Colour Name: Blue|Change

Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First and foremost, this is an excellent little action camcorder.

Other reviewers have commented on the stiff buttons and, yes, I agree with them that they are stiff and, yes, this does stop accidental pushes.

Much as I am recommending this camera, you need to do a couple of things before buying to avoid disappointment.

The first is if you are using an Android phone (which will act as your viewfinder and playback). You will need to download the ActionConnect (all one word) App from the Play store. This is the rub. I can download and it runs fine on my HTC XE handset, however it is not available for my Samsung tablet (Update May 2013 - it now runs on my Samsung tablet as well...). So before you order, try downloading this App and making sure that it will run. If it doesn't then this is not the camera for you.

Secondly, in order to make this camera work, you need a buy a microSD card. It will take one of up to 32Gbytes, but it does need to be Class 6 or above. I did try putting in a Class 4 one that I had lying around and the camera didn't recognise it, even although I could see it installed in the camera as a USB device when connected to my PC. If your "disk" icon on the camera flashing, then it is likely to be a problem with the SD card and the camera will not respond to any button presses until you have sorted this out.

Assuming you've got the App working and remembered to factor in the purchase of a microSD (Class 6 or above), you're good to go ahead and order this camera.

Final point, another reviewer has mentioned firmware upgrades needing to be ordered by email. This may have been the case in the past, however the Android App detects when the firmware needs updating and provides you with a weblink to enable you to download it yourself.

I hope all this helps and happy Action Camcordering!
66 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2012
Small and handy HD action camera. This is potentially Hero 2HD killer. ( I have never owned Hero 2) Smaller, lighter and easier to use.

The Good:
Size
weight
wifi integrated,but android and iphone app needed for wifi operation.
Good quality with 720 and 1080.
Also in dark.
Lots of fun
almost 2 hour battery life.

the bad:(not a deal breaker for me)
Needed to restart couple times with reset button , after I shut down with 1080 mode. Some software updates expected
Software update must be ordered via email from the service department.
Operational buttons on the top are bit stiff. (positive:there is no accidental push)
No idea what username and password is needed in wifi access if using web browser.
So you need Android or Apple phone.
on 12 May 2014
first get the firmware update to avoid 30 minute limits on video capture.
has been mounted on my car, motorcycle and bike and gives excellent results.
mounted on bird table to capture birds
mounted on bush to capture butterflies.
time lapse function needs you to filter images using windows explorer to strip out thumbnails and order the images, especially as they span two directories or more if you run more than 1000 images but gives great cloud movements or sunset time lapse sequences using windows movie maker at 0.1 images per sec speed settings.
I do time lapses of people/places with no problem
take a 2 hour video from a motor vehicle and speed up film with movie maker to get a super speed version, very cool.
I got the full waterproof housing off ebay for about £22 which gives you full outdoor capability.
720 setting is fine for most things, 1080 for wildlife.
works brilliantly from the app via my iphone, galaxy s3 and ipad3 for remote photos and remote triggering of video.
on 30 January 2013
My brother has a GO PRO HD2 Motorsport edition camera that he uses recording trackday footage and its a great product. It is also very expensive especially when you factor in the various mounts ie suction mounts and a roll-cage clamp

I have recently got into doing trackdays and done lots of research on what camera would be good value for money. First thing that strikes you about this camera is that its very very small. I have a Kodak ZX5 i was going to use for trackdays but the poor quality sound caused me alot of issue's. No problems with sound with this Camera.

You will struggle to find many video examples of this camera in use on Youtube because its still quite new but the results are amazing. Also the firmware has been updated and the action connect software can now be used on your android mobile phone so that it acts as a viewfinder.

You can disable the LED on the front using the action connect software meaning you can film quite stealthily without anyone knowing. This is very useful as a trackday camera because you wont be distracting others with a flashing LED every 2 seconds. It also means you can use record when driving everyday on the road without gathering any unwanted attention ie the police asking why you are recording your driving.

This is a great product and now its got the WIFI sorted for Android phones its real rival for Go Pro. Obviously it doesn't have all the fuctions of the GO Pro but what it does do it does very well.
on 25 July 2014
Mine was very poor, although I may have just been unlucky. The battery coped very poorly with cold temperautures (-5 clesius to +5 celsius) running out of battery power after only ten minutes or so of filming, despite being fully charged at the start of the day. It also coped poorly in certain snow conditions, the image flickering between exposure settings. Image quality was good, but nowhere near as good as my friend's GoPro Black edition. The image juddered badly under vibration too, making it a sub-par choice for mountain biking.
All in all, a dissapointing camera. In the end it just stopped working altogether, which was actually a blessing as it meant I could send it back and get my money back. 'Luzern', the shop I bought it from, were excellent and refunded my money immediately.
on 8 April 2014
I used this camera on 2 snowboard trips and I was very impressed with the quality and functionality. But after comparing my footage to my friend's GoPro Hero 3 the difference was very clear. I've since bought the GoPro Hero 3+ and the number of functions, camera options and quality has completely blown this camera out of the water. For me it was definitely worth investing a GoPro but if you are on a tight budget then this camera will do the job.

