on 6 May 2012
We bought this to try and make savings on gas and water (dont you just hate water meters!) but little did we know just how effective it is. After we realised that our three children were using between 150L and 200L of water each shower with one culprit regularly in the shower for 20 minutes, we used the volume alarm and set it for 50L and set up a competition to see who could use the least water on average, now they are in the shower for about 2 minutes and use around 25L of water.
The unit itself is pretty robust but I do agree with the other reviews here that the suction cup is prone to falling off unless you have a really good seal (or use a blob of clear silicon to stick the suction cup on). Set up is pretty easy to do even with the measuring bag to establish the flow rate of your shower. I would whole heartedly recommend one of these to anyone who wants to save money and if you have children (and especially teenagers) it is a no brainer. Buy one today!!
on 3 May 2012
We've been through two of these now; the supplier kindly replaced the first one when it stopped working after a month or so. The second one lasted about the same amount of time. The problem was that the suction cup didn't hold it on the wall properly so it fell on the shower floor, and while it can cope with being splashed in the shower, it can't cope with being immersed in water. Bit of a problem for something which lives in a shower cubicle and falls on the floor easily. If I were to buy another one, I'd use the supplied cord to hang it up as well as the suction cup.

Apart from that, I like the fact that once you program in a time, it stays at that time so you just hit the 'start' button at the start of every shower. The display helps to cue you in to timing your shower. If you want to program it the suggested way, ie by volume of water used, then it's a nuisance to set up - you have to fill a bag (supplied) with water and time it, to calibrate the timer against your shower. It's not always obvious what to do next and we ended up having to repeat this several times. Once set up, though, it was great... until it fell on the floor and stopped working.
on 24 August 2010
I wanted to try and be more concious about the amount of water being used since becoming a foster carer and after doing some research, I found this nifty gadget. It's easy to set up and is great at making you think about how much time you actually waste in the shower daydreaming etc (or maybe that's me!). I like the fact it becomes a challenge to make the target each day.

Easy to use and as it's complete with a display showing water usage and the time, I'm never too long in the shower. Would recommend to anyone.
on 14 April 2010
We have just had a water meter installed courtesy of the water board and so I thought it was about time we made an effort to reduce our water usage on the shower front! I wanted more than just a very basic timer, which is why I went for this one.

I like the fact that you see the "tank" on the left fill up as the time progresses, as well as the litres count up. We haven't increased the litres, my husband made it within the 4mins/35 litres on the first go. The rest of us are doing better. The loud beep when you have run out of mind (which everyone passing the bathroom can here as evidence of you lack of success!) really concentrates you mind!

If I had any criticism, it would be nice for each person to be able to save your own usage so you could see it improving rather than rely on a memory. Also, there is no allowance in this whole effort for those of us with long hair (which obviously will take longer to deal with) as opposed to those who are losing their hair

It's a little fiddly to set up, although to be honest the default setting was about right anyway! Overall we are very pleased.
on 24 August 2010

on 21 April 2013
Works well as long as people remember to use it. However, as others have said, the suction cup is useless. I have mounted mine with four little pads of Blu-tak onto the bathroom tiles and it's "solid as a rock." Tip: Don't bother trying calibrate your shower's water usage by trying to fill the supplied plastic bag with water at the same time as trying to fiddle with the unit's buttons. I tried this and ended up getting soaked, so here's an easier way. Given that the bag up to the fill line holds 1.5 pints of water: 1) Fill a bucket with 15 pints of water, 2) Mark a line on the inside of the bucket where the water comes up to, 3) Empty the bucket, 4) Refill the bucket from the shower while timing it with a stopwatch, 5) Divide the time taken by 10 and 6) Use this time to calibrate the instrument.
on 15 December 2012
My wife asked for something that would stop her daydreaming in the shower, which made her late for work. Well, this doesn't stop the daydreaming, but does help remind you how long you've been in the shower. Easy to use and set up, this does the job, with a countdown timer and loud alarm when you've reached your requested time. No need to set the timer each time, just set it up once and push one button to start it.
Loses a star since, as noted by previous reviewers, the suction cup is useless. Use the lanyard to hang off your shower rail or similar and it's fine, but don't rely on the suction cup keeping it from falling down!
Has coped with the damp atmosphere with no problems so far, though we don't hang it right under the shower, so it doesn't get directly wet.
on 26 February 2013
I have a bad habit of spending too long in the shower. This thing sorted out that problem.

Simple and easy to use/ set up. One person moaned about having to clibrate using the plastic bag - I dont get what the issue was. i set it up on my own within minutes.

Not had any problems with the sucker, as other people have complained about, its been on the wall a month and not budged. I also have it tied to the shower incase it ever fails.

A wee bonus is that it tells me the time when i get in and out of the shower, so I can tell how ahead or behind schedule I am.

A great wee thing & would be amazing if you had kids. I can imagine the competitions to see who could have the fastest shower!!
on 18 November 2014
NOTE: FIRST ONE SENT BACK BECAUSE IT DIDNT WORK, WAS GOING TO SEND BACK BUT SELLER SENT ME AN EMAIL INFORMING THE BATTERY NEEDED TO BE CHANGE. SELLER WAS PROMPT IN RESPONSE AND A SPARE BATTERY HAD ALREADY BEEN PROVIDED BY THEM IN THE PACK.

Product:
Works well and is clear on the display.

In order to calibrate dont bother with the bag,its way to much of a faff on and basically it just measures a litre, just measure a litre of water in a measuring jug.

Down side is you can't stop and reset the timer once started. It has a clock but not a stop watch so if you want to know how long you've been in the shower you have to work it out.

Overall though its pretty good
on 6 July 2013
Monitor lasted approx. 5 months - wrote to supplier - replied with advise but I explained the item had let in water and was beyond repair
It had been sited out of the direct flow of the shower but had clearly not been fit for purpose
The supplier was not interested in offering either a replacement or refund
Not very impressed with the product or supplier