Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

VINE VOICEon 30 September 2013
This touching and harrowing story is even stronger for being true. As someone who is white/British the events that play out are shocking but also really informative and educational about a culture I'm unfamiliar with. The lead has shown great courage in making her story heard.
The book is well written and engaging throughout.
on 28 July 2014
After reading 'Shame' by Jasvinder Sanghera and 'Belonging' by Sameem Ali, both excellent books on the subject of forced marriage, along with 'Shamed' by Sarbjit Kaur Athwal regarding the honour killing of her sister in law and also a very inspiring and well written book I had high hopes for 'Shackled to my Family' by Samina Younis.

Unfortunately this book is a very poor relation to the previous mentioned books, very poorly written, with no cohesion or flow, and as a result it is very difficult to get into and root for the writer and her sister.

Though I have nothing but respect for a woman who has clearly escaped a forced marriage and violent family the story does feel one sided and without a clear end point, in fact the book ends on a particularly low note. After taking us through the first 16 years of her life in detail the end feels rushed and incomplete.

It is for these reasons not a book I can recommend nor will re read and do not feel it should be a paid for book at all. 1/5, I feel bad saying I hate it but I really, really didn't enjoy it and only finished it out of hope it would get better. It didn't.
on 13 August 2014
I really didn't like this book. I feel guilty to the author, Samina, for saying this, because I'm sure that she's been through a hard time. But, to be honest, after a few chapters full of full stops, and no other punctuation, I found her book incredibly boring and rambling, so I never got to find out what a hard time she'd had. I'm really interested in this genre, after reading 'A Fathers Betrayal', by Gabriella Gillespie; Maybe Samina needs to tell her story to a ghost writer.
on 5 January 2013
The book was very interesting, it give you an insight of how some Pakistani girls are treated however it would have been nice if the author had told us what exactly happen after her and her sister ran away and if she is still with Tariq
on 10 March 2015
This story is very sad and opens up all sorts of questions as to how falsed marriages are still taking place,there must be more that can be done for young women like this. A must read to open your eyes to what is wrong in this culture
on 23 December 2013
I was gripped right from the start to this book,shocking and heartbreaking story.highly recommended for anyone who is into reading true accounts of women who are ill treated an forced into marriage.
on 7 May 2014
Great book .I truly hope that young Asian cry for help will be heard and supported. I cannot imagine that this is happening in Britain. I praised those who talk about their story.
on 9 April 2014
This is a story that needs to be told, how Family life for some can lead to children not having a more easier life, Families can be a burden where they should be a joy,
on 23 February 2013
This book is full with examples how the muslim girls are treated, the experiences of the pakistanian girl are true and they only telling us that we are the person who decides for our life, for our future and destiny! This book have one massage only and that is
TAKE YOUR LIFE IN YOUR HANDS, DONT LET THE OTHERS TO DECIDE INSTEAD OF YOU !!!
on 11 August 2015
The 'flow' of the text is not that easy to read at times. It seems to be notes scribbled down hastily rather than a properly constructed novel. However, the story is one triumph over potential ruin and I had to read it all the way through in the same day. The only disappointment I suppose is that I think the author is harsh on Tariq. "I felt if I had not met Tariq I would still have a family". If the book is accurate then this statement is laughable as without Tariq the author would probably be dead or trapped in loveless marriage in Pakistan.