Like with all action cameras the video quality suffers in low light. It has 60fps but only in 720p. The lighting was never good enough for me to get good quality 60fps shots so I always used the 30fps setting. The camera is quite light and is easy to hold with an extended arm mount. The camera doesn't come with any curved mounts for the helmet. As this camera fits a standard camera screw, I bought a camera to GoPro mount adapter and which allowed me to use this camera with cheap GoPro mounts. This camera doesn't come with waterproof housing which can be pricey so consider that on top of the cost of the camera if you intend to use it for watersports. The splash guard provided with this camera is sufficient for snow sports. The buttons were fine to operate with gloves on and the light indicator is easy to read.
on 2 December 2012
Horses for courses. I wanted a camera mainly to record enduro motorcycle green lane off road vids. I had and moved on a bullet cam made by Hedcamz previously that was very light and discrete but was a bit one dimensional and had a narrow fov at only 60deg. So I decided to get a camera with a wider field of view. The Ego has 2 views, 135˚ and 90˚ but only changeable via an app. device. The Ego is a great little camera with plenty of functionality (as long as you have an iphone/android or ipad) with very impressive results: The 720p footage at 60 fps is extremely smooth and has my vote over the 1080p which can seem a little jerky in comparison.
It is also less bulky and lighter than the GoPro Hero.
One thing I have noticed is that it is very light sensitive and if you are not pointing it down and away from the sky brightness yoiu can under expose whats going on on the ground.
Check out Mat @ Tecmoan's in depth video review of the Ego:
[...]
I initially stuck some self adhesive velcro to the back of the Ego and sewed a strip of velcro to the front of my jacket to mount as at only 75g was easily light enough to stay there but found the angle of the camera changed as I moved around on the bike so as Mat suggests in his vid I bought a GoPro helmet mount (as the Ego doesn't come with a radiused one) of eBay for £5 and filed the center slide down a fraction and the Ego mount slides on perfectly.

Seems to do everything else it advertises well and is over £100 less than a GoPro.
on 27 May 2013
Ok, i have recently bought this Action Cam. I attended the Gadget Show Live earlier this year and the Go Pro was there, and well that seems a great piece of kit. My mate has one and it does the job perfectly, however it is very expensive and I was actually going to buy one whilst there but the salesman was not interested so i didnt buy one in the end however........... as i was looking into an alternative my mate showed me this Action Cam and to say that i am impressed is an understatement, so far it seems to do the job really well.

Admitedly i have not used it lots as I have been lazy and only been out on my bike a couple of times with it. My mate and I are going to compare his Go Pro with this next week hopefully so then I can do a proper review to compare it.

Dislikes: not many mounting options, I have the body mount and it is a bit hit and miss trying to get it to sit were you want it, would be good if it had a tilt on the mount like the Go Pro.

Likes: Price £100+ cheaper than alternatives with similar specs. Well made and can even use the buttons with my gloves on.

Will update the review when i have used it a bit more
on 12 January 2014
This product is amazing I have been using this ego cam in the sea and everything and only a few problems (overheating) apart for this small issue the camera is amazing and i think better alternative to the gopro hero 2. The camera cam fix gopro mounts live the chest and head mounts, however for curved ehesive mounts you have to do very fine fileing/sanding and then should fit like a dream but I suggest that you buy a gopro quick release - [...]copy this like to a good mount clip. The tripod screw mount thing that you unscrew should be an easy fit to the gopro clip any other mounts can be found on the website under. Camera/video\\go pro accessories and there you go a go pro camera message me on twitter @ASyndicated if you need any questions on this amazing LIquid Image EGO action camera x[...] - gopro mounts and things !!
on 27 June 2013
I recently bought the Ego with the intent on using it for mountain biking and some road biking, I have to say apart from a slight hiccup (the early firmware stopped the device recording after 28 mins 59 secs and needed restarting manually, fixed quickly by the support team with firmware 3.3.1.0) I am extremely pleased with the quality of the footage. I will never be a pro downhill rider (too old) but the footage from this camera clearly records my rides and crashes providing a valuable record of all my activities. I have yet to try the trick to run the unit on external power (supposed to allow the unit to run up to 8 hrs on a 32gb card) but the 2hr record time is great and the wifi connectivity although a little fiddly has been a god send in the field when I want to check the framing of the camera. I have the chest mount, handlebar mount and the helmet mount and they all perform well. Some reviews state a "milky" look to the images but I only found that to be the case when I got finger prints on the lens or had the protective cover on that had finger prints on, other than that the footage is comparable to far more expensive models. I expect the app and firmware to be updated with tweaks etc but generally for the price I have to say its a great piece of kit.