5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it
A very good and exciting movie, although I am a 74 year pensioner, I still enjoy watching new and modern DVDs.
L.F.Ellis
Published 17 months ago by Leonard Franklin Ellis

1.0 out of 5 stars 3D???????
Awful film plus the 3D was awful. Percy Jackson is the yanks version of harry potter, but nowhere near in the same class, the 3D is one of the worst I have ever seen, with the background, which was so fuzzy and the actors heads looked all out of shape, if you love this film or just fancy giving it ago then the 2D version is a must.
Published 15 months ago by THE OUTCAST

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 15 Feb. 2014
L.F.Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, not so great if you've read the book, 19 Dec. 2013
Bwlvych "Bwlvych" (Merton, Devon, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
This is a tough film for me to review, my 2 boys (aged 9 and 10) loved the film and couldn't wait to watch it again so I am giving it a 5 as they are the target audience.

The special effects are great which gives believable bad guys for the heroes to defeat, easily.

For me the huge weakness lies in the fact they have ripped the heart out of the book, there is no character development and the important, and difficult, relationship between Percy and Tyson is pretty much brushed aside. This relationship, and how Percy struggled to come to terms with it, was one of the key themes of the book and it's removal just leaves us with a bit of an action movie.

For me, 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU CAN'T GIVE UP ON FAMILY,, 2 Sept. 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
This is a story about special children growing up with absentee fathers who attempt to win their children's love with gifts while being worshiped as gods. In this installment Percy (Logan Lerman) and his friends go after an old sheep skin in order to save a tree. Meanwhile, bad guy Luke (Jake Abel) wants the fleece so he can revive his ancestor, Cronus known for eating his own young. Guess how that works out.

The film opens with a slight monologue to reintroduce the characters. Like the Potter series, the main character's acting in the low point. This film also has that hidden world within our own world aspect. The scenes boasts wonderful special effects. The individual scenes are more overpowering than the general plot designed to appeal to the pop culture youth. Leven Rambin was made up to look like Jennifer Lawrence running around with a bow. One can't help but draw to mind the block buster films of "Hunger Games" and "Potter."

This series seems designed for those slightly younger than the Potter crowd. The characters and plot lack the complexity and certainly less occult darkness.

A great film for the family to see, especially the older kids who aren't prone to nightmares. Contains a family message as Percy must learn to live with a half brother who is a cyclops.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3D???????, 27 April 2014
THE OUTCAST (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sea of Monsters, 14 April 2014
Mr. Beaumont - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit I'm not really into this type of film. But decided to take a chance on the 1st Percy Jackson film and really enjoyed it. So then I bought this one, Sea of Monsters, and this was so much better. While I did enjoy the first one this had something special about it.

I forget his name. But the lad with the one eye, I loved him so much, at times I even felt a little sorry for him. Shame this will be the last Percy Jackson film, but am really hoping at some point they do make a 3rd one.

This is also helped me too, to not just stick to my own type of films, but to try new styles too :)

4.0 out of 5 stars "You Want to Go on a Quest. It Must be Thursday.", 14 Jun. 2015
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It’s been several years since I read the second book in the Percy Jackson series. In fact, I read it not too long after the first movie came out. And considering how close the original book and movie were (not very), I didn’t bother rereading the book before seeing Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. I’m sure that was a wise decision.

Now, if you are new to the franchise completely, you would actually be okay to jump in here. There are really two prologs to the movie, one that gives the back story and one that sets up some of the action in this movie. Briefly, Percy is a demigod, specifically the son of Poseidon. He lives in modern day New York State, but there are plans afoot to over throw the gods of Mount Olympus….

Percy Jackson (Logan Lerman) is settling into his new life at Camp Half-Blood, the only safe place for demigods. Or so they think. One night at dinner, the camp is attacked by a mechanical bull, and the campers discover that the tree that protects the camp has been poisoned.

Percy’s friend Annabeth (Alexandra Daddario) is certain that only one thing can save the tree and their camp – the mythical Golden Fleece. Even though their nemesis in the camp, Clarisse (Leven Rambin), is sent out on the quest to find it, Percy, Annabeth, Grover (Brandon T. Jackson), and Percy’s half-brother Tyson (Douglas Smith) sneak out and attempt to find it on their own. The last known location was in the Sea of Monsters, better known to us mortals as the Bermuda Triangle. But when their paths cross with an old foe, the quest takes on an even more urgent tone. Can they find the fleece in time?

I remember enough of the book that I can already hear fans of the series screaming out about the inconsistencies. The only one that really annoyed me was Tyson. He’s a Cyclops, and the book makes it clear that, while not full grown, he is bigger than Percy and the others. Here, he’s the same size. They also changed a certain prophecy since the gap between movies being released in real life has made the original timing from the books impossible.

Basically, just know this. If you watch this movie, pretend the book never existed and you’ll be fine. Otherwise, you’ll just be nitpicking apart the film from start to finish. The book is not fresh enough in my mind to do that, which I think is probably a huge blessing.

But if you are able to watch this as a film itself, you’ll certainly enjoy it. After a bit of a slow start, things quickly pick up. The moment our heroes leave on the quest, the story really gets interesting, and it held my attention until the end. There are several good action sequences and twists to keep anyone entertained.

I do wonder, however, how they will handle the climax of this movie and the plot of the next book if the movie franchise goes forward. In attempts to wrap some things up in case the movie series doesn't continue, they might also be writing themselves into a corner.

