Published 23 months ago by Jules

3.0 out of 5 stars Black Ink dissapears fast...
I've been using Epson Printer since 2002 (had 3 printers and all were one in all thing, like copier, scanner).
So I love the simplicity of using Epson, like the software that comes with, etc.
Published 24 months ago by TAK

4.0 out of 5 stars Drinks ink like George Best, but prints/scans & copies like a champ, 29 Nov 2012
Jules (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Epson Expression Home XP-405 Touch panel Small-In-One with Wi-Fi Printer (Electronics)
Having been without a printer for some time, and finding not having one problematic in this modern age, i decided it was time to get back upto speed & so plumped for the Epson XP-405. With space around my PC at a minimum, the main selling points for me are the compact size & wireless connectivity. I have the printer a few rooms away from my PC, it only gets 2 bars, but works fine. To get the printer to work wirelessly, you'll need a wireless router & have to input the wireless key (WPA) password for your router upon setup(BT homehub's have them on a sticker at the back of the router). Here are my current thoughts on the product:

Pros:
-Print is clear & vibrant.
-Easy to follow 4 step setup guide.
-Wireless & USB connectivity.
-Can be linked through Epson connect & print from a mobile PC, laptop, smart phone or tablet etc..
-Small LED screen for easy operation.
-Modern sleek design.
-Compact size.
-Solidly built.
-Reasonably light weight.
-First four inks supplied, along with power cable.

Cons:
-Front LED & control panel area seems a bit flimsy if you apply too much pressure on the buttons.
-The USB A-B cable is NOT supplied with the printer.
-Drinks ink quite quickly.
-Locked into buying Epson ink cartridges that cost over £20 for a, four pack, ink replacement.

In conclusion, the Epson XP-405 is great for light home usage, i'm very pleased with my purchase overall. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Black Ink dissapears fast..., 31 Oct 2012
There are so many positive (like quality of the scanning, printing quality, touch screen), so I would like to point out some negatives (as everyone so far gave 5stars for this model).

- Black ink goes out fast (I only printed around 30 pages, and it says I need to change the cartridge...). This machine also has automatic "Power Off" system (which can be configured in setting), and it was switching off every 30mins or so in the beginning. Every time it switches off, the head was cleaning itself and consuming a lot of ink...

- No unofficial cartridges available at the moment (Oct 2012). It will be expensive to run.

- Wifi connection doesn't pick up signals as smooth as it should. This is a bit of disappointment for me personally. It was quite easy to set up the wifi (laptop, two iphones, and ipad). I would say it works most of the times (when I really need that work, it doesn't!), but sometimes 3 or 4 out of 10, haven't worked (no matter how close you get to the printer). I just tried now as I type this and it worked.

I would probably put 3.5 stars for this model, but certainly not 4star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little printer, 24 Oct 2012
After wasting my money buying complicated useless iphone/ipad printing apps I decided to replace my printer with a simple easy to use one to use with my ipad/iphone. This is it. Just plug it in and away you go. No complicated set up. No cd setup installing. Ideal and less than 70 quid. It also has 'AirPrint' which makes everything so much easier.
I am a low user so not sure how the ink will last. Comes with starter inks and if you shop around replacement inks can be found for £20. If you are a low user, don't want lots of features but just want to print out web pages,emails and docs from your iphone/ipad then this is the printer to buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars very fussy, 4 Sep 2013
this has a habit of refusing to feed paper after a paper jam and Epson dealer said my warranty was invalid using ciss system even though the fault was mechanical the fault still persisted even after dealer inspection the cure is to move the wheel in the paper feed till it clicks . the wheel is d shaped to feed the paper in

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin...!, 8 Jan 2013
Well I agree that some of the parts appear a little flimsy / breakable and I CERTAINLY agree that the start-up instructions and diagrams are pretty basic, so I nearly gave it only 4*. But it is dead easy to set up, from start to test-printing an email in my inbox. If a techno-numpty like me can do that in onew hour, then... :-). Quality appears excellent and speed is perfectly acceptable. This is only on one evening's use!

Pros

- cheap as chips
- very compact, not too heavy: would go on most desktops
- quality appears excellent
- colour reproduction ditto
- reasonable speed
- wifi set up is dead easy: and it works!
- excellent for the home / student user, I'd've thought

Cons

- some parts appear a bit flimsy
- instructions pretty basic

Jury out

- ink consumption
- reliability
- troubleshooting / jams etc

I'll update this review if there are any problems, but so far - excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Setup simple, great quality prints - what more could you ask?, 17 Mar 2013
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Super-easy to set up without a computer. We purchased this mainly to print from iPhone and iPad via AirPrint, and were relieved that it's completely standalone and doesn't need to be set up with a computer or anything. Simply add your wireless details and you're ready to go. You can even use all the scanning features on your Apple device if you download the free Epson app - scans came through crisps and clear, with all the usual cropping and adjustment features in the software.

Print quality is great as you'd expect from an Epson, on both plain and photo paper. Loading paper is also no-faff, with the printer doing all the hard work for you.

A great purchase - more than satisfied and would recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Printer!, 30 Oct 2012
Practically set itself up all I needed to do was put the WIFI password in and it was done!! Can print from my iPhone, iPad and my sons laptop :). No set up for iPhone/iPad it was just there!! I have had problems with every printer I've bought and setting them up. Easiest one I've ever bought by a mile!! I love it ❤

3.0 out of 5 stars Enable to use as advertised, 18 Dec 2012
Advertised as being compatible with the ipad. Even after downloading the epson app.to the ipad still unable to make connection with printer.
Works with the laptops but not the ipad 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for Printing from IPad 4, 9 Feb 2013
I bought this as it has all the WIFI connectivity to allow printing from an IPad. (Which my EPSON Photo PX710W Wi-Fi printer can't do - in fact I would not recommend this expensive printer due to poor instructions, paper handling etc.)
The printer was easy to set-up (although took a while - including flash software upgrade) - but it just got on with the set-up with no silly user interventions - except inputting router serial - I was expecting problems and lots of head scratching - but pleasantly surprised that it worked without a hitch!
Can now print from Ipad. Wireless strength 'so-so' (but this may be more an issue with BT Home Hub) - currently I generally use the ipad about three rooms away - so for me not a problem.
Quality of the printer - looks a bit flimsey in some areas - but for the price this is a good buy.
I don't expect much in the way of flexibility in handling heavier paper weights - but not needed by me - only simple printing jobs required.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good printer but !: And the Pain goes on, 26 Oct 2013
I have had this printer from 31 August 2013. Like most people, I buy other makes of printer ink as the printer makers Ink are expensive by comparison. I have been doing this for years with other printers with no problems, until now! Epson have a system set into their printers that tells you that you are not using their ink and then they continue to almost harass by delay, in getting on with the job of printing your work. I am not and never thought that I was ever under contract to buy the makers Ink when I purchased! I have very good to excellent results from my compatible Inks and I find this continual interruption that Epson have now put into their Printers programme a real nuisance that is intended to make you buy their products at least twice the price or more. I will never buy another Epson Printer again if this continues.
Since my last report I have had downloads from Epson who still make life difficult with this Printer using compatible inks! If they can tell that you are not using their Ink, what else can they get information on? Is this the next stage! They have now taken away some functions like alignment! I see the solution as this. They should inform the buyer that ONLY Their Inks are to be i.e. SIGNED Not compatible with other makes of Inks! I should have stayed with Canon!