1,177 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars "When he speaks he never says it twice"
Most others who enjoyed this movie approached it with low expectations and came away shocked by how good it was. My expectations were high because I'd read a lot of positive reviews by the time it reached my part of the world, but my reaction was pretty much the same.

Published 19 months ago by A.C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, poor Bluray
The movie is really good and was looking forward to owning this on BD, but the upscaling has been done a bit badly. Pity. As a film like this deserves to be seen in HD. I think having the 2D and 3D versions on the same disc effected quality?!
On a positive note, it does have the 3D version as well, not that I care for 3D really, but handy for those who do.
Published 21 months ago by Rincewind

4.0 out of 5 stars "When he speaks he never says it twice", 5 May 2013
This review is from: Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)

This is the kind of simple, taut action movie I thought people had forgotten how to make. It throws you in the deep end and never lets you come up for air. At just over 90 minutes, DREDD tells its story, gets the heck out, and leaves you gasping for more. It's the best kind of comic book movie: the kind that stays true to the roots of its source material, attempts to recreate the sensation of reading a comic in a striking way (in this case, the slo-mo effects), and acknowledges deeper themes without being preachy.

The few negative reviews I've read seem rooted in an inability to accept a film that takes a different approach to everything else that's come out in the last few years. It's a film that doesn't constantly spoon-feed viewers by telling them what they're supposed to think about every character or situation or pander to family audiences, and it's all the better for it. To me, not having a convoluted plot with lots of clumsy character development and exposition is a merit, not a drawback. DREDD is an action film that exists to entertain, and it achieves this aim with a brutal efficiency of which other modern action filmmakers would do well to take note.

While it works on this visceral level, DREDD also has a degree of subtlety to it that makes it more rewarding than standard action fodder. Examples include a scene in which the rookie, Anderson, is in an elevator with Dredd, clearly traumatised after having to shoot someone. Dredd stares at her disapprovingly, scrutinizing her; Anderson notices and desperately pulls herself together. It's a subtle illustration of the brutalizing effect of Dredd's world and a hint of what made him the way he is, there for receptive viewers to pick up on.

Maybe it's this simple emotional core amid all the carnage. Maybe it's the stylish cinematography and evocative music. Maybe it's the way Karl Urban completely and unselfishly inhabits the character of Judge Dredd. Maybe it's Olivia Thirlby's sensitive performance as Anderson or Lena Headey's menacing turn as the villain of the piece. Whatever the reason, this is one of those rare action films that lingers in the senses long after you see it. Well worth owning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
After hearing that it did not do well at the box office I was not expecting much. However, it was terrific and clearly did not pander to the sort of market that the lamentable Stallone one did. I really hope that this earns the studio a sleeper hit and they make their money back because I would love to see another one like it.
Urban was just what was needed and I thought Thirby did pretty well too. Heady was not bad either.
The slo mo idea was good and the no holds barred violence was well done as a result.
The sentence is...excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshingly straightforward movie that deserves more respect., 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dredd [DVD] (DVD)
The rest of the reviews on here will give you all you need to know but my synopsis is this:

If you like action films but are bored of whole cities being devastated in implausible super hero movies then look no further. Dredd is straightforward and believable; benefiting from it's near future setting. The characters are engaging and Karl Urban should be commended for being to pull off Judge Dredd with style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anti-Climax???, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Dredd [DVD] (DVD)
This film is an introduction to a day in the life of Dredd, it doesn't need to be complex, it just needs to show one Judge's belief in getting the job done...and that's what DREDD has done. The pre-release interviews state it's for the fans and the comics were always about Dredd dealing with situations, no character building only Justice.

For the reviewers stating this film has an anti-climax, you really didn't get it.....OK there was no "boss fight", but that was the point, to Dredd, Ma-Ma was just another Perp in an everyday event in Mega City One, she derserved no more screen time at the finale than Dredd gave her, his job is to enforce Judgement to Criminals, that's what he did, then went straight back out to tackle more scum in Mega City's crime ridden existence. He is old Stoney Face, and his committment to the Justice Dept. is his chartacter, this film has always been for the fans, I for one am glad of the low budget and lack of interference from the Hollywood Gloss and Dross.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Film - Great Blu-ray - Disappointing Extras, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
DROKK IT!!!! This is one of only 3 movies I saw theatrically last year which saw me leaving the cinema grinning from ear to ear. For my money, forget The Dark Knight Rises, Dredd was THE coolest comic book character brought to big screen life in 2012.

A no nonsense, straightforward, hyper reality violent throwback to the movies of Paul Verhoeven like Total Recall and Robocop, Dredd glowers and grunts his way through this 90 minutes just like he should. I wont go into the specifics of the movie as anyone who knows already knows but the team behind Dredd deserve huge credit for giving us an adult action movie which really delivers. Karl Urban OWNS the role of Dredd now and Olivia Thirlby is brilliant as rookie Judge Anderson. Lena Heady also gives us an understated turn as baddie Ma-Ma.

The Blu-ray picture is crisp, clean and sharp as I would expect from a newly shot movie and the sound is superb. The 3D, I havent been able to verify, not having a 3D TV as yet, but in the cinema it was quite impressive. (and Im usually not a fan of 3D) However, I must knock a star off this product as I think the extras are very meagre. A 15 minute look at the history of Dredd which, while good, should be at least double the length. A 15 minute look at the VFX of the movie, a snippet on the gadgets in the film, a trailer, a look at the tower block location and a couple of interviews round up the selection we get. I would have loved a more in depth look at the evolution and making of the film and possibly a commentary or two from the guys behind it.

The lack of significant extras aside however this is a winner every day of the week and I would urge everyone with even a passing interest to buy a copy of the movie. In fact, buy two!!!! It did well here in the UK but bombed relatively hard in the US, taking a paltry $15 million at the box office. So we need it to recoup its $50 million budget on the home video market to at least give us a chance to see a sequel!!! So buy, buy, buy, buy. Now!!! It IS the law!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it!, 18 July 2013
What a great movie.

They really captured the feeling of the comic. Really hope that they decide to make a sequel. The scope of the world of Dredd is massive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judgement Time, 21 July 2013
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dredd [DVD] (DVD)
Karl Urban playing Clint Eastwood playing Judge Dredd is just one of the pleasures of this all-action (and lots of film blood) film. It seems to me much closer to the original comic than the Stallone film and it uses the structure of the block to generate a first-person shooter feel as our heroes fight their way through. Since many of its target audience are experts in both comic and games this is an excellent move. The film lovingly embraces the technology of Dredd and the back story of Megacity. The villains are horrid but not one dimensional, and Rookie Anderson introduces a new element to the plot. I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars good film, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
This is a really good film the effects and story line is well thought out would recommend for any one to watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban Dredd, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Dredd [DVD] (DVD)
Best action film I've seen in years. Short of starring Clint Eastwood in his prime you could not wish for a better Dredd than Karl Urban. He is Dredd.
And it is not a horrible PG watered down action film either. It's proper blood spraying old school violent. The soundtrack is great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did it fail?, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Dredd [DVD] (DVD)
I was a huge 2000AD fan back in my day and still hold onto a neat stack of comics in my attic. When they announced the film I drooling, when I saw the trailer the saliva flowed and when I saw the film I damn well almost drowned. I have read much on the net written about why it did badly, from adult rating, poor release timing, bad marketing and 3D only. I will not venture an opinion, but I have hardly read a bad review and both critics and audience lavished it with praise. I love this film and only wish that the sequels could somehow get made (come on Euro lottery was need a +£100 million payout)

Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) by Pete Travis (Blu-ray - 2013)