4.0 out of 5 stars Stop the Clock to read this!
Published 23 months ago by Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe"

1.0 out of 5 stars Really!
I bought this book after reading through the reviews on this site. Seemed a good idea at the time. Lots of good ratings, lots of lovely comments on how 'unput downable' it was. Unfortunately, I found this book boring.
Didn't feel anything for the characters, found the story dull and only read to the end because I bought it and you never know, it could have got...
Published 17 months ago by Kickingback

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Stop the Clock to read this!, 22 Sep 2012
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
Three friends, Lucy, Tina and Natalie have been close for years, and one New Years Eve share their life plans with each other - their hopes, dreams and ambitions for the future, and hope that they will all get exactly what they want and need. Fast forward ten years, and things are very different from how they were a decade ago, but have each of the women got what they crave? Lucy craves stability and a happy home and family life, Tina wants success in her career and to be an independent woman and Natalie just wants to meet Mr Right and settle down and live a happy life with the one she loves. Will any of the women have got their happy ever after ending?

I really liked the way this book was written. Mercer makes sure to divide the story equally between the three women, and weaves them together in such a way that they stand alone as their own stories, but at the same time relies on the friendship of the women to bring it all back together again and be a cohesive story. We meet the women when they are in their twenties, and all hopeful for what life has ahead of them. When we meet them later, things have greatly changed in different ways, and so has the women's friendship too, a fact which felt realistic as of course no matter how close we are at one point in our lives, things change as we all move in our lives in different directions, and this part of the book felt extremely well put together.

I liked each of the characters for different reasons, and the strength each of them found to overcome the various obstacles within their stories - I'm not going to reveal a lot about what happens to them because I think it's more fun to read about the things happening as you go through the book. My favourite character was Tina which surprised me as I didn't really like her at first at all, yet Mercer really turns her around and made me sympathetic towards her a lot more, she was a very believable characters also, in her feelings and her behaviours. I struggled to warm most to Natalie, as I felt I couldn't get that into her story - she felt like she got the least "air-time" in the book for some reason. Lucy was almost the one who held it all together for me, and it was nice to see how their friendship remained important to them, and they valued it in different ways as their lives took different directions.

I think a lot of women will be able to relate to this book in different - it's a book that can appeal to a wide range of readers, and is a very successful novel. I think it's a strong debut with a great narrative, and a storyline (or three!) that draws you in and doesn't throw you back out again until you've turned the last page. It isn't a book with an obvious happy ending in lots of ways, and I enjoyed trying to work out what the three women were going to do next, and how their decisions would impact on those around them too. It's a great novel, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading Mercer's future novels, of which I hope there will be more soon! A great novel, and a must-read.

4.0 out of 5 stars good chic novel, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Kindle Edition)
love this book. was a lovely story that kept me gripped throughout. i found the 3 different women strory line really intresting

4.0 out of 5 stars Will pull you in and involve you in all three girls lives, 13 Jan 2013
Shazjera (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
Stop the Clock begins with a prologue. It's New Year's Eve 1999 and we find out about Lucy, Tina and Natalie's dreams/ambitions.

Ten years later it's Spring 2009. We begin with Lucy, who is meeting Tina and Natalie and feeling faded and worried that she's not as glamorous as her two friends. It is Tina's column on The Post that causes friction and Lucy returns home sooner than planned. At home she finds something that turns her world upside down.

Next we spend time with Natalie. She's off to antenatal class to meet Richard (the boyfriend in the blurb who is now her husband). Later on in the story, it is someone at these classes whose actions cause a life changing evaluation to be made.

Finally we spend time with Tina. We learn about her career, her colleagues and her love life.

In alternating chapters we spend time with each character as they confront hidden fears and live their lives. It's not until our characters are together at New Year's Eve ten years later that they finally confide in each other and share what's really happening to them.

The characters are stereotypical and the narration of third person enables the reader to identify with each character when they are apart and when they are together. My favourite has to be Tina. Although Lucy and Natalie have their own demons to confront and each grow and learn to live in the world as who they are, Tina is the one who I felt was the most honest with herself.

We witness some traumatic scenes as we journey through their lives. Natalie's birth experience and Tina's immediate decision and change of mind spring to mind. Their own parents play a part too not only in the time of their lives now but also the role models they were in childhood.

I loved the way the author has the characters examining their emotions. True to life, it's unusual for us to feel an isolated emotion as it's usually a confusion of tangled emotions. This is acknowledged by our characters.

Another thing I liked ... the nuggets of wisdom hidden within the pages. For example on page 364 when Tina is waiting to go in to be interviewed by HR and her editor at The Post:

"You couldn't let the inevitability of last spoil the sweetness of first, or put you off, or deter you."

Love it!

With life changing events confronted including relationship breakdowns; betrayals; close family illnesses; birth/fertility; sexual gender preference and addictions, Stop the Clock will pull you in and involve you wholeheartedly in Lucy, Natalie and Tina's lives.

I have no hesitation in recommending you add Stop the Clock to the reading pile.

I would like to thank Alison Barrow at Transworld for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stop the clock, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
At first I thought the book was going to be disappointing as the start was slow and the story line quite predictable, however the pace quickened and the characters and their individual lives became much more interesting & realistic, I didn't want the book to end. Good debut novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop the Clock, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
This is a book which needs your undivided attention! Very difficult to put down even at 1am! Gripping and often messy real life adventure of 3 friends in their thirties, beautifully written. Funny, sad, uplifting, honest insights to their lives, loves and losses. Some difficult issues faced head on and handled sensitively. Looking forward to next novel from Alison Mercer, until then, this debut novel will find its way in to Christmas stockings for all my friends and family this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
This is the first Alison Mercer book I have read. The lives of 3 friends are interwoven very interestingly and combine to produce a good storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good easy true to life read, 15 Aug 2013
J. Gorey "jacjas" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
Enjoyed this book easy to read and true to life. Well written and was a book I looked forward to picking up

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, straight read with a few twists along the lines., 10 July 2013
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
Stop the clock Follows the lives of three best friends during the most testing times of their existence so far. All secretly struggling and scared to tell each other the truth. After Lucy, Natalie and Tina give each other their 10 year plan, will they have stuck to it.

I have to be honest and say at times this book did drag for me. It seemed to lose its way a bit during the middle. It did pick up again though and I was happy to continue with it and enjoy it. The plots are good and the characters strong, reliable and extremely different which brings a lot of diversity into the plots. They have been divided enough so you get to know each of the characters personally and as a trio.

Overall the book is a nice, straight read with a few twists along the lines.

I recommend this book if you enjoy romance, struggles and friendship.

4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab read!, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
Thoughtful, insightful & very enjoyable. Modern day relationship ups and downs considered and written beautifully. No shocking twists or turns but unpredictable all the same. Had me willing character's on and turning pages to find the answers. Perfectly fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best debut novel of 2012, 24 Mar 2013
S. A. Bollongino "Bookaholic" (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stop the Clock (Paperback)
This is for me the best debut novel of 2012. The writing style, superb editing and the three interwoven stories of Lucy, Tina and Natalie are wonderful. Loved the cover illustration too!

This book is sharp, witty, poignant and very up-to-date, also mercifully free of the kind of foul language and sex which seems to be permeating debut chick lit books at present. The back cover summary is accurate so you know exactly the main threads of the story, again refreshing for a 2012 book.

The characters are not instantly likeable but their stories have you gripped from the beginning and as the book progresses you do come to either empathise with them or have sympathy for their situation and one of the three will become your favourite.

I look forward to Alison Mercer's second book due out later this year, she can really write and her editor is a genius, many congratulations to you both!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›