5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it
A very good and exciting movie, although I am a 74 year pensioner, I still enjoy watching new and modern DVDs.
L.F.Ellis
Published 10 months ago by Leonard Franklin Ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing follow up from the first installment
Published 9 months ago by Ice Nut

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 15 Feb 2014
L.F.Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, not so great if you've read the book, 19 Dec 2013
A. G. Cook "Bwlvych" (Peacehaven, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
This is a tough film for me to review, my 2 boys (aged 9 and 10) loved the film and couldn't wait to watch it again so I am giving it a 5 as they are the target audience.

The special effects are great which gives believable bad guys for the heroes to defeat, easily.

For me the huge weakness lies in the fact they have ripped the heart out of the book, there is no character development and the important, and difficult, relationship between Percy and Tyson is pretty much brushed aside. This relationship, and how Percy struggled to come to terms with it, was one of the key themes of the book and it's removal just leaves us with a bit of an action movie.

For me, 2 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing follow up from the first installment, 18 Mar 2014
I'm normally not one for film reviews as they can be so personal but on this occasion I thought I'd change that. I was somewhat looking forward to watch this having watched the first instalment recently on terrestrial TV. I felt it lacked the some qualities in the story line which did not seem to flow as well as the Lightning Thief. I suppose it I may have had to high an expectation since very few sequels are as good as the first. The cinemaphotography was good likewise the music but it lacked finesse overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU CAN'T GIVE UP ON FAMILY,, 2 Sep 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
This is a story about special children growing up with absentee fathers who attempt to win their children's love with gifts while being worshiped as gods. In this installment Percy (Logan Lerman) and his friends go after an old sheep skin in order to save a tree. Meanwhile, bad guy Luke (Jake Abel) wants the fleece so he can revive his ancestor, Cronus known for eating his own young. Guess how that works out.

The film opens with a slight monologue to reintroduce the characters. Like the Potter series, the main character's acting in the low point. This film also has that hidden world within our own world aspect. The scenes boasts wonderful special effects. The individual scenes are more overpowering than the general plot designed to appeal to the pop culture youth. Leven Rambin was made up to look like Jennifer Lawrence running around with a bow. One can't help but draw to mind the block buster films of "Hunger Games" and "Potter."

This series seems designed for those slightly younger than the Potter crowd. The characters and plot lack the complexity and certainly less occult darkness.

A great film for the family to see, especially the older kids who aren't prone to nightmares. Contains a family message as Percy must learn to live with a half brother who is a cyclops.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better and better!, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
I saw Percy Jackson and the lightning thief when if came out a few years ago and just last night Percy Jackson and the sea of monsters was on sky premier and I had to watch to see of it was as good as the first, and I've got to say it blew my mind. Not many sequels are as good and the original movie but with this film saga it was not the case, I loved it!
This movie is full of action and special effects that will leave the audience wanting more because I definatly did!
Even though this movie does end on a cliffhanger it doesn't annoy you it puts you on the edge of your seat and hungry for the next movie.
In no part of this movie left me guessing and with all of the twists and turns this movie is in no way predictable.
I also loved the fact that you get more of a back story that helps you to understand both of the movies better and the fact that they use real myths in the story line was great but the way they fit it in did not make it old as it fit into the story giving it a new edge.
So I would recommend this story to anyone at any age, children, teenagers or adults! So give this movie a watch, NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sea of Monsters, 14 April 2014
Mr. Beaumont - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit I'm not really into this type of film. But decided to take a chance on the 1st Percy Jackson film and really enjoyed it. So then I bought this one, Sea of Monsters, and this was so much better. While I did enjoy the first one this had something special about it.

I forget his name. But the lad with the one eye, I loved him so much, at times I even felt a little sorry for him. Shame this will be the last Percy Jackson film, but am really hoping at some point they do make a 3rd one.

