5.0 out of 5 stars A rare thing: headphones that pack style AND substance
After much deliberation, I took a (slight) chance on the Sol Republic V10s (Black), which appear to only just be breaking here in the UK (although, there are plenty of US reviews) and after a solid week of use, can safely say that I am pleased I did.

Published 11 months ago by S. Davies

I love the way these look and the removable cable is very useful in terms of long term use.
BUT terribly designed, the audio jack doesn't fit properly into the headphone socket so comes out extremely easily.
Fine if you're sitting still at a desk but useless whilst walking around, forget whilst running or at the gym.
Also not the most comfortable, ear muffs...
Published 9 days ago by Lucas Baumard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare thing: headphones that pack style AND substance, 29 Oct 2013
S. Davies "Audiophile-Read-a-holic" (London, England) - See all my reviews

When you first open the box, you are greeted with the various separates - two "sound engines" (the bits where the sound comes out!), the cable - complete with in-line mic/controls (it works well with my iPhone 5 - full control function and voice) and finally the headband - apparently this is virtually indestructible, although I have to admit that I haven't tested this out! The set also comes with a carry case, which is a nice extra. Once you have slotted the band into the two sound engines and adjusted for the correct fit, just plug in the cable and you're good to go!

Right off the bat, music was crisp and clear and backed by very powerful bass - I would add that this may be too much for some listeners who want a slightly more balanced sound, but I found it very enjoyable. I've listened to a wide array of music on the V10s including: Sleigh Bells, A$AP Rocky, Dirtyphonics and Foo Fighters, which all sounded tight and punchy, with clean highs and mids, all bolstered with that deep, deep bass; even the more acoustic/light tracks that do not require the huge depths that the V10s are capable of reaching, were detailed and performed well, which leads me to think that most genres of music will sound more than fine here.

Comfort-wise, I've sat and listened to several albums straight, with no sign of discomfort on the horizon. I can't think that you could ask for much more on this front - they are light, fit well and have excellent padding.

For any of you concerned with your headphone style, you can breathe easy - they look great and have more than enough on the appearance-front to challenge the likes of beats by Dr Dre.

Overall, I'd rate these very highly and if you are looking for headphones that tick the necessary style boxes, without giving ground on substance, these will certainly do the job.

**Just for your peace of mind, I also have/have had Beyerdynamic DTX-910, Grado SR80i and Sony MDR-7000 headphones, so I have a decent comparison/experience in this price/standard range.

*****Update - 6 months on and the V10s are still going strong... I am extremely delighted with the purchase; go ahead and get yourself a pair!

*******Another update - almost 12 months on now and I'm still incredibly impressed with the headphones - no complaints whatsoever. Well... Just one complaint... I've noticed that the price has now dropped by around £35 since I purchased them (@ £90), so if you needed extra incentive, now you have it - I think the current price is an absolute steal for what you get!

5.0 out of 5 stars No buyers remorse here!, 4 April 2014
Stephen Collins "World Traveller" (South East England) - See all my reviews
I like many others who want style and good sound in an affordable pair of headphones have spent way too many hours trolling across the internet reading gazillions of reviews trying to find that perfect pair. I like everyone else I suppose want a million dollar sound for around $150.00 - $300 max! well I think after much searching I may have just found what I was looking for.

Quick bit of background...I am late 40's with what I think is an ear for good sound quality, I think the term audiophile is nonsense as everybody has a different expectation of what a good sound is. I am Using mine with my Smartphone and Laptop for music and movies. I have owned various headphones over the years in the low to mid price band and probably enjoyed my Sennheisers best out of them all, I owned them whilst living in SE Asia, unfortunately the humidity eventually destroyed them rotting the foam earpieces.

So.....I compared these Sol HD's in a store against Beats, Monster, Sony, Marley, Skull Candy, Sennheiser Momentum and more, can't exactly recall the model numbers of them all but they were all in the NZD 150 - 350 range. I tested them all on my Galaxy S4 using MP3 tracks recorded at the standard 128kbps with the phone's equaliser set flat. I was in that store for a long time playing all sorts of songs on all the different headphones.

Based on music quality first I liked the Beats, Sennheisers and Sol Republic's the best, the beats contrary to the huge slagging off they get online sound pretty good actually! but not as good as the Sol's or Sennheisers as the bass presence is a little overpowering for me, the Sol's and Sennheisers are superb with a beautiful sound from low lows to sweet high's and a great mid range for vocals. PS: please don't think the Sol's lack in bass...they sound like you have a subwoofer in each ear awesome! it's just that the beats bass seems to be present all the time.

For looks the Beats are so pretty but oh so boring to me now as they have been so massively hyped and for me are a teenager thing now so there is no way I would wear them outdoors, just my feeling about them. The Sennheisers sound great but again they do not really fit in with my idea of stylish, they look kinda retro but in an uncool way, again just my opinion. The Sol's now they do fit with my idea of stylish which is minimalist but so refined, they look like an Audi sport!

