on 11 July 2013
I'd only read one other in the Trevor Jones series, "A well-deserved murder", and this is much grittier than that. The start is violent, and after about halfway through it the body count begins to rise again. It's quite a page turner in its own way, though it is made clear that a bent policeman is involved, and as there isn't much choice (particularly after the cops begin to get killed off in rapid succession) it's fairly clear who is the culprit. The premise of a drug that is amazingly cheap and easy to make and yet so devastating is conveniently far-fetched. But what is missing, I think, is more of a motivation for the bent policeman's betrayal of his colleagues. Something more convincing - a son or daughter caught up in drugs needing money for their habit that he was trying to finance on the quiet or his own involvement with the gangs due to him/her, for example, would have made for a more persuasive read. But I would certainly consider reading others in this series, just to see how they develop.
on 24 March 2014
Because this book was free, it was an o.k. read. This is the third K.Jones I have read and
I don't think I will bother with any more. However, I do like her other books (different name).

Trevor and Peter go undercover, along with others, to find the source of a lethal new drug.
There were far too many names to keep in mind, even when they started being murdered.
For my liking, there was too much chit-chat between the detectives and then too much about the
wife and baby and Peter's girlfriend.

The "baddies" were totally implausible - as they were in A Well Deserved Murder.
None of the characters had any depth to them. However there was no swearing or sex.
I am sure this book will appeal to some people (hence 3 stars), but it was not for me.
on 26 June 2013
I don't often write bad reviews, but feel compelled to do so on this occasion. Stilted dialogue, dreadful grammar and punctuation, very poor editing - words repeated or missing altogether, and very disjointed and distracting layout. Story line reasonable, but altogether not a good read for me - just glad it was free on Kindle!
on 21 June 2013
It's not often I think "wow" when I'm reading a book, but in this one, just when I thought it was moving along pretty quickly, the supercharger kicked in.

The danger involved in undercover policing can scarcely be better portrayed.

Very believable.
on 29 July 2013
Where to start? Maybe it's the subject matter (drugs and really vicious cartels ) or maybe it's the location (close to where I live so I know the areas mentioned quite well) or maybe it's the characters (none of whom I could warm to) or maybe because it jumps all over the shop and the twists and turns are just simply confusing. Whatever it was I just could not get into this book, I found the characters cold and the relationships (and there turned out to be many and varied between the characters) really confusing. Disappointing.
on 7 September 2013
The story was ok, but for my liking very far fetched to be set in Wales. If the venue had been in one of the drug centres of the world then I think the story would have had more realism and I would have rated it more highly, however I am no expert in this subject matter and am perhaps a little naive. This book did engage me and I enjoyed the read but it was spoilt by my lack of empathy with the characters and the possibility of this happening on my doorstep. A holiday read for the beach?
on 15 October 2013
I struggled to get into this book, it just wasn't for me. I tried another of the books and struggled with that as well.
on 3 July 2013
Some well drawn characters. Enjoyed the book overall, some minor irritations. Pretty sure most coppers rarely 'send their love' to their colleagues partners or wives. Plot was fast moving and intriguing but cultural stereotyping is rife. I will read this author's work again.
on 16 October 2013
this is one of those books that I started with intrigue and it held me for about 100 pages but then the tedium set in and I couldn't manage more than a chapter a night.

I can't really be bothered describing the plot . It was so bad
on 12 August 2015
I have got to know Joseph and Collins, and like what I read, this is a well written novel, and as previous stories it does not disappoint, this story takes the duo into the drugs territory, and is fraught with danger and intrigue, meanwhile both detectives have settled into domestic life, and are trying to balance both which is not always easy, a good solid read, which keeps you interested to the end