on 26 September 2012
After thoroughly enjoying the first book in this series I was keen to see if the author had kept up the high standard she had set. I'm glad to say that she certainly did. This book sees Trevor trying to recover both mentally and physically from the injuries he sustained in the last case. Just as Peter, his colleague, is beginning to despair of ever seeing his friend return they are thrust headlong into a new case.
I thought this was an even more gripping story than the last. There were many suspicious characters among both patients and staff at the hospital and the author's description of the old and almost derelict buildings added to the tension. The final thrilling conclusion was well worth the wait.
We get to know a little more about the main characters in this book. I particularly liked the description of the pathologist and his assistant sitting in the mortuary drinking coffee much to the horror and disgust of the cops. I also loved the way DS Collins refuses to curb his temper in the presence of his superiors, most of who he views as bureaucratic and beneath his contempt. I actually think he is a much more complex and interesting character than Trevor and really feel the series should be "The Joseph and Collins Detective Series."
Whatever they're called I look forward to the next in the series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 May 2013
Having read other books in this series I was looking forward to starting this one and it didn't let me down. Initially I was intrigued to see how the author was going to dig our protagonist out of his torpor, but there is nothing like a murder on the doorstep, or at least a body outside your window, to get a murder detective motivated. As with the previous Detective Trevor Joseph stories the pace is just right, there are any number of suspects and there are red herrings aplenty. I enjoyed the book very much. I would say that I will download further books in the series but I have already done so.
on 8 September 2012
Katherine John is a new author for me, picked up through the lists on Amazon. Have now enjoyed reading all of her listed books, downloaded one after the other as I found them very interesting. With lots of crime books out there, the author was able to add her own spin on what is normal, with her main characters likeable and engaging. Looking forward to more from this author.
on 21 October 2013
I bought a book by Katherine John called Six Foot Under. This is the same book but with a different title! The book was good but I don't want to read it twice!
on 26 August 2012
Another gripping page turner from one of my new favorite authors. I really enjoy a good police procedural and this book (and series) has it with bells on!

From the murder in the quite chilling prologue, right up to the final full stop, Midnight Murders kept me hooked and enthralled.

I do so love this series, it's jam-packed with the tension, twists, red herrings and convincing plots that distinguish great thrillers from the mediocre.

And the main characters are just so likable and engaging. No cardboard cut-outs here, the dialogue is very real and often, amusing.

I'm off to buy book 4 (I inadvertently read book 3 first.) Altho only finished reading this one minutes ago, I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms already! I think I'm addicted to this series.
on 10 January 2014
I've read 4 of this series and have yet to be disappointed. These stories are compulsive reading and if you've not tried any of them take a chance, you'll be happy that you did.
on 4 February 2014
I gave three stars because the story was ok however the ending was a bit sharp and a little bit of a let down. No real twist to end on
on 30 July 2013
I have only just started reading this book, and seem to be reading them all out of order - despite referring to the authors website and others to try and make sure I read them in the right order!

OK each story is pretty standalone, but I would have preferred to read them in order to keep the background story and life of the key characters in a consistent timeline.

I will update this review again once I have read this book.

>> Amazon - it would help if you included the book order/sequence in the title e.g Trevor Joseph series book #2
on 28 June 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this Katherine John novel. Trevor is recuperating in hospital from physical and mental injuries when an in-patient believes she has seen a body being buried in the grounds of the hospital. From then on the story moves along at a good pace with Peter Collins being his usual obnoxious self upsetting his new partner Dan and his boss Bill. There are neat twists and turns and some unusual characters. No need to tell you the story because that will spoil it for you - go ahead and read it - I'm sure you will be glad you did.
on 5 September 2013
This series of books is a good example of well crafted and engaging murder mysteries, with an unusual setting for each one, but with the same main characters. The coppers are a bit stereotypical, but then stereotypes persist for a reason, which might be that they are true. However, remember, senior police officers don't get to senior ranks without being able to lead their teams effectively or employ good police techniques.
Overall though, rattling good stories, well worth a look.