5.0 out of 5 stars What a tool!
An excellent BBQ tool, great for chopping chicken joints etc.
Razor sharp.
Also brilliant for removing Jehovas and Mormons from your front door step.
Published 3 months ago by Kegs

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice weight and design but not very robust.
The cleaver is very sharp and have a nice weight to it, cut through bones easily and accurately because it's quite light. However the bamboo handle splitted on mine and the edge chipped a little. I'll just gonna have to sharpen now amd then. I like the cleaver, just a shame it's not very robust but for the design and usage 5 stars.
Published 2 months ago by Nokyu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a tool!, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Typhoon Ching He Huang Stainless Steel 34 cm Meat Cleaver (Kitchen & Home)
An excellent BBQ tool, great for chopping chicken joints etc.
Razor sharp.
Also brilliant for removing Jehovas and Mormons from your front door step.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb. A bargain, 22 April 2014
This has made more difference in the kitchen than almost anything else I've bought. One reviewer said it wasn't sharp. I don't know what went wrong for him or whether he expected to be able to shave with it, but mine was very sharp indeed. Asian blades generally have a 15 degree angle to the edge, unlike American and European blades which are usually set at 20 degrees. Some time ago I bought a three-stone 15 degree sharpening tool as I also use Japanese (Global) knives. After using the cleaver I generally give it a few "maintainence" strokes through the sharpener and it has kept it's edge very well.

Some reviewers have said it is well balanced. I honestly don't know what that means - in what sense does it balance? Never mind; what I can tell you is that is very nicely weighted. Out of curiosity I put it on the scale tonight. It's 464.5 grammes - just a hair over a pound.

The curve of the edge is just right. Especially for fine chopping vegetables, chillies etcetera. And the square end is perfect for pushing things off the chopping board into the pan. (Never with the edge, please)!

The bamboo handle scales are very pleasing to hold, but if you have exceptionally small hands you might find it a bit on the fat side.

My Dad was half-Indian and passed to me his love of Indian and other Asian food so that's what I mostly do. This cleaver is now by far my weapon of choice in the kitchen for almost everything. From chopping a chicken in half down the middle (2 strokes) to chopping vegetables and herbs. Not much cop for peeling spuds though, to be fair!

I have no idea what grade of steel it's made from; I'd guess it's not particularly hard as it is so easy to sharpen after use, but then I do that nearly every time I use it and it takes just a few seconds. It's easy to clean, but I wouldn't put it in the dishwasher as it would probably wreck the handle scales.

I really like this cleaver and I recommend it wholeheartedly if you really like to cook, but don't like spending a lot of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it was the one missing in kitchen, 31 May 2013
It's a biggest cleaver I've ever owned but weigh just about right: not heavy and not too light. With bamboo handle, it looks a quality and despite the size easy in handling. Cuts through bones without any effort and what used to be a struggle before on lambs (leg + shoulder) is now a piece of cake. And no more banging your knuckles on floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic and versatile, 18 July 2014
Like most Englishmen I consider it my civic duty to abscond from an Oriental foodery without paying...consequently I am no stranger to being belaboured around the skull but several gentlemen wielding these bad boys. I can therefore vouch for the sharpness and precision of this product . Even the redoubtable Mrs Ramp agrees that the way it sliced off the top quarter inch of my left ear was a remarkable feat and gives me a certain roguish quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weighty, 15 Jan 2013
Having never owned a cleaver I wasn’t quite sure what to expect and was surprised by the weight. Its really quite heavy, not necessarily a bad thing though I'm just not used to it. Its sharp and slices well, although not put it to the test through bone yet but I’m sure it will be fine and the weight will help there too. The handle is lovely too and not too big. Just need to find somewhere safe to store it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 3 Jan 2013
I bought this as part of a bunch of Christmas gifts for my partner. He loved it!
I have also used it and it makes cooking so much easier when chopping and scooping up stuff into the pan.
Nice rounded blade easy for quick fine dicing and a good strong handle. Looks good, definitely value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The One and only, 23 Oct 2012
Jeremy Tresham (69C CHURCH ROADUnited Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Typhoon Ching He Huang stainless steel cleaver is excellent value for money and is also excellent for cutting meat, vegetables tough meat with fat on it - such as Pork fat/skin. It is also useful for cutting through small and soft bones. A good all round cleaver for the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge Chinese Cleaver Knife, 15 Dec 2013
Huge Chinese cleaver knife,blade size 22cm x 11cm and the handle 12cm which alright and perfect to my hand. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally fantastic cleaver!, 4 Sep 2012
Adam Pearce "Adam" (Aldershot, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I looked at many different cleavers before ordering this one as I wanted something similar to what Gok Wan uses on his show. I am starting to get into Chinese cooking and wanted to get a cleaver that he recommended. The reason I like this one are as follows - it is sharp, it is big, it is heavy and has a bamboo handle (for crushing).

The cleaver is 34cm long and 11cm wide at both longest and widest points. The blade is slightly curved making it easier for chopping and slicing.

I can't recommend this cleaver enough and for the price it is a bargain. To give you an idea, I saw nothing as good as this in the high street and the closest one I saw was another one for sale here on Amazon. On Amazon it is about 16 and in the store it was 110!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014