5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Silent PC case
I bought this Fractal case for a new PC build to sit behind my TV in the living room, my main goal was to replace my existing rig with a near silent machine because although my last one looked great, it was extremely noisy and the sound whilst watching films was rather distracting.

Build quality is very high, there's plenty of room inside to make installing new...
Published 18 months ago by A. Burton

2.0 out of 5 stars Good case but with a major flaw
When I first unpacked this case and built my new system with it, I was very impressed. The case is good looking (despite having a plastic exterior and front) and is very easy to work with.

Published 7 months ago by Lee

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
First of all, to those previous reviewers who said that it was so quiet they had to check the power on light to make sure it was switched on - get your hearing tested, you can hear it. The noise leaks from the unavoidable gaps on the rear panel and to a lesser extent through the front door. Nevertheless, this is the quietest case I've ever used, by an order of magnitude. The engineering is superb, from the millimetre-perfect aperture for the I/O shield through the enamelled expansion slot blanks to the Rolls Royce standard of side panel fitment. Everything you need is there and it all works - seamlessly. The manual is a bit vague on cabling but a quick Google to other owners cleared confusion over the fan power connection (motherboard connectors not used at all). The accessory box contained more than enough screws/spacers etc, even the M/B standoffs were beautifully manufactured. The standard is maintained in the HDD cages, SSD and HDD's installed and retained easily with the supplied anti-vibration screws. There's ample space behind the cages and motherboard to hide cable excesses, my internals have never looked so tidy! On the subject of space, whatever components you can think of, they'll fit into this case; even the mega graphics cards will fit with ease after the removal of an HDD cage. Quite simply this is the best, it has no competition. It's a trifle more expensive than others but worth every penny ....... and some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
Great product, great price. Product really is as good as all the technical reviews make out - & very quiet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
It is very good quality case, very quiet, and it is easy manage with all connections inside.
Spining HD is mounted on the rubber gaskets and doesn't transfer vibrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Piece of kit!, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
I love this case! It's even better than I had hoped it would be from the description. The design is excellent, everything seems to have been well thought out. There's plenty of room inside for all the components with excellent air flow, even with an NVidia GTX 670 and multiple hard drives; the removable/adjustable hard drive bays are great. Fitting fans was a relatively straightforward matter although I was unable to fit one in the base as my PSU is a non-standard size, but it means there's mesh covered venting beneath it to keep it cool. The connectors for the case switches and fans were the easiest to fit I've used. Overall, it's just brilliant! It's sitting there keeping my overpowered system nice and cool and I can barely hear a thing despite having 5 fans running at max speed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
Honestly can't go wrong with this case. Big enough for a full ATX, plenty of room for extended PSUs and long GPUs. The fan control cable fell out during delivery, left me stunted for half an hour before I figured it out! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and sexy case!, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
Love this case. I got one for my new rig and it made everything so easy. It looks great! I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
I don't have much experience with cases but compared to my old dell computer this thing is so quiet. Installing components and cable management was great

2.0 out of 5 stars Good case but with a major flaw, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)

It comes with an inbuilt fan controller linked to a button on the front to allow you to select from one of three settings for fan speed. However the fans themselves are not PWM, so should you want to have them controlled by your motherboard in that way you are out of luck. The supplied fans themselves are inaudible at the 3v & 5v settings, but fairly noisy at the 7v max setting, which is to be expected I guess.

I fitted a swiftech h220 into the top of this case, along with a gigabyte z87x-ud3h motherboard. I should warn anyone else considering this combination that the 8 pin power socket is right at the top left of the mobo meaning you almost cannot fit the h220. I did manage to fit it, by squashing the cable connection pretty tightly - which is not ideal and probably not great for longevity!

Having had the case for a few weeks now with my system built inside it, I've noticed a pretty major flaw of this "silent" case. The hdd mounts (despite having rubber mounts and anti-vibration screws) cause large amounts of noisy vibration to be passed from the hdds to the case.

Initially I thought that perhaps my hdds were just vibrating because they were old, as they did vibrate a bit in my old case. So I invested in a brand new hdd and guess what? The new hdd is noisy too! Every time it is accessed, the vibrations are passed to the case and you can hear them pretty loudly outside.

I searched the internet for this issue and it seems other people have also reported this issue. I wish I'd seen that before buying!

So if you are looking to put a number of normal spinning hdds in this case, I would look elsewhere. That is pretty annoying considering the 8 mounting bays for hdd's...

So given this is sold as a quiet case, I can only give it 2 stars as it will only be quiet if you use ssd's.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Awesome, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
This case should be great! It has 8 drive bays, 2 DVD slots, USB 3.0, good cable management, and I want to really like it.

What ruins the experience is:

1) Power LED does not work so you can't tell if your PC is on or not. (This isn't just a polarity issue).
2) There is no cable for HDD light and some cryptic words in the documentation.
3) Documentation is poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars First build case, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
This case was used in my first ever build, so my review may be a bit limited for some people.
But for what i needed this case was perfect. Lots of handy extras come with the case, you wont need any extra screws etc.
Very well packaged, although be warned, the box it comes in is huge! especially if you add on the usual oversize amazon box too!
For some this case might look a bit boring, but i wanted the subtle look. Its a very versatile case and i can't sing its praises enough.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›