5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung CLP 415NW
Published 21 months ago by markisgr8

1.0 out of 5 stars Good on paper? Only if it printed
I was confident that a Samsung colour laser printer would compliment my mono laser one that I've had forever and the reviews, although limited, were on the whole, positive.

Unfortunately the first machine seemed to print the magenta toner off by 0.5cm all the way down the prints and ringing Samsung, they suggested to send it straight back. Actually, they...
Published 17 months ago by EazyDude

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung CLP 415NW, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Samsung CLP-415NW Wireless Colour Laser Printer (Office Product)
I was reluctant to purchase this printer because there were no reviews about it and I compared it to a lesser model and higher model and thought the reviews weren't great. I seek to highlight the relevant points. I've only had the printer for a short while and I have to say I am impressed. It was very easy to install following the instructions; Initially I connected it to my computer via USB and from there it configured the device to print wirelessly and I don't need an ethernet cable. You can immediately see the quality of the print dpi, it's bright, clear and sharp. There is an initial noise upon starting to print and I don't have to wait too long; once I have printed, it maintains a near silent operation. Beautiful. What more can I say? It works. I switched it off and had no problem restarting and it didn't lose it's configuration which was a big issue with my last computer. Yes I would highly recommend it. I've not had it long enough to give a comprehensive report but I'm happy so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb print quality and useability, 1 Jan 2013
Bob K "Bob" (Europe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Like others, I do not need colour that often and became totally disillusioned and fed up with having to replace dried up with a new ink-jet cartridge every time, just for a few pages! I use a retail outlet for photo's which are far better than ink-jet.
Even if I were to bin this when the supplied toner cartridges are empty it will be cheaper for my usage.

Print quality is excellent in both black & white and colour. Colour printing with the high resolution using glossy 210gm laser paper is good photographic, the main difference being the satin rather full glossy finish. At least as good as that in expensive glossy magazines. You _must_ however use specific laser suitable glossy or risk damage to the fuser roller, (I used APLI 11833 which is reasonably priced). It will also handle ordinary card stock. You have a choice of several types and thickness's of paper, Glossy and normal, card and envelopes in the print set-up.

It has an ECO mode which saves on toner and is almost indistinguishable from normal. I leave it set in ECO as default (greyscale) as it saves on colour page count and only override for finished documents. Plus there is a best quality setting when you need it. Plus you get a speed of 18ppm for repetitive documents.

The printer was easy to set up via USB. But I set it first as a static device with an IP address well above any that may be set by the DHCP protocol of my router. (There is an .exe file on the supplied driver disc to easily do this). This avoids the router DHCP giving it a revised IP address each day which may prevent some PC's finding it tomorrow. Each of my assorted LAN PC's - Win7, XP and Ubuntu then correctly recognised it. You will need to download the Ubuntu (Linux) driver from Samsung's website. Which after an initial hiccup on my part installed correctly.
I have no experience of using it with Apple devices as I don't have any.

WiFi direct printing from android portable devices is a dream with the Samsung app. Plus as a WiFi network device the printer can go anywhere the Wifi reaches, saving valuable space. (It is a bit bigger than the average B&W laser). It has a very low power consumption in standby so there is no need to keep turning it off.
To my nephew's dismay though, whilst his PS3 recognises it as a network printer it will not talk to it. It seems this is a known problem with the PS3.

Pro's
Print quality
Value for money
Ease of use
versatility of print stock
Speed

Con's
None so far.

Full marks to Amazon for the very helpful way they supplied this, intercepting and restocking another printer I had already ordered.

I've not been using it long, (a month or so but a lot of use in that time), but think overall it is very good value for money, providing excellent usability and quality. And well worth the 5 stars from me.

