5.0 out of 5 stars A Spiritual Triumph
Published on 25 Feb 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful to avoid carrying lots of volumes around.
If you need a pattern for your daily prayer time this is okay, every thing is there for a structured time of worship, but it I found it a bit complicated going backwards and forwards between the different elements on the Kindle. ( I may be too inexperienced with it to be able to bookmark and flip around easily!)
Published 9 months ago by Margaret Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spiritual Triumph, 25 Feb 2002
By A Customer
By far and away the best production from the Church of England in the 'Common Worship'programme.The main offices of Morning and Evening Prayer can be used with one or two readings and are strengthened by the spelendid variable canticles. Night prayer is a first class rendition of the traditional compline, and given official status after a hundred and fifty years of unofficial use ! The Miday Office is splendid, it can be used as a short office in Church at home, even on the bus. It can be extended into an office of Readings, using Scripture and readings from patristic or other sources.
The psalms are enriched by the refrains, which may be used as antiphons.
The propers of the Seasons and saints give light and shade to the daily pattern of prayer.
Only one complaint, A refrain with the opening canticle would have marked the tone of the day or season.
The format is easy, the print clear.It is easy to learn your way around, and works well in practise.
It is hard the compliment the C of E enough, the Daily Office has come of age in this book, valuable for Clergy (Who must say Morning and Evening Prayer as obligation), Monks Friars and Nuns, and most of all the holy people of God, who will find it a source of growth and renewal.
Buy it and pray.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding New Breviary, 9 Aug 2005
Emil Belsky (Omaha, Nebraska USA) - See all my reviews
The Church of England's Liturgical Commission and Church House Publishing are to be congratulated for the outstanding work done in producing the definitive edition of "Common Worship: Daily Prayer." This revision of the Church's daily round of prayer should set the standard for other revisions throughout the Anglican Communion. Particularly noteworthy is the overall structure of these offices, their flexibility, and the tone and mood set with each seasonal variation. You begin to wonder at how so much could be included in so small a book! I especially appreciate the many scriptural canticles (pp. 548-644) and the options of beginning Morning Prayer with "The Acclamation of Christ at the Dawning of the Day" (p. 108) and Evening Prayer with the ancient ceremony of the "Blessing of Light" (p. 110).
While much that is good can be found here, there are also some things which, to my mind, require closer scrutiny. Verse 3 of Psalm 3 (p. 651) where God is referred to as "the lifter up of my head" and verse 2b of Psalm 115 (p. 823) "Where is now their God" seem awkward and unfortunate renderings. Because of their importance to these offices, a thorough review of the Psalms for translation and euphony is in order (while not perfect, the inclusive language version of the Grail Psalms might be considered). Most of the Forms of Intercession (pp. 366-399) are absolutely right on (see pp. 376, 394-395) while some need further work (see p. 374, which strikes me at least as too wordy and preachy).
These minor problems should not, however, detract from the great achievement overall of "Common Worship: Daily Prayer"--to make available to the ordained and non-ordained alike a round of daily prayer that is simple enough to be used widely, flexible enough to allow for local adaptation, and of ample inspiration and appeal as to invite use in daily prayer. I will continue to use it as part of my own daily spiritual discipline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Revision of the Daily Office, 29 April 2002
Emil Belsky (Omaha, Nebraska USA) - See all my reviews
Church House Publishing and the Church of England's Liturgical Commission are to be congratulated for the outstanding work done in producing "Common Worship: Daily Prayer." This revision of the Church's daily round of prayer should set the standard for other revisions throughout the Anglican Communion. Particularly noteworthy is the overall structure of these offices, their flexibility, and the tone and mood set with each seasonal variation. Indeed, you begin to wonder at how so much could be included in so small a book! I especially appreciate the many scriptural canticles and the options of beginning Morning Prayer with "The Acclamation of Christ at the Dawning of the Day" and Evening Prayer with the "Blessing of Light."
While much that is good can be found here, there are also some things which, to my mind, require closer scrutiny. Verse 3 of Psalm 3 (p. 579) where God is referred to as "the lifter up of my head" and verse 2b of Psalm 115 (p.751) "Where is now their God" seem to be awkward and rather unfortunate renderings. Because of their importance to these offices, a thorough review of the translation and euphony of the psalms would seem to be in order. Also, the prayers provided at the conclusion of each psalm are of uneven quality. Then too, the invitation to prayer concluding each Lenten petition on page 338 (where God is addressed in the second person) should more properly read "We pray to you, O Lord" rather than "Let us pray to the Lord"; otherwise addressees seem to become confused as you go along.
