5.0 out of 5 stars Achieving atonement 140 characters at a time
Published 19 months ago by Robert Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit basic, but good for what it does.
This is a good all-round (though fairly lean) introduction to Twitter, geared somewhat towards business users (though the basic concepts would work well for anybody wishing to promote something). I've read a couple of books of this ilk. I found this to be both the easiest to get into, but also (perhaps inevitably) the least useful.

It gives you the basics of...
Published 12 months ago by ric03

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Achieving atonement 140 characters at a time, 19 Dec 2012
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
More than 100 other reviewers at Amazon US have already covered most of the key points I would have made, had I read and then reviewed Mark W. Schaefer's book sooner than now. That said, I still want to add my voice to other reviewers when suggesting that, for those thinking about signing up or have only begun to do so, The Tao of Twitter is probably the single best source of information, insights, and advice.

Since its founding in 2006, Twitter has achieved and continues to sustain extraordinary growth. It now processes hundreds of millions of tweets each day by its members whose number will soon exceed one billion, if it has not already done so.

Schaefer shares my high regard for Tao Te Ching, a primary source in which Lao Tzu ("Old Master") suggests a "way," "path," "route," "doctrine" or even a combination of values and principles that can help a person achieve atonement. That is, to become "at one" with one's self and with others, of course, but also with creative and spiritual forces that many people believe are divine. Jesus once declared, for example, that he (He) was the way and the light to salvation. Millions of non-Christians and especially believers of Chinese Buddhism and Confucianism also seek atonement, if by a different way following a different light.

I agree with Schaefer that Twitter is an enabler with immense potential power that can be activated in a variety of different domains: spiritual, social, economical, technological, commercial, or some multiple thereof. He wrote this book to help guide and inform those who are committed to leverage Twitter power to facilitate, expedite, and enrich "sharing, connecting, teaching, and entertaining" those with whom they are connected and interactive and do so "in the moment -- from every corner of the world."

The material in this book is eminently practical. However, ultimately, I think its greatest value will be measured not so much in terms of what it helps the reader to do but in terms of how much it prepares the reader to help others achieve the atonement to which I referred earlier.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read for Twitter newbies and those wanting to learn more, 22 Jun 2013
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've dabbled with Twitter but was conscious that I'd never really used it to its full potential so I was intrigued by this book. It contains anecdotes about the power of making connections through Twitter, as well as useful information about both Twitter basics and more advanced features. The author is quite focussed on using Twitter as a business tool, but many of the ideas will work just as easily for making non-business connections as well. The emphasis is very much on the fact that the true power of Twitter is making links between the real people who use it and this is quite an inspiring thought. It was a fairly quick read, but I can see myself returning to some of the precise practical tips in the future.
Definitely recommended even if, like me, you aren't particularly interested in the business potential of Twitter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Confused about Twitter? Read this book, 17 July 2013
The Tao of Twitter shares the author's experience with Twitter, showcasing the business and personal connections that he's made on this social media site. I love that he goes back to his first impressions, and how he gradually began to use the site more and more as he understood how useful it could be.

It's easy to get side tracked on Twitter. People get sucked into the follow-back game, and they get caught up in the idea that they needs thousands of followers in order to be taken seriously. But that's not what it's about.

Social media is all about networking: it's about the people you meet and engage with. It's not about building massive numbers of followers. Mark W. Schaefer makes this very clear through the examples he provides in this book.

This is a great book for anyone who is new to Twitter and who isn't quite sure what it's all about. It's also for people who might have tried the site a few years ago and still think it's all about sharing what you had for breakfast.

It's not. It's about online networking: meeting interesting people, sharing content that you find useful, and helping others out. As Schaefer says, it's all about P2P (person to person) connections.

He talks about authentic helpfulness, and finding your tribe, and how to attract the kind of followers you want to have. I like this book because, while he provides clear steps for beginners to take, he goes beyond the technical steps of getting started and really explains the philosophy behind connecting with people on Twitter. This is something that people keep forgetting to explain about social media: it's about the people you meet, not about the number of followers you have.

Most importantly, he focuses on a "mindset of helpfulness." For business owners using Twitter, this is an ideal place to connect with existing and potential clients so you can help them out. There are so many ways to help in 140 characters or less. Read The Tao of Twitter to learn how.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good character., 16 May 2013
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using Twitter for a good few years now and whilst I've had some fun, I was looking for more meaningful interactions. This book gives some really brilliant examples and ideas of how chance "meetings" (or should that be tweetings?) have led to big and beautiful things.

The book addresses all the questions a new Twit (?) would want to ask, as well as helping existing users to make better use of their accounts. I am already seeing a difference in the way people interact with and follow me, so I can say that these methods are definitely worth a try.

Recommended for anyone wanting to use Twitter as a tool for their business, but also some relevant points for the hobby user.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to understand book on Twitter for business, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Tao of Twitter: Changing Your Life and Business 140 Characters at a Time (Kindle Edition)
As a social media coach I like to read other people's perspectives on the topic. I've read a few that just touch the surface or explain things in "management speak", but Mark manages to give practical advice and explain the benefits in a flowing, simple conversational way.

I will happily recommend The Tao of Twitter to attendees of my workshops and to anyone who says "I don't really get Twitter"

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, practical, common sense, 30 Sep 2013
B. A. Howard "bradbox" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A practical guide to using Twitter. There's not too much of an introduction, the book gets straight down to business of growing followers (several tips) and creating compelling content (tweets).

If you can handle the over-the-top Americanisms bordering on Twitter-made-me-rich-and-famous, etc. (which to be fair, it has done so for the author!), you'll like the book.

It took just over a day to read the book, and then I went back through it with a highlighter. It dawned on me how much of the book was simple tips and common sense. Hence the 5 star review.

Perhaps I'll return to this review when I've reached 1,000 followers (currently just over 400!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Jun 2013
B. Innes "Mtoto" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The is a quick and excellent read. It will really bring you up to speed. For people who know a fair bit a lot of the information maybe a little basic.

Pretty much everything you need to know and all in one place and nicely broken down into chapters.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 27 July 2013
Barto (EU) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Okay, alright - so I haven't yet succeeded as a Twitter user after having read this nice guide to twittering, but I wouldn't blame the book for it, but rather the constant lack of free time I can devote to Twitter. What "The Tao of Twitter" did do for me, though, is convincing me that having a Twitter account actually makes sense AND telling me what I should do to have fun with it and make it work. It all seems perfectly reasonable and the book is written in a very reader-friendly way (yeah, you could actually call it "Twitter for Dummies", so don't worry if you're a total beginner).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Primer, 7 Jun 2012
Mr. Joel Hughes "Joel_Hughes" (Wales (UK)) - See all my reviews
Not only is this a great book which succinctly discusses the mechanics of Twitter but is also addresses the bigger question which many new people have: "why?". It does this via various real world, personal examples which uncover the serendipity which can happen when you authentically engage and genuinely (and selflessly) try to help.

In my business I look to help people & businesses bring their story online; and I always buy this book for them if I think Twitter is a route we should explore.

Recommended. No, essential.