************* Update Dec/13 ****************

After a year of use all my comments still apply, still no con's which is good. Still a definite 5+ stars
Photo quality and versatility is excellent.
The biggest plus for me is the space saving WiFi printing. I have it well out of the way from my workstation with no cables, a must for a SOHO set up, you can print to it from anywhere in the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant so far, 26 Nov 2012
Like most others (I expect) I don't really do THAT much printing at home and so I thought I could get by with an inkjet printer - however, it finally dawned on me that inkjet cartridges seem to dry up fairly quickly, so unless you do a lot of printing, it's just money down the drain. So after looking around for a good colour laser printer that also can be wireless, I finally decided to get this one, and so far I've been impressed with it. Setting it up couldn't have been easier on windows 7 - with a direct cable connection I didn't even need the installation CD - it just downloaded the drivers automatically and that was that. Setting it up for wireless was a bit more fiddly and I needed to have it temporarily connected by USB and I also needed to use the installation CD - but the setup guide was pretty straightforward and it seemed to work first time. I've been a fan of Amazon for a while and their service continues to impress me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value, 21 July 2013
It was delivered shortly after I pressed "Enter" - couldn't believe it! Well done Amazon and Printerland.
I took it out of the box - followed the instant install instructions and it was printing from my iPhone and PC and other airprint Apples on the network. The colour quality is excellent, but you should use the eco mode for draft docs to save the high-tech polymer toner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung CLP-415NW Wireless Colour Laser Printer, 14 May 2014
I bought this replace an existing Samsung laser printer as I was happy with the brand. It's quite a big printer but being wireless I can put it anywhere I have space.
My previous printer was connected via USB to my NAS and I we could not print from Windows 8 so I was delighted to find that everyone can print easily to this printer (even from a smartphone) Since buying it I have switched to Linux and it works fine after downloading the required drivers.
The print quality is very good and the power saving mode is reassuring to have as I quite frequently forget to switch it off.
The only thing that may be a problem to other users (it isn't for me) is that on first startup (not coming out of sleep mode) it makes a horrendous grinding and clunking noise which could be off-putting to some people, I have read reviews where other people find such noises unacceptable and return products thinking they are faulty. I just checked that everything was inserted correctly and ignore it, if you leave it switched on and let it go to sleep, this doesn't happen when it wakes up, I guess it's just the toner being initialised.
Another reason for buying this particular model was that I checked on a toner suppliers website and apparently it is possible to refill the toner cartridges easily (and cheaply) rather than buy new ones.
I recommend this printer for home or small office use. If anyone has a question, just ask.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 1 Aug 2013
Amazing quality prints from full colour photos and other documents .found air print instructions very confusing and no where near comprehensive enough as was connecting to an ageing router, once sorted out works well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, 31 July 2013
The only thing was not happy about is paper jam two days after receiving machine and no manual,
as on machine. Very difficult to get in touch with Samsung but they were brilliant once did get in touch
with them and they repaired machine, which is under warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 July 2013
It gives a good print out and is easy to install. I am very pleased with it. It will also use recycled paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for a costly inkjet, 14 Jun 2013
Bit big, but does the job well. I bought it replace a cheap well known inkjet that was using ink as if it was going out of fashion.

I could have bought a more economic one, the replacement toners are not the cheapest but they will still cost in under the inkjet I was using over time, but as I am running an old Apple, this had the software to use OSX 10.4. OK, I should upgrade but it still works.

Wifi has hooked up with no problems. Three computers, one Apple and two Windows, through the main broadband hub are working flawlessly to it.

It prints quickly, prints well. Documents are very crisp and clear and the colours as I would expect. I have not tried any photo's yet but I use on line suppliers for that.

User software allows you quite a degree of customisation and the sleep mode can be set to suit. The only draw back is when it is powered off on the top panel and I turn that supply off at night, on turning the power supply on in the morning the printer starts up without using the top panel, maybe there is a setting I have not found yet. If you do not need it then use the mains switch at the rear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, cheap to run, 27 July 2014
This is the best printer i have bought for business use by a long shot,it has now printed over 10.000 prints and is still going strong.
A word from the wise though ignore/override the changing of cartriges when it prompts that they are getting low as you can get literally 100s of extra sheets(black white text) out of it before the printing goes pale and actually needs changing.
And also use a decent ish quality of paper as the low gsm thin stuff can get jammed in the machine(nightmare to get out!!), as it does get quite warm on printing which wrinkles the paper up.(i use gsm 70 as a bare minimum now)
Bottom line, Super printer would recommend to anyone.saved me lots of money compared to my old model.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›