4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good business tips and a breezy read
This is the fourth book by Richard Branson that I have read. It is a worthy read and is filled with tips on how to run a better business.

Published on 26 Jun 2012 by capamazon

2.0 out of 5 stars Virgin, Virgin, Virgin!
Sir Richard Branson, like a virgin but he's been touched more than a few times.

Published on 9 Oct 2012 by David 75

2.0 out of 5 stars Virgin, Virgin, Virgin!, 9 Oct 2012
Sir Richard Branson, like a virgin but he's been touched more than a few times.

This book reads like one big add for the Virgin empire. If like me you have already picked up a copy of Branson's autobiography then you will find nothing new at all in his latest outing in the literary world. If this is the first time you are thinking of purchasing a Branson book then I would buy the man's biography instead ( all of the snippets in secrets are more or less taken from the bio). I can't really be positive about this one...........There's just nothing new?

Not the best business guide on the market.

Kind Regards

D.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good business tips and a breezy read, 26 Jun 2012

Tips in this book include: Be innovative to differentiate yourself in the market; Offer superior customer service to stand out; Do not openly criticize others; Large corporations move slowly -- be nimble!; Perform stunts to gain free publicity instead of paying for ads; When placing ads, play off current events; By "shaking up" an industry your business can be successful; Look for gaps in the market; Watch for poorly-run businesses -- they are primed for replacement -- with your business!; Branson's driving force: Helping people have a good time; Second impressions are important; Numerous tips for managing, motivating and empowering employees; Be the disruptor, not the disrupted.

Some tips such as "be innovative" may seem obvious. But when I read Branson's stories and thought about what he wrote I gained insight on how the advice could be applied to my own business plans.

The writing style is informal, breezy and fairly easy to digest.

"Like A Virgin" has larger type and greater spacing between lines than my printed copies of "Screw It, Let's Do It" and "Losing My Virginity." Thus, the book can be read in less time than you would typically expect of a book as thick as "Like A Virgin" is.

There seems to be some British slang or phraseology in the book that struck this Yank as slightly confusing. I wonder if the U.S. version would be more Americanized? This is only a minor quibble.

Kerning on the chapter headings is uneven and appears to have been merely applied automatically. Manually kerning would look better here.

The quality of the paper is excellent. The binding is solid.

I recommend "Like a Virgin."

Here's how I would summarize the Branson books I've read:

* Losing My Virginity: This is the first book I read. It's business-focused and heavily autobiographical.

* Screw It, Let's Do It: This book is similar to "Losing My Virginity" and covers much of the same ground. The difference is that "Screw It" contains the business stories and tips found in "Losing My Virginity" but less autobiographical material. This book is my favorite. If you are reading Branson's books because you're looking for business advice, and you only want to read one of his books, "Screw It" is the book to read.

* Screw Business As Usual: This is Branson's "green" book. He focuses on making the world a better place, reducing carbon in the atmosphere and other worthy, important endeavors. There's also a strong business theme. Branson believes there is money to be made in green technology and I agree.

* Like a Virgin: Sort of a "Screw It, Let's Do It Part Two."

I'd rank his books from most useful to least useful (from a purely business perspective) as: 1) Screw It, Let's Do It. 2) Like a Virgin 3) Screw Business as Usual 4) Losing My Virginity.

(I rank "Screw Business as Usual" higher than "Losing My Virginity" because "Screw Business as Usual" is more unique -- that is, "Losing My Virginity" is too similar to "Screw It, Let's Do It" and "Screw It" is more concise than "Losing My Virginity.")

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as insightful or news-worthy as I expected from Branson, 15 Nov 2012
If you've been stuck in the dark ages or are the sort who thinks that customers are a pain in the backside and get in the way of your tea break, then read and learn! Government departments, transport unions, perhaps...?

