Jennifer Ashley is a talented writer. Not only does she pen great pirate romances under the name Jennifer Ashley (The Pirate Next Door; The Pirate Hunter), she has given us super Regency Mysteries under the penname Ashley Gardner (The Glass House; A Regimental Murder; The Hanover Square Affair; Sudbury School Murders). In her latest (and I think best) pirate tale, The Care and Feeding of Pirates, Ashley gives us a memorable hero, an enigmatic heroine and a full body tale of yo ho ho.
Christopher Raine is a Gamma Rogue hero who meets his match with Honoria Ardmore. A proper lady in the fine Southern Belle Tradition, she has the steel of Scarlett O'Hara. Honoria has a "connection" to Raine's view - she's his wife! She is also the sister of Raine's enemy. Brother James sent Christopher Raine to his death on the gallows. Before he did this, Honoria had become Mrs. Christopher Raine, though Honoria forgets to "mention" that fact to Brother Dearest.
Nearly four years have passed, and suddenly Christopher is in London wanting his wife. Hum, how does one explain a dead husband? hehehe. Well, Ashley does with her delicate craft, in a tale that is funny, sexy (I mean SEXY!) and enjoyable.
So get to Yo-ho-hoing and have a great time with Ashley's best pirate tale yet. You will adore Raine and Honoria from start to finish. Ashley has proven to be a subtle writer that gives depth and intelligence to her characters, leaving us eagerly awaiting more tales on the "care" of pirates.
on 8 November 2012
I absolutely loved this series of (3) books from Jennifer Ashley, which started with the Pirate Next Door. I wish she'd written more of them! I love historical romances and these are a little bit different because they are about 'pirates' rather than the usual Regency rakes. The heroes are damaged 'Alpha' males but the women are feisty enough to stand up to them. Other reviewers have detailed the plot, so I'll just say they are a mix of romance, humour and adventure, with a few steamy scenes - a sort of Pirates of the Caribbean but with sex. This one is probably my favourite (although it's really hard to choose!) but it will make more sense if you start with the first book, the Pirate Next Door. Recommended, particularly if you enjoy authors such as Stephanie Laurens, Julia Quinn and Danelle Harmon.
on 7 January 2013
Three pirate books are not enough. I really need more. The three books are thoroughly addictive, and the heroes are utterly edible and thoroughly gorgeous. The heroines themselves are also likeable (which is nothing short of miraculous in this genre), and makes a very welcome change. These are a series I will certainly be reading more than once.
on 21 September 2006
I have just finished reading this book, the last in the series of Jennifer Ashley's pirate tales (i think???!!!) and i have to say these books are fabulous and definately worth a read. Weather you love pirates or are looking for steamy romances with twisting stories these books are for you!

I love love love Christopher Raine in the last book, what a dream boat! You will fall head over heels with one of the three pirates from the different books. For me 'The care and feeding of pirates' was the best of the three.

Definately a book you cant put down and never want to end.
on 28 June 2014
Jennifer's stories keep you enthralled from beginning to end. It's not often that you find an author who can bring her characters to life on paper. A special skill.
on 21 September 2014
The hero's in this series are over the top arrogant and domineering and I never warmed to James Ardmore who was in all three books.
on 27 May 2015
Humerous Regency period novel with lots of action and adventure thown in.