5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought-out and sturdy, a top kitbag, 9 Sep 2013
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vanguard UP-Rise II 48 Backpack with Expanding Capacity/Rain Cover for Camera - Black (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An extremely sturdy and very customisable bag to protect all kinds of kit. The dividers inside can be arranged in all kinds of configurations, providing a snug fit around smaller items like lenses as well as allowing for larger cavities to hold tripods and such like in place. I really can't stress how useful the inner dividers are - Vanguard have allowed for all kinds of shapes and sizes of kit inside.

Also, the side-access zips are very handy indeed, giving you a quick way in to the stuff you've packed at the bottom of the bag (rather than the usual blind fumbling around the bottom of cheaper bags!). Likewise, the fact that it opens completely up at the front is a bonus, and the bag stands upright as a kind of portable shelving unit in this way, your kit ready to select and use easily.

Really very well thought-out, with a rugged, protective build. A top-class kitbag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, rugged and highly adaptable backpack, 17 Aug 2013
K. Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This UP-Rise II 48 backpack from Vanguard I a big and very sturdy yet light, weighing only 2.270 grams, and easily carried backpack aimed at the photography market.

We'd been looking at a better pack for carrying our birding bits around (mainly binoculars, cameras and video camera) and this has fit the bill. I should note that I'm no photography expert so am not using it with a lot of the equipment a photographer would carry and have some stuff in there that they might not but I'm still very happy with what it does for my needs.

It contains multiple sections for carrying a range of different equipment (including laptops or tablets if needed in the back, a tripod holder on the side and a section for extras such as paperwork in the front) and has a configurable compartmentalised large middle section which is easily configured to whatever equipment you want to take with you. This middle section can be further expanded via a zip on the front.

For something so large it really is surprisingly light but it feels very sturdy and very much up to the job of keeping expensive equipment safe and dry. It also comes with an additional wet weather cover to make doubly sure if it pours it down.

This pack is also designed to be very comfortable with well padded straps and a solid and comfortable padded back. Overall this is comfortable, configurable , practical and sturdy backpack and will be getting a lot of use here when we're out and about with our equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive, 26 Sep 2013
All of them Witches (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's very well designed. I have an old bulky SLR and some other equipment and it only part filled this backpack. There are various pockets, zipped compartments and it's very padded and compartmentalised inside. probably the main observation I would make is that t is really designed for the very well equipped and dedicated photographer rather than the casual user due to the sheer number of inner compartments available.
It comes with a simple but effective rain cover which completely encompasses the pack and is very light and suprisingly unobtrusive despite its bulky appearance. I haven't got a tripod myself but there's space built in for quick retrival of one should you desire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed bag but quick access wasn't as helpful as I hoped, 22 Sep 2013
L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hope this review helps someone. I've delayed writing it until I've really had chance to try it out and I've tried to give all the information I wished I'd had when I was trying to decide on the right bag for me.

It's a very well constructed bag which will give many years of service - it's light but robust.

The construction of the bag is excellent, you really get a sense of quality when you touch the bag and will trust every clip and strap. My only criticism with the construction is that a few of the zips don't quite close fully. Some of them have covers at the end so they finish properly, but a couple don't and there's a small gap. To be fair, I only noticed those because the rest of the construction is so spot on.

There is a large safe dedicated pocket for a laptop. I very rarely take my macbook pro out with me, but I'd be happy it was safe in this bag - it's when it's not in the bag that I'd worry ;-)

A rain cover is an absolute must for me.
If you are taking enough equipment out with you to need this size bag, you are probably planning on being out for a long time. Being outside for a long time in the UK and carrying hundreds/thousands of pounds worth of delicate electrical equipment with you means you need a quick and highly effective way of protecting it all from rain. The included rain cover fits in the front pocket of the bag, it includes a small clip though, so if you needed that space for something else, the cover can easily clip to any number of places on the outside of the bag.

On the plus side: The inside of the bag is completely changeable, you can move all the dividers and make it fit the kit you are using, it takes seconds to change and there's plenty of velcro to keep it all secured. But if you are using the quick access opening you'll need to keep the larger dividers in their original positions so it all lines up.

My biggest criticism of the entire bag is the quick access opening. The bag is large and quite bulky and positioning it to gain access to the opening, while carrying the bag securely and having a free hand to actually retrieve the camera - I found awkward. I found it much easier to just open the bag normally. I like the idea of being able to grab the camera quickly from the bag, but if I was in a hurry to get a shot and rushing, I don't think that would be the safest time to be using this pocket. If you are planning on using it yourself - practice first!