I found it interesting that most of the adult actors changed between movies. That meant we get to see the likes of Nathan Fillion and Anthony Stewart Head in roles others played last time. I didn’t mind; in fact, I enjoyed seeing them in the movie. The main cast (Percy and his friends) are the same. Everyone does a good job with the acting.

However, let’s talk special effects. As you might imagine, the monsters make the film rather effects heavy. Some work, but for the most part you can tell that the characters are interacting with something fake. The opening scene, in fact, looks so fake even the actors looked CGI to me. On the other hand, Tyson’s one eye face was spectacular. Revolting but spectacular. And some other sequences in the film were just as much fun because of good effects.

In the end, yes I recommend Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. It is a fun pop corn flick that kids and their parents can enjoy together. Just don’t expect much faithfulness to the book and you’ll be just fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars A way for the producers and directors to redeem themselves in the eyes of the book’s fans, which they did, 15 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
I remember hating The Lightning Thief movie as an adaptation, because it was so unfaithful to the book. To quote myself “I don’t honestly know how it got away with it because not only did they miss out loads but changed the remainder so that it barely resembled the book” and this meant that I reluctantly watched this movie anticipating them to slaughter it. However I was pleasantly surprised…

It was no award-winning movie and will never be one of my favourites, but anything could have been better than my poorer than dirt expectations. Following a little more faithfully to Rick Riordan’s book it was enjoyable, but I would say that if you detested the first with a passion keep away from the movie franchise. I don’t even know if they got enough profit to warrant its continuation. Nevertheless this movie was a way for the producers and directors to redeem themselves in the eyes of the book’s fans, which they did in a way.

It was still filled with cheesy one-liners and countless faults, including little things like Clarise and Percy not constantly at each other’s throats; as well as more significant things like Grover’s mission to find Pan and the scene at Siren Bay. This wasn’t just an important bonding moment for Annabeth and Percy but for the viewer, and also leads on to the questioning of our heroes’ fatal flaws.

Overall though it wasn’t a complete flop, so long as you don’t take it too seriously and go in with quite low expectations, but I will always love the books no matter what the movie producers come out with and I’m glad they can’t change that.

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/

3.0 out of 5 stars Monsterous, 27 July 2014
Jules (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
Percy Jackson (Lerman) must go on a quest to retrieve the Golden Fleece from the Sea Of Monsters, in order to rejuvenate the protective barrier that keeps his home safe. However he is not the only one after it's restorative properties, as Luke (Abel) want's to use it to raise an ancient evil & punish their fathers. Can Percy get over his doubts about himself & save the day ?

Overall , Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters as a piece of entertainment is a pretty mediocre effort. The lore is presented in an interesting manner, and they do try to maintain the pace of the film with some exciting meetings of bizarre characters along the way with some neat CGI, but even they soon lose they're luster with some tired jokes. As a result the journey feels a little stretched & all over the place as they cram the best noteworthy action scenes near the end that at least make it somewhat worth sitting through the previous meandering. The quest & prophecy seemed all too familiar & hard to get excited about. Much like the new characters who are a bit cliche with predictable learning curves , such as the cocky Clarisse & Percy's new Cyclops half brother Tyson, whose lacks confidence & self worth.

The acting was reasonably good, Logan Lerman as the unsure in his abilities Percy Jackson & Leven Rambin as the competitive Clarisse were very convincing in contrasting roles. Alexandra Daddario as Annabeth & Brandon T. Jackson as faithful sidekick Grover chipped in well. Baddie Jake Abel as Luke, wasn't all that memorable due to Clarisse's character being more stand out worthy & easy to root against. Anthony Head replacing Pierce Brosnan did break the continuity from the first film, replacing him made things harder to understand as someone who hasn't read the books or watched them in close succession. But his mentor figure was more than credible. Stanley Tucci is thrown into a minor, perhaps wasted role, but briefly shines with some humor & the usually charismatic & lively Nathan Fillion can only spark a little life into this in a brief cameo, his Firefly cancellation reference will be amusing to those viewers it's relevant too.

In conclusion, despite the nice ideas peppered through it & well done special effects, the characters & story didn't enthuse us to care what happened. The content is very mild, but will frighten young children. Worth a watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing follow up from the first installment, 18 Mar. 2014
I'm normally not one for film reviews as they can be so personal but on this occasion I thought I'd change that. I was somewhat looking forward to watch this having watched the first instalment recently on terrestrial TV. I felt it lacked the some qualities in the story line which did not seem to flow as well as the Lightning Thief. I suppose it I may have had to high an expectation since very few sequels are as good as the first. The cinemaphotography was good likewise the music but it lacked finesse overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book but way better than the first film, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
This review is written from a book lover's perspective, because they've seriously messed up this series. However, I can say that the writers have at least tried to fix some of the issues caused by the disaster of the first film.
The overall tone is nice, the young demigod struggling with his power and his place within the world is appealing and for teens very relatable. And the fact that they've kept the story - the search for the Golden Fleece- pretty much the same is quite nice. I was annoyed with the lack of guinea pigs, but the wedding dress was a nice touch.
As I said, story was in line with that of the book and the characters followed closer to that of the 'Sea of Monsters' character development. While the cgi was really good and perhaps necessary, some probably found it too much. I liked it.
The acting isn't the best but you have to work with what you've been given. Logan L is nice to look at...
One thing I do like about this film - that definitely isn't in the books- is the fight at the end. While I dont approve of changing things to suit the writers' needs, I believe that from a cinematic point of view it provided a good climax for the film.
Overall, the books are a million times better, but if you want easy to watch, easy to follow fun, then this film is certainly for you.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD]
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] by Thor Freudenthal (DVD - 2013)