5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive router
Purchase
--------
I received the RT-AC66U router from Amazon on the 4th October 2012, which I had ordered the day before for the price of £152. At the time of writing this review it had gone up to £168, so I count myself lucky. Delivery, as is usually the case, was on time and the item arrived in perfect condition.

Features
--------
The...
Published on 5 Oct 2012 by Nchamp

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed emotions
the hardware specs, build & quality is solid but the software is premature and in the development stages. with time to perfect the firmware by Asus, this router has the potentials to become one of the best in the world.
Published 17 months ago by Al Amri

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router and does far more than my current requirements, 21 Feb 2013
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Asus RT-AC66U AC1750 Black Diamond Dual-Band WLAN Router, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I waited for a review of this router for 2 reasons, how good is the support from Asus and also if it doesn't breakdown after 3 months.

I can say both of the above have passed with flying colours. Asus released a firmware update after I told them of a feature I requested, so well done to them for that and also the fact that it is very reliable.

It has excellent bandwidth performance and I get great speeds on my mobile even from my garage. I believe the antennas are probably the main reason for the extra bandwidth. It looks nice and performs well.

I cannot vouch for the theoretical speeds it claims as I am not the kind of person to test these out. Although streaming video around the house is very very good. I had Transformers 3 streamed upstairs wirelessly and there was no problems.

The ac standard I have no equipment to vouch for, but I guess it is definetly future proof and I would hope I don't need another router in 2-3 years, but as always I guess I will need one in the next year and technology is zooming ahead like a Harrier jumpjet through the air.

I use both bandwidths, mobile devices use the 5Ghz and PC etc use 2.4Ghz and both work flawlessly around the home and outdoors.

Impressed overall and rate this router highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overprice, unreliable and not worth the hassle, 10 Oct 2014
This router works great for the first few days...may even a week. It gives a great first impression with blazing speeds but once the honeymoon is over the troubles start: continuously drops internet connection every one or two days. Have to keep on unplugging and re-plugging the Ethernet cable to reset the internet connection. Then slows does suddenly. Have to reset internet connection same method as before. Have tried updating the firmware and manually selecting a wireless channel. Works fine for a day or two before reverting to its bad behaviour. Also the user interface is full of bugs and does not display properly on a PC; need to keep on refreshing the menu screens to see whats on it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic router which is very stable, great range and looks good., 25 Nov 2014
I purchased this item with the intent to put DD-WRT on it, and use my Virgin 'SuperHub' in modem mode. Doing this is not for the faint hearted. It was a difficult process which took lots of patience. But once I finished it was exactly what i wanted and more.

Fantastic router which is very stable, great range and looks good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great WiFi high speed router..., 17 Jan 2014
Adt (Bucks Village) - See all my reviews
This really is a great product, although in IT for 30+ years I've got frustrated by some makes where the setup or Admin is nasty. Not this one, anyone should be able to follow the simple setup using the Web interface. I've been impressed for years with Asus motherboards, I've now added routers to the list...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 20 Mar 2013
V. Tse (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Summary: Mega easy setup wizard. For geeks, there's plenty of config options (eg port forwarding, sharing USB drives over the web, sharing printers etc). Range is nothing short of awesome too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Media Bridge knowhow, 8 Dec 2012
Got a second one to use as a media bridge and after messing around with it failing to connect I worked out that for 5GHz in the UK at least the router must be forced to low channels, 36...48 etc.

Getting ~ 300 Mbps throughput which I'm very happy with, finally my super fast internet has made it into the front room!

If you bridge on 5Ghz it will then give you another SSID on the 2.4 frequency, current firmware doesnt allow 'repeating' on the same 5GHz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
Very Good!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sure it will be great...eventually, 29 July 2013
I love Asus products but this is seriously half baked. The GUI is really impressive but the performance and stability shortcoming mean it can't be relied on. Have tried all manner of differing firmwares and the same issues would exist. If you have fibre and think this is the router for you think again. No doubt when the chipset has matured it will be great but for now it just doesn't work correctly or reliably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Aug 2014
Exactly what I needed thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected better, 9 Oct 2013
Sniipe (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these to replace my DLink DIR 655. I was going to gain 802.11AC and hopefully more range. I didn't notice anything extra in the range. So I got onto Asus and they suggested after a few tweaks that I should return it and get a replacement. So I did. There was no difference. I live in a house which is concrete and 35 years old. Its a 3 bedroom upstairs downstairs house.

I did like the interface. In the end I purchased two Mikrotik routers which did the job at half the price.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›