If you've worked in a business that knows what customer service is, then most of what Branson has to say is not terribly enlightening and moderately self-aggrandising. I'll let him have the latter, as he is a brilliantly successful bloke, but I expected a bit more news and insight.

2.0 out of 5 stars To sum up the 'secrets they won't teach you at ..., 6 July 2014
To sum up the 'secrets they won't teach you at business school':
- Listen to your customers
- Be innovative and differentiate yourself
- Have a strong team
- Be confident
- Do anything to market your business (like writing a book that advertises your businesses on every single page coupled with very simple language).
Nothing insightful

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 3 July 2012
Very easy to read short articles, mostly dealing with starting or running a business. I find them useful not only for entrepreneurs but also anyone in any kind of business, especially managers of all levels. Also quite a few articles on the adventurous side of Virgin and R.Branson. Very inspiring.
Overall, great read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Richard Branson’s Like A Virgin Is Not Just For Entrepreneurs, 15 Aug 2014
Give Me The Basics – Not Just For Entrepreneurs
Sir Richard Branson the founder and the face of Virgin Group in his book Like a Virgin: Secrets They Won’t Teach You at Business School discusses his views on business, being an entrepreneur and how they can help you succeed. No matter if you are entrepreneur or work for established business. Each chapter provides a detailed essay focusing on a single business view or strategy.

What Do You Like – One Eye On The Front line ?
If you know anything about Sir Branson some of the content will not surprise you. One element that I really like is the reminder that the front line staff in any business are ones that help you offer a genuine great customer experience and that they need the support of the entire organisation behind them.

Give Me The Low-down On One Concept From The Book – Its Fun, Fun and More Fun.
One concept that is a core throughout the book is whatever you do make sure you have fun. The Virgin Group have built that element into their brand: “Our culture arose from our constant engagement with our customers and each other. This led us to build a company devoted to customer service and staff engagement; to providing great value and maintaining a sense of fun in everything we do.”

Give Me One Quote From The Book – The Royal We.
“If employees aren’t associating themselves with their company by using ‘we’, it is a sign that people up and down the chain of command aren’t communicating.”

The good thing about this book is no matter if you are an aspiring entrepreneur or not it provides some useful reminders on core values such as customer service and “Be the disruptor, not the disrupted”. You will not be a surprised by some of the content but what the book does well is condense the key points into an easy to read book.

Originally Posted At http://www.russelldyas.com/2014/08/15/not-just-for-entrepreneurs/

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but somewhat repetitive, 8 Nov 2012
A. Weir (Taipei, Taiwan) - See all my reviews
This book could really have been boiled down to half-a-dozen pages; Mr Branson rambles on about much the same things in various different essays. The take-home message is 'look after your customers and do something a little bit different, and you'll make money'. The writing is also slightly irritating due to Branson's attachment to the David Brent school of humour. Still worth reading, but probably not worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars True advise you won't get anywhere, 12 Oct 2012
Reading this book has really broaden my horizon on business, customer service and how to challenge the status quo. Great book by a great entrepreneur. Worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars They should teach this at schools!, 14 Nov 2014
This book was recommended to me by a friend and it was a great recommendation. Written in such an easy-read style and give to get through, don't feel like putting the book down, it's as if you can hear the man himself speaking to you. The principles in his book are principles I have always believed in yet have hardly seen in much of the corporate world unfortunately so if Sir Richard Branson does practice what he preaches then I have even more respect for him than I already have. Great read and great principles, if only more CEOs and Directors were simply down-to-earth humane human beings then they would be inspirational leaders rather than management who are out of touch with their employees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, 26 Sep 2014
I am very much enjoying this, I have nearly finished it. I worked in an office for 19yrs and I always thought that the way that the owner treated his staff and clients was awful. I was always thinking, I wouldn't have spoke to the staff like that, I wouldn't have treated the client like that! Now, I work for myself and I can run the business and treat the clients how I like, and it is a pleasure to read a book in which I (pretty much) agree with everything it says.