5.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the good times.
Published on 23 Nov 2005 by Curlynob

2.0 out of 5 stars Levellers dvd and cd set.
The dvd jumps in several places and is therefore unplayable as far as I am concerned.Music cd fine at least it plays ok.
Published 1 month ago by FRANK SMITH

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the good times., 23 Nov 2005
Curlynob (Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Levelling The Land (Audio CD)
When I was at college The Levellers were my favourite band in the whole world. They were the first band I ever saw live. I still remember The Fiddler flying down to the stage on a wire! Fantastic! In an effort to evoke the memory of the good old days, and realising that my original tape was well and truly past it, I jumped on-line and ordered myself another copy from good old Amazon. It's worth mentioning that a lot of albums don't sound half as good as you remember them. Ten or maybe Twelve (?) years on, this record still sounds great. Lyrics to songs i haven't heard in years leapt into my mouth and I was singing away at the top of my voice. If you haven't sung along to RiverFlow, either before or in a long time, your missing out on something truly joyous. Or how about Far From Home or Boatman? This record offers a lot more than just One Way.

5.0 out of 5 stars There are good albums & a few you'll listen to all you life., 10 Jun 2005
This review is from: Levelling The Land (Audio CD)
I was sitting down the other day, and I started thinking about the albums that had really mattered to me, made me believe, influenced me, moved me; the rare album where all the songs are inspired gems, an album you can pick up in any mood, and it makes you smile, dance across the living room, an album that touches your soul!!
This is one of those albums! Buy it and smile, laugh, do a jig or just sit down in your couch and listen to it with your favourite tipple in your hand and breath in and replay and breath out and replay!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd how one album can do so much., 13 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Levelling The Land (Audio CD)
For those who have followed the folk scene since the heady days of Fairport Convention, and/or who have frequented great music festivals like Cambridge and Cropredy, there is nothing unusual or original about the music that the Levellers have produced. Upbeat, anti-establishment folk rockers are everywhere should you care to look. A few are miles better than the Levellers; a lot of them are worse. But when "Levelling the Land" burst onto the early-90s, post-Madchester music scene it achieved something that few albums of its ilk have ever managed to do: it brought anti-establishment folk-rock into the mainstream. This is the album that made space-kids abandon their shoe-gazing, and got Neds and Carter fans doing crazy jigs and reels. I still don't quite know how they did it. Except to say that this is a band of outstanding instrumentalists, with a lot to say and an ear for an addictive tune. Ten years on, some of the issues that they rant about have come and gone, but the album (like all the best folk music) remains as a record of what has been and, in places, what might still be. The Levellers may have become a bit more escapist since then, but with one album they did probably more to encourage young people into folk-rock than years of bearded blokes with their fingers in their ears have ever managed to do. A "must-have".

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 13 Oct 2003
This review is from: Levelling The Land (Audio CD)
God I love this album. None of the songs grate even after the thousandth listen, and each has become my favourite at one point or another, to be overtaken again, only to regroup to make another attempt to woo me.
At the same time they were the first band i ever saw live, at Rivermead in Reading in '93. One Way is the song for a generation, and the fact that its used every time anyone wants to show traveller types on TV proves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 years of magnitude?, 3 Dec 2002
This review is from: Levelling The Land (Audio CD)
Another purchase that was a good idea! This was my favourite tape while in the 6th form many years ago. But technology meant my TDK tape became obsolete! Been years since I last had the pleasure and was a little aprehensive as the memory often remembers the past to be better than it was, nostalgia eclipses fact. Not the case with Levelling the Land. If you were an indie boy or girl in the early 90s then you'll love this. The Import version has 15 years on it (successful single released after the original albulm and added on later versions) which is a bonus. A CD of folk, rock, happy, hippy, guitar, violin, political views wrapped up in some very good and accessible tunes. 10 years on from its release and it still hits the mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better late than never !., 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: Levelling The Land (Audio CD)
Absolutely brilliant, i am really glad i bought this album. I have somehow managed to have not knowingly heard any of their music during the 20 years they have been around until very recently.
I saw them perform on the BBC Folk Music Awards this year performing "one way" and "riverflow" and was so impressed i searched through their album releases on line and chose " Levelling the Land " because it included those two tracks.
Their music seems to be a sort of indie folk rock that hits the spot just fine for my taste which covers Zeppelin, Who, AC/DC through to Fairport/Steeleye & Strawbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Rare Occurance, 29 Nov 2008
This review is from: Levelling The Land (Audio CD)
There has been a few albums that I've loved, what sets 'Levelling the Land' apart from those albums is that there is no song on this album that I don't like, I love them all. I still haven't got tired of listening to it yet and it still makes me smile and appreciate being alive. Yes this world isn't perfect but who cares when the Lev's are doing their thing and doing it bloody brilliantly! I heard 'Beautiful Day' on the radio, played a couple of tracks on youtube then bought this album, swiftly followed by about 4 more! Listen to them, you'll wonder how you managed without them, i am a complete 'Lev's Lady' now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure, unadulterated genius!, 4 Oct 2008
This review is from: Levelling the Land (Audio CD)
Pure, unadulterated genius. Buy this album, especially if you haven't really listened to it since you had it on a dodgy tape casette back in the early 1990s. Slap it into your CD player, stereo, computer, iPod, whatever. Turn it up LOUD. Sing along. Instantly feel 15 years younger. It is like being re-united with a long-lost friend. A truly classic album...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Levellers' best album, 19 Jan 2007
This review is from: Levelling the Land (Audio CD)
The Levellers' best album, from back in 1991. When I was in the sixth form in 1994 we listened to this over and over again. Even now, I think that every song is superb. The non-vocal chorus of 'The Road' is iconic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Album of the Century, 10 Mar 2001
This review is from: Levelling The Land (Audio CD)
Five stars ISN'T enough! One of the truely insprational albums of modern times, every single one of the tracks is stunning. And go and see them live, they put on the best party I've ever seen :) I could write a whole novel about how satisfying and fabulous their music is, but if you play this Album through I guarentee that you will be a Lev for life :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Levelling The Land
Levelling The Land by Levellers (Audio CD - 2012)