I also love that interchangeable head band, removable cans and interchangeable cable...very cool design. Let's not forget also the 3 way remote with mic which works with Apple as always!! but not fully with my S4, the volume adjustment does not work. I know that you can buy an interchangeable cable that supposedly is fully compatible with Android devices. I get really frustrated by this pandering to Apple by all the major manufacturers, why will they not release just one accessory that says made for Android on the packaging!

The headband should fit most types of noggin pretty well as you can slide the cans up and down to accommodate most head types....do not worry about a loose fit they are firm and comfortable and no the cans will not slide off the end as they are a tight friction fit. You also get a decent tough material case to put your phones in which is a nice touch.

The fifth star is given for price!! wow is all I can say. Major thumbs up to Sol for releasing an awesome set of good looking well built and great sounding headphones in this price range. Once the word is out these phones are gonna get major popular I am sure

I have only had mine for a week, so although I have raved on a bit about them I do know that things could still go wrong after a bit more use so if they do I will update on that later, but for now I love them.

UPDATE......I have had them a bit longer now, so thought I would share my thoughts with you. Ok, so the build quality is very good and although I am not a rough user of headphones they are very well made and should last extremely well even with moderately rough handling. The sound has not changed much at all even after a run in period but still sounds pretty good. I was disappointed with the volume of them on my Samsung Galaxy S4 but that seems to be the phones fault as they are very loud when attached to my Sony Vaio Laptop. They are a good set of headphones which I will keep and use mainly for my phone and my computer, I just cannot honestly say that they sound great.

If you wear glasses as I do don't crush your ears against your head simply rest the arms of your glasses on the cans and that is quite comfortable. I really like the zip up water resistant carry case that is included, nice touch! I still feel a bit irritated about SOL pandering to bloody Apple inc and making the inline remote Apple specific...sucks for Android users as only play/pause work. I love almost everything about these headphones, just do some more work on the sound quality please SOL and I would call them perfect. Great and unique design using quality materials with nice extras and an ok sound. I got mine online for $130.00 NZD but would not have paid the $219.00 NZD they are asking here in NZ.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOL BEATS IT!, 3 Oct 2013
Jame (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
owning a pair of Dr Dre Beats Solo HD and comparing it with Sol Republic V10, Sol gets the upper hand. Crystal clear sound no matter how loud you have your music, beautiful bass, comfortable round the head and on the ears and also at a cheaper price then Dr Dre Beats Solo HD. You wont go wrong, BUY IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones for the price, 17 Jan 2014
I suspect that a slight premium is paid for the looks, but all the same, these are great headphones; especially considering how much you'll pay for over-priced, bass-heavy, fashion headphones from a certain Doctor.

They are pretty comfortable; although I still use an old pair of larger Sony headphones for longer periods if I am not on the move - the SOL ones can feel slightly "pinchy" after a while.

I'm not really an audiophile, but the sound is good; and the controls for the iPhone are handy. Apparently the headband is extremely durable - I've not had to test that out yet, but it is great that the cans, headband and cables can all be replaced separately in case something goes wrong.

If you're looking for a robust, stylish pair of headphones with good sound for a reasonable price, it's hard to go wrong with these.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: SOL Republic Tracks HD with V10 Sound Engine - Grey (Electronics)
great product would buy another and have told all my friends how good they are, Great service well done ta

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then beats, 18 Dec 2013
Looks excellent for its design. Compared with beats, I think this one has better quality. I suggest people who have limited budget but want to get better choice should try it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking headphones which sound good as well, 9 Oct 2014
Great looking headphones which sound good as well. Probably not the most premium sounding headphones, but good value considering it was on sale and I bought it at a reduced pricepoint. I really liked the inline remote as well, which I did not realize would be so useful and easy to use.

Pros: Tight bass, Nice design, Comfort, Good build quality, Value
Cons: Mids a little lacking, Does not fold up

1.0 out of 5 stars Great, unique look BUT terribly designed and badly implemented bass, 12 Oct 2014
Lucas Baumard - See all my reviews
Also not the most comfortable, ear muffs little on the small side, uncomfortable after wearing for more than 30 minutes.

In terms of sound, they produce a lot of bass for tracks with little to no bass, whilst produce no bass for tracks with bass. Its actually quite extraordinary. It makes listening to Fleet Foxes painful, whilst listening to Pendulum boring.

Have returned, very unhappy with this product

5.0 out of 5 stars headphones are pretty solid, great bass and treble, 15 July 2014
Came 2 days earlier than expected, headphones are pretty solid, great bass and treble. worth the the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 3 July 2014
The headphones are awesome definetly worth the money, quality and the sound is amazing.
The delivery was very fast, came 9 days earlier than expected.
I would definetly recomend them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›