These minor problems should not, however, detract from the great achievement overall of "Common Worship: Daily Prayer"--to make available to the ordained and the non-ordained alike a round of daily prayer that is simple enough to be used widely, flexible enough to allow for local adaptation, and of ample inspiration and appeal as to invite use in daily prayer. I look forward to seeing and using the definitive edition when it becomes available!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not an Anglican but this could help me be one, to date this is the best liturgical prayer I've found, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Common Worship Daily Prayer (Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England) (Kindle Edition)
I would call myself a new monastic and recently discovered liturgical prayer and living (about a year ago) having come from a Evangelical Charismatic background where extempore shopping list prayer was the norm. Over the last year I've used several books of liturgy. Celtic Daily prayer, Shane Claibourne's Common Worship, Iona prayer book, and the Franciscan Celebrating Common Worship. All of which are fab but very repetitive. However with common worship you can more fully embrace liturgical living. Embracing disciplines like lectio divina, contemplative silence, space for extemporey prayer as well. Common Worship allows you to vary the number of offices you keep. I generally keep 4, but with common worship you can keep 2-5 offices very simply. I use it mostly through the my CofE app on iPhone but the kindle version sits on all my apparatus meaning I can turn to it anywhere at any time. I think if I was to reccomend one prayer book above the others it would be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Mar 2009
Mr. S. C. Ferris "chrisf98" (Gillingham, Kent) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent collection of Offices and prayers, it is rich in variety and is easy to use once you get the hang of it. It is a great buy and I use it every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improvement of spiritual discipline, 25 Oct 2011
Mr. M. Parnell "Reader" (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
Since obtaining my copy I have found it useful in developing my own daily prayers. It is a rich resource that has introduced me to new material. Although I am unlikely to use all the material it contains I have found it very helpful in giving me some structure to my prayers and I think it will be useful to people from most if not all traditions of the Anglican Church. It is not too directive in what material is actually used and enables a variety of resources to be used that will enable the users daily praying to remain fresh. After only a few weeks I have become comfortable with using "Prayer During the Day" which has been a very good introduction to the way in which Daily Prayer can be used. I have also found that "Night Prayer" is to be found within its pages which for me adds to the delight of the spiritual treasure that the book contains. Also, the printed short readings means that you don't have to fumble changing from Daily prayer to a lectionary, to a Bible back to Daily Prayer again which means that you can use comfortably it when traveling on a coach or a train.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has transformed my prayer life., 6 July 2010
Once I worked out how to use it, this book has transformed my prayer life. It's really flexible so you can use the four services a day or just one. It's great for getting to grips with liturgy and scripture, and I'd recommend it for all those who are seeking to become more intentional about their prayer life, because this structure is a brilliant guide. I feel much more connected with my Christian heritage as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice volume, well presented liturgy, 3 Sep 2009
J. Jennings (UK) - See all my reviews
If you're reading this far, you probably already know that this volume is the standard daily services of prayer used by clergy in the Church of England morning and evening. It's attracted critisism for being too large a book and unwieldy to use but it does address many of the problems with the previous liturgy, the Alternative Service Book offices, which were regarded as dated, inflexible and wooden.

It's initially difficult to get into the habit of using these offices, largely because of the huge number of variations and choices - a major weakness or strength of the Common Worship revision generally, depending on your viewpoint. You have to go back and forwards in this volume between the daily provision, the canticles, the psalms and the collects but it does eventually become routine.

Because you need the dividing page ribbons to dart back and forward in the volume, it is a disappointment, though that the ribbons in the the other volumes I've bought seem to fray so quickly.

This edition looked to have stronger ribbons and it's more of a presentation version with soft leather covers; it was bought as a gift for someone at college.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition - Daily Prayer, 10 Oct 2012
I would like to congratulate whoever converted/edited this and the other volumes in Common Worship for prayer and use on a Kindle; they have done a first class job.

Daily Worship is a joy both at home and on holiday in this format especially with an equally accesible Bible or two contained within the same slim machine.

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morning Prayers, 11 Feb 2012
M. EVELEIGH (North Somerset) - See all my reviews
I bought this to add to my church's copies of this book. We need it for use at early prayer times. It is full of worship, prayer, and liturgies; collects, psalms and canticles. Much to inspire here.