5.0 out of 5 stars scary analysis, very good read
This book reminded me of why I enjoyed economics at college. Good historical background put the whole mess in context. A good read for anyone interested in the subject, controversial in parts but ultimately a hard truth.
Published 19 months ago by Abbie H

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but one sided
I'm an old unreconstructed leftie so please take all my comments with that in mind.

I bought this because I was interested in another perspective on the financial melt down & Mr Fraser-Sampson explains the crash from an avowedly right wing point of view. I don't agree with his analysis but it is well argued with a reasonably in-depth overview of the...
Published 19 months ago by Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Tory takes reality check, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Mess We're In: Why Politicians Can't Fix Financial Crises (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly recommend this book. Sampson clearly describes how politicians, of all stripes, have contributed to our economic woes. It also serves as an excellent introduction to 'the dismal science' of Economics for those unfamiliar with the subject.
Sampson tends to overlook the role that Thatcher played in destroying the very fabric of our society to the point where any future recovery would be near impossible. I think his personal political bias clouds his objectivity on this point. Nonetheless, a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read., 20 Dec 2012
This was well written and i found most of the information and opinions expressed to be of interest.

Needs a reality check with his views on defence, but generally a good book and worth takeing the time to read it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A mess of a book, 28 Jan 2013
M. Paine "Martin Paine" (West Wales) - See all my reviews
Read this as a libertarian right-wing rant, with a few interesting ideas thrown in. it is interesting that the only positive reviews come from people in the finance industry, regarded by most as the problem! The book is full of unsubstantiated presumptions and errors. Post-war British governments practised Marxist economics? The Austrian school was somehow an unknown backwater of economic theory? Puh-lease! Margaret Thatcher got it right? Like or loathe her politics, surely it was hardly good housekeeping to spend the proceeds of North sea oil on tax cuts for the rich. I am no expert on the complexities of macro-economics - but clearly neither is Fraser-Sampson. As an alternative i recommend Larry Elliott and Dan Atkinson's 'Going South: why Britain will have a third world economy by 2014' if you really want to know what is wrong....