5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !
Published on 20 Oct 2006 by S. Bouchard

3.0 out of 5 stars Average
This wasn't the worst romance I've read but I've certainly read better.

The biggest problem for me was that I found it difficult to find it in me to care much what happened to the two main characters - Hope and Jack. I don't know why, I just didn't get invested in them like you do with the characters in some novels.

It's an interesting twist on the...
Published 20 months ago by misty

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 31 Mar 2013
misty (Guernsey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
This wasn't the worst romance I've read but I've certainly read better.

It's an interesting twist on the usual chic lit romance in that it involves two people who are around the age of 40, divorced and with teenage children.

However, I did get irritated by little things, like the way the word "bought" was used in a couple of places rather than "brought", "than" when it should have been "then", showing someone didn't pay that much attention to detail. There were other grammatical errors along the way too. I also found it rather unrealistic the way the two main characters went out a couple of times, there were a few misunderstandings and miscommunications between them and then all of a sudden by the end of the book they're each feeling like they're in love with the other, when in reality they hardly know each other and haven't really spent much time in each other's company.

As someone else has already commented this did get slow in the middle and the story could have been told in a shorter time. Wouldn't have made it any more interesting though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !, 20 Oct 2006
S. Bouchard (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Paperback)
Although this starts out with the Cinderalla story-line don't be put off by thinking this is just a re-hash of the same old fairy tale. It isn't. This is a lovely,touching and very funny take on what it is like to deal with love, lust and relationships when you have the bruised ego and insecurities, not to mention children of a divorcee. The two main characters, Hope and Jack are both realistic and so are believeable and the way it was written was both funny and yet poignant too.

I loved it and would recommend it thoroughly. If you have never read any of LB-L's books before then this is a good place to start. You won't be disappointed. 'Virtual Strangers' and 'Straight on Till Saturday' are also well worth looking out for too.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Escapism!, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
I totally loved every moment of this book and would highly recommend anything written by Lynne Barrett-Lee. She removes you from the day to day treadmill and transports you into the lives of her characters. A book that you don't wan to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
Good read would recommend it to everyone.It also has a good story line I really enjoyed it.Its the type of story you could read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underpriced, 3 Feb 2014
J. Casson (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
This book is totally underpriced. It is a beautiful, bittersweet story. Very well written, fabulous characters and full of hope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
Wasn't sure reading the first few pages but it ended up being a great read. I laughed and cried through it. Well worth downloading.

5.0 out of 5 stars I also agree with the person who said this would make a great film. My only gripe is that there were ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
Just for once this wasn't about bright, young things romping throughout life without a care in the world. Jack and Hope are middle-aged, divorced, battling with baggage, childcare, elderly parents, and insecurities about themselves and their futures. Whilst other reviewers have complained this story was too slow, I actually felt it needed to be and the ending was certainly worth the wait. A very satisfying and emotional read. I also agree with the person who said this would make a great film. My only gripe is that there were a number of editing errors, for which I usually knock off a star, but it was too good a read to be mean and petty over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Feb 2007
E. Blackham "LilE" (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Paperback)
I just finished reading this book, and i want to sing its praise. I loved it its a compelling read. Im a university student and even though the characters were not in my age gap it didn't matter. I read it straight for a weekend and couldn't put it down! I plan to read more of Lynne Barret-Lee books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
Such a sweet story! Lovely idea linking to the tradition fairy tale! Very relatable characters! I rated it four out of five! would recommend!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Giving Love a Second Chance, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Barefoot in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
A story of an instant spark between two people, who happen to be divorced.
Two people trying to get to grips with love, second time around. How life, families and other people are all involved.

I would have given this book a higher rating, but the punctuation in it is appalling ! On every page there are errors, these errors distracted me from the storyline

Barefoot in the Dark