This is also helped me too, to not just stick to my own type of films, but to try new styles too :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A way for the producers and directors to redeem themselves in the eyes of the book’s fans, which they did, 15 Nov 2014
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
I remember hating The Lightning Thief movie as an adaptation, because it was so unfaithful to the book. To quote myself “I don’t honestly know how it got away with it because not only did they miss out loads but changed the remainder so that it barely resembled the book” and this meant that I reluctantly watched this movie anticipating them to slaughter it. However I was pleasantly surprised…

It was no award-winning movie and will never be one of my favourites, but anything could have been better than my poorer than dirt expectations. Following a little more faithfully to Rick Riordan’s book it was enjoyable, but I would say that if you detested the first with a passion keep away from the movie franchise. I don’t even know if they got enough profit to warrant its continuation. Nevertheless this movie was a way for the producers and directors to redeem themselves in the eyes of the book’s fans, which they did in a way.

It was still filled with cheesy one-liners and countless faults, including little things like Clarise and Percy not constantly at each other’s throats; as well as more significant things like Grover’s mission to find Pan and the scene at Siren Bay. This wasn’t just an important bonding moment for Annabeth and Percy but for the viewer, and also leads on to the questioning of our heroes’ fatal flaws.

Overall though it wasn’t a complete flop, so long as you don’t take it too seriously and go in with quite low expectations, but I will always love the books no matter what the movie producers come out with and I’m glad they can’t change that.

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/

3.0 out of 5 stars Monsterous, 27 July 2014
Jules (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
Percy Jackson (Lerman) must go on a quest to retrieve the Golden Fleece from the Sea Of Monsters, in order to rejuvenate the protective barrier that keeps his home safe. However he is not the only one after it's restorative properties, as Luke (Abel) want's to use it to raise an ancient evil & punish their fathers. Can Percy get over his doubts about himself & save the day ?

Overall , Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters as a piece of entertainment is a pretty mediocre effort. The lore is presented in an interesting manner, and they do try to maintain the pace of the film with some exciting meetings of bizarre characters along the way with some neat CGI, but even they soon lose they're luster with some tired jokes. As a result the journey feels a little stretched & all over the place as they cram the best noteworthy action scenes near the end that at least make it somewhat worth sitting through the previous meandering. The quest & prophecy seemed all too familiar & hard to get excited about. Much like the new characters who are a bit cliche with predictable learning curves , such as the cocky Clarisse & Percy's new Cyclops half brother Tyson, whose lacks confidence & self worth.

The acting was reasonably good, Logan Lerman as the unsure in his abilities Percy Jackson & Leven Rambin as the competitive Clarisse were very convincing in contrasting roles. Alexandra Daddario as Annabeth & Brandon T. Jackson as faithful sidekick Grover chipped in well. Baddie Jake Abel as Luke, wasn't all that memorable due to Clarisse's character being more stand out worthy & easy to root against. Anthony Head replacing Pierce Brosnan did break the continuity from the first film, replacing him made things harder to understand as someone who hasn't read the books or watched them in close succession. But his mentor figure was more than credible. Stanley Tucci is thrown into a minor, perhaps wasted role, but briefly shines with some humor & the usually charismatic & lively Nathan Fillion can only spark a little life into this in a brief cameo, his Firefly cancellation reference will be amusing to those viewers it's relevant too.

In conclusion, despite the nice ideas peppered through it & well done special effects, the characters & story didn't enthuse us to care what happened. The content is very mild, but will frighten young children. Worth a watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mythic tales made new, 17 April 2014
Having been schooled in Greek Mythology I saw quite a lot of this coming but it was still entertaining none the less. I watched this directly after watching the first Percy Jackson film and they flowed into one an other very well. It has a host of great well known actors and some excellent young ones. Both films seen with a book on Greek Mythology would make an entertaining bank holiday weekend for the younger and older people in your home.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FILM, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this for my teenage daughter qnd she loved it. She wants the books now. Received within the time stated.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD]
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD] by Thor Freudenthal (DVD - 2013)