4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly sharp for a kit lens
I tested the lens on my 70d which will show up any questionable optics quite easily with it's 20mp sensor.
Having picked up the 18-135mm STM lens I was quite happy with that, but this lens was quite a lot better than I expected it to be.

The previous "kit lens" was quite decent too, but this is improved in a number of ways over that version.

My...
Published 16 months ago by Mr Baz

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a toy!
This lens iscomplete crap, very very slow AF, useless in low light and very noisy. It just hunts constantly.

The filter attachment also rotates, making it unusable with polarizer or grad filters.

The maximum aperture of f/3.5 at 18mm isn't too bad but as soon as you get past 40mm, it drops down to a nasty f/5.6 rendering this lens pretty much useless...
Published 22 months ago by Layercakes

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly sharp for a kit lens, 6 Mar. 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

My quick fire pros and cons list:

Pros:
+ Improved build over the previous version. Better quality plastics used (feels better put together too) This isn't a classy feeling lens but it doesn't feel as hollow as many 18-55mm's do. Zoom action is smoother too
+ AF is fast and very quiet, new stepper motor is useful for video (you can't hear the AF at all on my 70d)
+ Very sharp, at all focal lenghts and apertures very usable, at the 18mm mark you only need to stop down slightly to tighten up the extreme edges. Very decent at the 55mm mark too
+ Excellent close up ability of 1:2.8 max mag, ok it's not a true macro but that's very good for an 18-55mm and might be enough for semi macro shooters
+ CA is mostly well controlled (better than the older version by far) but I did see more CA at the wider end
+ IS works very well around 3 to 3.5 stops from field use
+ 58mm filter is the normal common size, does not rotate with filters either
+ Full time MF with the new STM motor (unlike the older version)
+ 7 blade aperture ring quite decently smooth out of focus areas, but at 55mm f5.6 this isn't the lens for "bokeh" shots

Cons:
- Still has a plastic mount. Par for the course on 18-55mm lenses, but would be nice to have metal as the build is better v the older version
- Vignetting is present at the wider end from 18mm up to around 30mm worse at the 18mm end wide open. Take it down a stop or so to make it a non issue for most shooting
- STM motor is great for video, but as it's focus by wire (not mechanical focus) you don't get the feedback of a true mechanical manual focus lens. Not a huge deal but worth a mention. I have the same on my 18-135mm STM too
- Some distortion at the wide end fairly notable at the 18mm mark, this again is pretty much common for any of the 18-55mm lenses I've tried, once you move up the focal range it's no issue at all and can be corrected easily

I found the lens to work very well with the 70d I have with quick and quiet/accurate focus using both the viewfinder and the new phase detect AF off the sensor.

I do like the 18-135mm for it's very useful range, but was taken aback a bit just how sharp this lens is. It is a touch bigger than the older 18-55mm it replaces (maybe the new STM motor) but in every other way it's a better lens all around, optically sharper, improved build, though it does cost more than the older kit lens.

Compared to the Tamron 17-50 this lens isn't as well built, but holds up pretty well. I would say the Tamron does seem to have a bit more bite to the images, but it lacks IS...though the constant f2.8 is very useful to have. Personally I would look at this as a really good deal as a kit bundle (well worth getting), do think about your options though the 18-135mm costs more but covers a very nice range (135mm top end v 55mm is a big difference handy for portrait/candid shooting the longer focal length) the Sigma/Tamron offerings are also worth a look.

To date this is the best 18-55mm I've tried (used the Sony, Pentax, Nikon and previous Canon kit lenses), and by some margin too

If you're on a budget and this range covers your needs (ie landscapes/general shooting) really you will be very happy with the lens and you'll get some very sharp images from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just better, 17 July 2013
I have had all three generations of this kit lens. Each generation has got better. The last I.S. one I had started to get a sticky zoom action so I bought the new STM one. The new STM lens is better in every way. Silent focus with full-time manual focus and a proper focusing ring, and also a non-rotating front element which is much better for polariser and graduated N.D filter use. Even the resolution has improved. The last one was very good but this new one is exceptional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF-S - Zoom lens - 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS II - Canon EF, 8 Jun. 2011
D. Foreman - See all my reviews
I bought this item to replace my existing Canon 18-55mm lens for its Image Stability feature. Because I have MS my hand often shakes. Problem solved, perfectly crisp pictures!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entry-level lens, 14 Mar. 2012
This lens is represents good value for money as an entry-level kit zoom lens. It is a cheap way of getting you up and running with a Canon EOS series digital SLR and gives fairly reasonable results.

But if you have used better quality fixed lenses in the past should bear this in mind:

1). There is very noticeable barrel distortion at a focal length of 18mm.
2). There is very noticeable diffraction at F16 and smaller apertures.
3). Chromatic abberation always seems to be present.
4). In summary, after doing a fair few lens tests, I found that the best aperture was F11, other apertures gave a far "softer" focus. I wouldn't say that photos taken with this lens are particularly sharp.

I mainly do outdoor landscape shots where the shortcomings of the lens are apparent if you view your photographs in a large format.

In hindsight I guess I was expecting too much of my lens for the price I paid [which is why I am giving 4 stars rather than anything lower]. I have heard people recommend the 17-55mm USM lens, but that is nearly 6x the price of this lens!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday lens, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens (Camera)
Great all purpose lens for the much maligned EOS- M. Since Canon released a new firmware update addressing the focussing speed the camera focusses much more quickly to a point where speed isn't an issue. The 18-55 lens is a great lens to keep attached for everyday use. It's light, produces sharp pictures, good zoom range, acceptable macro, fast and quiet. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars So silent it's uncanny, 10 May 2014
I can't believe that this lens is so quiet, I shoot a lot of video and have never heard a focussing sound since I got this lens.

I the past I had the old kit 18-55 and I could hear if I focussed on the video.

Very good quality IMHO for the price

5.0 out of 5 stars replacement lens, 15 Nov. 2011
bought this to replace the lens that came as standard with my Canon Eos 450
fab cant fault it just need to learn more about photography...
bought it on the reviews given and glad I did

5.0 out of 5 stars A great lens to reduce image blur, 3 May 2015
George King - See all my reviews
Bought mainly to take hand held photographs in poor light, this lens has exceeded my expectations. Not only does it very greatly improve sharpness by reducing the effects of 'hand shake' but it also snaps into focus more precisely, and more quickly than the 'standard lens ever did on difficult subjects such as flowers in close up in low lighting conditions. This also allows the use of longer exposures for smaller apertures giving greater depth of field. A very worthwhile investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens, 28 Aug. 2013
Bought this lens as a replacement for the Mk 1 version which came with the camera. This one had the Image Stabiliser which I wanted.
Great advantage for me is it's lack of weight. Now carry the camera everywhere.
The photos taken are sharp and I'm really pleased with them.
Haven't as yet found any disadvantages.
I already have a Canon EFS 18-200, which is great if I don't want to swap lenses over and a Canon EF 75-300 111 USM (bought many years ago). which I use regularly
The 18-55 is just lighter and as I do a lot of walking' it's suits that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stabilised Canon 18 - 55mm lens, 5 Mar. 2015
Robert M. Hollinshead (North Kent UK) - See all my reviews
With Stabiliser, no camera shake! Bought as a replacement for damaged similar, supplied with an EOS camera. I am a humble 'snapper' who gets lucky, now and again. It's normally the camera/lens that gets the results, not me. I can, however, 'see' a decent shot. This replacement is miles better than the original. Yes, I do love it.

Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens