5.0 out of 5 stars Superb image quality from a compact camera
Published on 3 July 2013 by Los Angeleno

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Image Quality - Poor Focussing
Based on firmware 1.0.6 and lens firmware 2.0.0

This camera is a bit of a mixed bag. I have owned a number of Canon DSLRs as well as point and shoots and the biggest differences between the two have always been focussing speed and image quality (sure there are plenty of others like changing lenses etc but for the purpose of this review, I'm focussing on these...
Published on 8 Nov. 2012 by Drew

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb image quality from a compact camera, 3 July 2013
So...I'm a keen photographer and have kept an eye on the micro four thirds/mirrorless compact/E.V.I.L. (electronic viewfinder with interchangeable lens) for a long time, waiting for a really good model to come out from a big manufacturer. Sony, Olympus and Pentax brought out some reasonably good models but I kept my wallet in my pocket until the Big Two (Canon, Nikon) released their models.

Canon got out ahead of Nikon with the EOS M, a camera with superb build quality that kicks out great images, but when it was first released (July 2012, I think) it was expensive (£799, comparable with a decent mid-range SLR) and had some problems, notably the notorious autofocus issue, where the camera would "seek" endlessly when trying to focus an image. I waited until Nikon brought theirs out but their model was underwhelming for a variety of reasons. The EOS M didn't sell well, mostly because of the autofocus issue (if you believe the forums) and a couple of months ago (May 2013) Canon dropped the price of the EOS M by half, so you could get the body, 18-55mm kit lens and 90EX speedlite for £399. And they had a £50 cashback offer on at the time. For £349, I was in. I'd heard rumour that Canon were preparing a firmware update that would address the autofocus issue and was prepared to take the risk - £349 for a small, carry-around camera with loads of functionality and all the control I needed.

So...I took delivery of the camera on the Monday, flew out to LA on the Friday, having downloaded the manual to my tablet and frantically learned how to use it during train journeys in the interim. I learned enough to do all I needed to do whilst I was touring the west coast, with a few little learning points along the way.

First of all, the build quality, as mentioned previously, is excellent. I went for the red body; it's distinctive and stylish (IMO), with a lovely lacquered sheen. It feels solid and well built - some people have complained about the grip but I haven't had any problems with it so far. Swapping lenses is a doddle, taking the usual precautions of course, to avoid dust getting into the body. It's no bigger than most point-and-click cameras, though the 18-55mm lens looks a bit out of place stuck on the front (the fast 22mm lens looks much more at home, and is more discreet).

Functionality is terrific - pretty much all the SLR-type features are here. Aperture and shutter priority, Program AE, bracketing (only three frames, unfortunately, but it's better than nothing), bulb exposures, white balance control etc., all are easily accessible. The only downside that springs to mind is the touchscreen, which is fiddly and over-sensitive; the "button" to change program modes is tiny, and despite switching off the touchscreen focus and "tap to take a photo" options in the menu, they keep coming back on when you change into certain auto modes. It's very easy to change all the settings, aperture, focus points, exposure compensation etc. simply by the action of the camera touching your chest when it's on the neck strap, or even just by picking it up. I've learned to work my way around this, but it is a bit of a pain. Other functions more than make up for this, though; there's an excellent HDR mode that takes three photos in rapid succession (at different exposures) then auto-aligns them and blends them to get a terrific, balanced exposure, full of punch. You only really need it when you're photographing high-contrast scenes, but it works extraordinarily well, with no ghosting. Of course you can also use bracketing with a tripod and post-process multiple exposures to make your own HDR images with more control, but the built-in HDR mode in the Canon allows you to take HDR images hand-held. Great! The battery life is not so great - a fully charged battery barely lasts a day (couple of hundred photos), so you will definitely need to take a charger pack and mains adapter if you're out in the field or travelling.

Onto image quality - it's stunning. On a par with a mid-range APS-C SLR with a fairly decent lens, which is perhaps not surprising since the EOS M features...an APS-C sensor (18 megapixels). I always shoot in RAW mode for more control, but even the JPG tests I did produced excellent images: crisp, full of colour and life, with none of the fuzziness associated with compacts. Low light performance is knockout - you can take very good photos indoors under artificial light, handheld (at higher ISOs, naturally). Noise is very manageable and easily removed in Lightroom or whatever you use for your processing. One thing I've noticed is that there is always a little bit of noise in the blue channel when shooting in RAW mode, even at ISO 100, but that's common to pretty much all digital cameras, and again you can knock it out very easily. One thing to mention about the lenses (I have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 22mm f2) is that they are subject to quite heavy vignetting; there are in-camera functions to reduce this but you're better off dealing with it via lens correction plugins in your processing suite.

FINALLY for the main part of this review, Canon have just (as of 27th June 2013) released a firmware update, namely v2.0.2, which addresses the autofocus issue, and BOY does it make a big difference! I installed it yesterday and the autofocus is hugely improved, with none of the contrast point seeking that it used to it. It's as fast as two cats now, and the update has made me very happy with the EOS M overall.

PROS:
Great image quality
Excellent build quality - solid, dependable magnesium alloy body
Loads of functionality for the adventurous photographer
Bargain at £349 with the 18-55mm kit lens and flash unit

CONS:
Touchscreen is fiddly
Vignetting
Limited range of dedicated lenses (though you can use an adaptor and use most regular Canon SLR lenses)
Battery life is not great

Thanks to the price drop and cashback offer (is it still on?) you can grab this superb camera at a very reasonable price, and following the firmware update that addresses the autofocus issue this represents a massive bargain. It's unlikely that you'll be able to get a mirrorless camera of this quality at this price again, as Canon are unlikely to slash the price of any future models by 50% overnight, so I highly recommend grabbing one of these whilst stocks last (they're unlikely to last very long, so don't hang about).

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most reviews indicate, 23 Aug. 2013
Dave (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS M Compact System Camera - Black (18MP, Includes Speedlite 90EX and EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM) 3.0 inch Touchscreen (Electronics)
I shoot professionally with a Canon 1D Mk1V & 5D MkIII but wanted something light that I would never leave at home but would still deliver high quality images. The first thing to remember is that this and all mirrorless cameras are not ideal for action images and if this is what is important to you then buy a DSLR that said you will still be able to capture your son or daughter on sports day and similar activities. With the recent firmware update the camera's autofocus is pretty much on a par with other mirrorless cameras I have tried and I didn't think it was that bad for most applications prior to the firmware update.

The camera is very well built and the image quality with the 18-55mm kit lens is very good even at higher iso. I have also purchased the 11-22mm wide angle zoom and the image quality is very high at all focal lengths although at 11mm there is a little barrel distortion which is easily corrected with very little loss of edge detail.

A great buy at current prices and I'm sure there will be quite a few more lenses to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact system - Replaced G1 X, 11 Sept. 2014
SM Turner (Pembrokeshire) - See all my reviews
I was already an owner of a Canon G1 X Mark I and while it had it's uses as a lightweight alternative to my Canon 5DMKII and selection of lens, I was never totally convinced by the G1 X. The IQ of the G1 X was good but clearly not in the same league as my 5D MKII. Also I never found the G1 X's fixed lens either wide or long enough for me in most situations and more often than not yearned for my 5D MKII.

Roll on nearly 3 years and I spot the EOS M kit for sale at an amazing price. After doing a lot of research and reading about it's biggest bug bear the AF and most people saying with the new firmware upgrade it wasn't actually that bad, I thought at this price it has to be worth a punt. It can't be any worse than my G1 X.

Firstly the AF isn't that bad, certainly no worse than my G1 X was. By comparison, the IQ on the other hand just blows the G1 X out of the water. I expected it to be better, but not as good as it is. It really is amazing. In some situations it's almost as good as my 5D MKII!

So, my G1 X has been sold, plus one of my little used L lens and I have used the cash to invest in some more EF-M lens. An EF-M 22mm f2 STM and EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM plus one EF-S lens, the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II and an aftermarket Meike EF-M to EF or EF-S adaptor. The 22mm and 55-250mm can be picked up for very little money if you look in the right places and both are an absolute bargain. The Meike adaptor is also of good quality and cheap. The 11-22mm however is not quite so cheap, but I was so impressed with the EOS M I had to have it. The lens I use most on my 5DMKII are my 17-40L and 100-400L and 35mm F2. With the lens selection I now have for the EOS M it basically pretty much replicates my Full frame set up but in a much smaller, compact and lightweight package and for a lot less money while not sacrificing that much in IQ.

It will never replace my Full Frame set up for obvious reasons, but as a travel camera it is awesome and will be travelling with me on an upcoming trip to the Middle East.

4.0 out of 5 stars New firmware resolves focus annoyances, EOS-M is now excellent, 28 Jun. 2013
J. Lunt (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
Update after about a month of shooting on the EOS-M with the new firmware (about 1000 images), used as a light walk-around alternative to my 6D setup:

There is no doubt that the images are excellent quality on the EOS-M as you would expect from the sensor heritage. Handling is much improved with the new firmware, focussing snappier and overall it's a far more usable camera than before. However.... however, however there are still major annoyances with it that are unlikely to be resolved until Magic Lantern (the Canon EOS firmware hack) is released for the new EOS-M firmware since I can't see Canon releasing a new firmware update for it now. These annoyances include the following:

- the maddening touch screen that can't be disabled. If you have the camera on a neck strap every over light bump against your body will change 'something'. If you are lucky it'll just change the focus point. If you are unlucky it'll go into something like ISO settings with the first bump and then change them with the second. Sure, I can have the info setting to just show focus point to avoid this, but that's a pain as well. I've taken to turning the whole camera off after every shooting sequence to stop this from happening, and to avoid annoyance further disabled the dust removal part of shutdown and start up since these take a few seconds to execute. Very frustrating.
- the lack of focus peaking or an 'in window' focus magnification is a real pain. Focusing is definitely better, but it is class trailing and not class leading. I'm finding that a lot of photos that should / could be in focus are not when processed in lightroom because the focus area is too large and manual focus is hit & miss.

So, still a neat little camera for Canon users but (other than image quality) not up there with the handling of the Pen range, nor the more expensive Fuji's. If only we could disable the touch screen the use of this camera would be so much easier.

Again, hope this helps. Original review follows:

I've wandered around on a secondary light camera to back up my Canon DSLR FF kit. Over the past couple of years I've had a two PENs, two NEXes and now the EOS-M. As a long time Canon user I would have purchased EOS-M a while ago, but the reported focus issues and high launch price kept me back. Meanwhile, I went through two NEXes (the 5N was returned because the camera kept locking up and the 5R was sold at a large loss due to terrible low light focussing) and ended up with the PEN E-PM2, a nice little camera for sure. What prompted me to finally jump to the EOS-M was a combination of silly low pricing (I paid under £300 for my black body with kit zoom) and the promised firmware update. I used it quite extensively for two weeks prior to June 27th with the old firmware. Impressions were very much like everyone else: lovely images when you manage to get one, great solid body, useful touch screen, terrible autofocus, battery OK, grip too small. Regarding this autofocus, I take quite a lot of low light shots and also need snappy focus for action shots. The EOS-M was pretty terrible at both, but lovely for portrait, landscape and not bad for macro. That was before June 27th.

June 27th, Canon release v2.0.2 of the EOS-M firmware and I ran the simple upgrade process (firmware stored on an SD card, menu selection to upgrade, wait a few minutes). The difference in focus speed for me is massive. I use Flexizone Single and the focus is far faster in normal light and low light. It's not up there with my 6D but it's fine for walking about and grabbing unexpected shots. So, I think previous reviews slamming autofocus need to be treated with caution and people should be looking for reviews based on 2.0.2 firmware or later.

So, dispensing with the history, what are we left with?

+ a small light mirrorless camera system from a major brand
+ a huge sensor delivering incredible quality images
+ lovely build quality - the difference between the EOS-M and some other mirrorless systems is pretty large, but you do pay for this in a bit of extra weight.
+ crazy low pricing - I paid £270 for a used one, but it looks like new
+ snappy autofocus, fast start up with the new firmware

- very limited lens choice - perhaps not a problem for many and not a problem for me with my Canon lenses if I care to buy the adaptor
- some annoyances with the touch screen - it's possible for it to go into settings or even take photos as it bumps around on a neck strap. I'd really like to disable it entirely. Likewise, with FlexiZone Single AF enabled the focus square moves around the screen as you accidentally touch it. That's a little annoying.
- the grip is too small. it's easy for your gripping thumb to accidentally touch the screen, setting off some action or other - more reasons to be able to disable the touch screen.

Overall, the EOS-M is a lovely functional, tough, light camera delivering excellent images (as you'd expect given the heritage of the sensor!). At current prices, even if you buy new, is the camera bargain of the year. My little E-PM2 is now up for sale.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera, 22 Feb. 2014
JRF - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The main point to make about this camera is that is takes beautiful, silky-smooth JPEG images that rival or surpass those from almost any digital camera I have seen (certainly in this price range). And although of excellent build quality, it is also very lightweight compared to most SLRs.

At first, it feels like it should have a viewfinder - however, I quickly got used to using the large, clear LCD. The touchscreen aspect of this is more useful than I had expected, although the nested menus take a bit of getting used to if you are more familiar with wheels and dials, and are slower to access.

The standard 18-55mm lens is of high quality, with a very smooth zoom action that inspires confidence.

Although no flash is fitted, the EOS M is supplied with a small Speedlite that I tend to leave in the bag, preferring to rely on the low-light capabilities of the camera for the kind of photos I use it for. Obviously, your mileage may vary on this.

Overall, this camera is a pleasure to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really impressed - a great little camera., 13 Mar. 2015
This is a truly stunning bit of kit. I've used canon DSLRs for the past 10 years (currently the 60D) and didn't think I'd be able to find a smaller camera which gave me the control, high quality and versatility that I've got used to. I've had this camera for 5 days now, and I haven't touched the DSLR in that time. It's amazingly compact with the 22mm lens, and that's a great lens, I've been very impressed with the results. I've also tried it out with a few of my SLR lenses using the adaptor and have been really pleased and surprised by how well it has done, and how I can use the touch screen to actually make macros easier, for example.

It won't totally replace my DSLR - the autofocus (even with updated firmware downloaded) can be a little slow, and I think I'd be laughed out of a photography job if I turned up with this as the main camera, but I think it'll be used in preference in a lot of situations, and will come along in addition to the DSLR when I'm working, as a 2nd camera 'back'.

I'm chuffed to bits to have got this for a good price, I think it's an absolute bargain for what it is. I'd totally recommend it to canon DSLR users as an addition to your kit, or to anybody with a point and shoot looking for something a bit more serious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good travel camera, 31 Mar. 2014
Self confessed Canon addict since late 80s. The basic camera with 18-55 is great value at £300 - sadly it was nearly £400 last May 2013 when I bought mine - it "knocks the socks" of my G11 compact which cost more (although I would love to have the phot-merge panorama scene mode available). The flash is a toy (I find it pretty useless). Bought as backup for trekking holidays with a 450D as main camera body. Have used this on several travel trips and the portability is so impressive - taken to 5000 metres in South America and skied to 3500 metres in the Alps now - brilliant images - polarising filter useful. As well as the 18-55 bought (later) the rather expensive 11-22 (good lens - but pricey - see separate review) and the obligatory and rather expensive Canon EF-M to EF adaptor. Mainly used the adaptor with 10-22 EF-S, 28-135 EF-S and occasionally 70-200 f4 L IS, and also a 400 f5.6 L with a 2X for "shooting the moon" (literally). The longer lenses work as long as you are happy with the screen view magnifier focus (don't forget your reading glasses for this) and a noticeable focus reject rate - but unless you have a 1D expect that with most affordable lenses with extenders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marmite, 31 July 2013
Having had a DSLR (Canon 5D MKii) for several years, I'm finding that I just don't have the time to go out with my camera with the specific aim to shoot, so the photos I take are in whatever situation I find myself in (family gatherings, etc). but the 5D (plus lens(es)) is way to big and heavy to carry around all the time, "just in case" I get some nice photos. So, I recently sold one of my more expensive lenses and decided to go mirrorless, at the same time coming across Canon's version of a mirrorless camera.

It's called the EOS M, I assume 'M' being for mirrorless but IMHO the 'M' should really stand for marmite because you're either going to really like or really hate this camera. There are some pretty damning reviews of the EOS M but from what I can see, most of them are based on comparing this in some way to a DSLR, which it isn't; the day I unboxed mine, I stumbled across a review which basically said it was 'rubbish'. The main cause for complaint is the initially slow focusing speed which has been massively improved by the v2.0.2 firmware. That said, it still sometimes struggles to focus; trying to focus on clouds seems to be particularly hard for it but like most things, there's ways around its failings.

THE GOOD:
It's very small and very light.

The image quality is excellent.

Very good quality touch screen with useful things like 'touch to focus'.

With an adapter, it can use all existing EF fit lenses...a huge advantage if you're already a Canon owner (and this was my main reason for going with the EOS M over one of the other, arguably better, mirrorless cameras).

It's astounding value for money. You can get this for £350 PLUS a £50 cashback from Canon and for that you get a very decent 18-55 kit lens AND a hotshoe flash (which can be used as a master with another Canon flash...again, a big bonus if you already have a Canon flash unit).

THE BAD:
Still struggles to focus.

There seems to have been next to no thought gone into the body design. It's a simple rectangle with no real ergonomics applied; the simple shape combined with the slippery material the body's made from means it's often quite difficult to hold and even trickier to hold and navigate the awful menu system (which I'm coming to) at the same time. You HAVE to get either a protective case or hand strap for this, otherwise you're going to spend more time worrying about dropping it than you will trying to get good shots.

If you use any Adobe products (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.), you'll need to upgrade to a version which includes ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) v7.2 or above. I have Lightroom v3.6 which means I'll have to upgrade to at least v4 before it will recognise the RAW files produced by the EOS M. This wouldn't have been a deal breaker even if I'd have known this before purchasing the camera, but it's a little irritating, nonetheless.

The battery is decent but don't compare it (or any other aspect of this camera) to your DSLR. It also seems to go from showing half full to almost empty in the space of a few shots; this may be because I've only charged it a couple of times and it needs to be 'conditioned' but I've also read other reviews stating the same thing. SOLUTION: Just buy a spare battery which, let's face it, most of those buying this will plan to do anyway.

The menu system is utterly awful and confusing. I spent about 10 minutes just trying to find how to turn AUTO ISO off. Admittedly, after using it for a week or so, it becomes much easier but it's initially very confusing, especially if you're used to one of Canon's DSLRs.

*****

At the end of the day, this isn't the best camera available...it isn't even the best mirrorless camera available, BUT this makes a lot of sense if you're already a Canon owner and don't want to spend almost £1,000 on something which you may only want as a walkabout/backup body. The Sony NEX-5, NEX-6 and NEX-7 are much better cameras than the EOS M but they're also much more expensive; the NEX-6 is almost double the price of the EOS M and the NEX-7 is close to £900. If you don't compare this to a DSLR, already have Canon lenses, don't want to spend upwards of £500 and can ignore or live with the EOS M's foibles, it's a cracking little camera. You just have to decide whether or not it 'makes sense' for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice camera that produces excellent photos, 2 Dec. 2014
A great little camera. It is outstanding a taking pictures in low light without a flash. It does this thing in really low light where it takes 4 photos (without you knowing) and then puts them together, so you get a much brighter picture. It has produced some great photos. I couldn't see the screen on a bright day but I found I could increase the brightness and now it works well even on sunny days, but not if the sun is actually shining on the screen. Even with the zoom lens, it is quite wide angle, which is great for indoors but I could do with a bit of a longer focus lens for some outdoor shots. The anti-shake works well. I tried it with the EOS lens adapter, which works but there is no anti-shake and so when zooming, it is a bit blurred, so I haven't used the adapter except when testing it. With 19 Mp, the photos are really sharp. It took a while to get used to not having a view finder but I've got used to it now. It is heavy for a small camera. I recommend the leather ever-ready case that can be bought for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this as my second camera, since my ..., 4 Oct. 2014
I bought this as my second camera, since my main camera is Canon 5D MKII. Spent another 89 pounds on ebay, bought the lenses adaptor and 20mm f/2 lenses. Now I have a handy second camera, at the same time, a backup camera which can use all my existing lenses. Ppl were complaining the focusing speed. I thought it is quite ok after the firmware update.