the cast. It's fantastically well acted.