So don't use the quick access then I hear you say....well yes, but...the part that opens up is actually the thinnest part of the bag, it's still padded, but half as thick as the rest of the outer bag. I didn't like having the back of the camera body in the weakest part of the bag, although it's not the most delicate piece of equipment I carry, it's the most expensive. Ideally I'd re-position the dividers so the camera is on the other side of the bag and keep the quick access pocket for access to something else, but I haven't worked out the perfect set-up yet. There's an outside pocket for water and the opening is too big for keeping memory cards there. Any ideas?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Backpack, well made and fits my Dji Phantom 2 well., 31 May 2014
Claire Genge - See all my reviews
I brought this for my Dji phantom 2 plus bits and it works well, it'a not an ideal fit but once you have moved a few things around it fits well and doesn't look too big. There are specific backpacks for the phantom but they are much bigger and cost more so I think it's a good fit for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera backpack :-), 29 Jan 2014
V. Radonic (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
Well, nothing much to add to other feedbacks, because it is really a good backpack, good quality materials and well padded. The ONLY thing I am missing are inside pockets that Tamrac backpacks have :-). I am using it for my Canon EOS 7D, 3 lenses, plus some accessories and tripod :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highend quality at it's best., 15 Sep 2013
OrganicGreen "Knowledge is King and books a g... (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is fantastic. It's us very robust and made with a high level to detail I have never seen. You have front and side access to the main compartment. The zips are hidden so you can't see the seam when zipped. There us a rain/shower bag to cover the whole thing like a rain coat. It has air vents to the part that sits on your back so you don't sweat when carrying it for a long time. It is fully padded all over included padded adjustable compartments for your lenses and main camera body. It is super padded so very comfortable when carrying heavy load. It had a padded convenient handle to the top. Adjustable size to expand it to make it slightly bigger. If you have a lot of equipment to carry then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential camera kit, 10 Sep 2013
Keris Nine - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Bearing in mind that this backpack is made to carry a pro DSLR and an extensive amount of camera equipment that only a serious photographer would need, the Vanguard UP-Rise II 48 is accordingly well designed, offering space, ease of accessibility and, most importantly, all the protection you'd want for your equipment.

On first glance the backpack looks a little bulky, but it's surprisingly lightweight and, even when packed, the distribution and balance of the design means that it feels light and comfortable to carry. What looks like bulk is actually essential to give the padding and protection that you'd want for your gear, and what looks like a complicated amount of straps, buckles, zips and velcro also proves absolutely essential to hold everything securely in place. Once you're used to having everything where it should be, it does also prove to live up to the promise of being quick and easy to get access to the essentials.

There's plenty of space in the pockets for smaller items and spares, but it might be better to pack those into your own handy wrap folders rather than have them lying loose in the pockets. I haven't had any need to open up the extra expansion capacity of the backpack, but it's good to know that it's there if you need it. Any niggles or issues with ease of access, particularly when the tripod is attached, are minor and I'm sure I'll find ways around this when I get used to it.

Everything about the design and construction of this Vanguard backpack is well thought out and made of the highest quality materials. If you're a serious photographer, it's one essential piece of kit that you really can't afford to do without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and useful, 10 Sep 2013
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I unpacked this backpack, the first thing I noticed was the very high quality of the materials and the workmanship. It is surprisingly light for such a big bag. The wide shoulder straps are padded for comfort as is the back portion of the piece. This back padding allows free-flow of air and stops that awful stickiness that I've found with other bags, when I'm hot from walking. The hip belt is not padded but I haven't found it uncomfortable at all.

The outer zips have rainproof plackets and there is a separate rainproof cover that fits over the whole pack. There is an extension zip for the outer pocket and a tripod holder on the side of the pack. It would probably take a collapsible waking stick if you are a walker and not a photographer.

Within there are lots of velcroed compartments that can be rearranged to suit the moment. It is capacious to a degree. There is also a section for paperwork or a tablet at the front.

Overall this is a well-made, strong backpack that is a decent enough size to hold everything I want to carry. It is comfortable and easy to put on or take off - a consideration if you are not tall and strong-armed! - and the workmanship is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 10 Sep 2013
shpadoinkle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Amazing quality backpack, just right to fit your delicate gadgets in, such as camera, phone, binoculars, even laptop. there really is space for everything, and every compartment is padded luxuriously. Once you take one of these backpacks out for a spin, be it birdwatcher, photography, camping...you will wonder how you got by without it for so long. This will reliably keep your stuff safe and dry.