‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Throne of Glass novella 4, 22 July 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Assassin and the Empire is the fourth prequel novella released in the run up to Sarah J Maas' debut novel Throne of Glass. You don't need to read these stories in order to understand the novel but they do give more of an insight into main character Celaena and the events that happen in the year leading up to the beginning of the book so I would definitely recommend them. I would suggest reading the novellas in order though and it would be better to read them before Throne of Glass.

In this novella Celaena and Sam have paid back their debt to Arobynn but if they ever want to be free of his influence over their lives they must risk it all in order to make enough money to leave him and Rifthold far behind. But how much will this latest job really cost them and is it a price they are prepared to pay?

As I have already read an advanced copy of Throne of Glass I had actually given myself a major spoiler for this final prequel novella. Even though I knew one of the major things that would happen I still found myself holding my breath as I was reading just hoping that I would be proved wrong. I think if I hadn't already known what was going to happen I would have been shocked to the core as events played out, I know when I was reading the book I was horrified but it did mean that the novella didn't have quite as much impact as it should have done. Anyone reading this having only read the first 3 novellas should be prepared for an emotional ride though and possibly keep the tissues on hand just in case!

I have thoroughly enjoyed each of the novellas and I loved Throne of Glass so would definitely recommend the series to any fantasy fan. I can't wait to see what Sarah J Maas comes up with next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Both a wind-up and a set-up story, 13 Nov. 2014
Steve Benner "Stonegnome" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
"The Assassin and the Empire" concludes the series of "prequel novellas" (or, more accurately, pre-release advertising teasers) for Sarah J. Maas' teen romance/fantasy novel, "Throne of Glass". It neatly wraps up all of the prequel threads and also sets things up perfectly for the opening of the main novel.

Anyone who has already read the main novel will be fully aware of the outcomes and events which unfold here and it is to the author's credit that she does nothing to string things out or attempt any surprises along the way. Instead, she cranks up the tension by having events roll steadily and relentlessly towards their inexorable conclusion, making this easily the most gripping of the prequel stories.

Established fans will love this story, as it provides lots of additional detail to the Celaena Sardothien's back-story and provides some tantalising hints as to how the main novels may yet develop in future. Anyone coming afresh to the stories by reading the prequels first will not be disappointed here, either. It cannot, of course, really be recommended on its own, needing the reader to be familiar with the earlier novellas ("The Assassin and the Pirate Lord", "The Assassin and the Desert" and "The Assassin and the Underworld" all being heavily referenced.)

Since the release of the omnibus edition of all five 'Throne of Glass' novellas, "The Assassin's Blade", it has become pointless buying each of the stories separately -- especially as the second tale in the prequel sequence, "The Assassin and the Healer", is only available as part of the omnibus collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Empire strikes back style ending!!!, 25 Jun. 2013
I knew the end was coming, and I kept hoping I was wrong. If you have read Throne of Glass main novel. You will know how this one had to end. Even as an assassin Celaena is still young trusting and most of all a little naive. This leaves her open to people she believes she should trust. I enjoyed the book for the most part I enjoyed the interaction between all the characters. I know what was coming (one of the reason I hate prequels), I was hoping I was wrong. There are at least two more characters that Celaena must take revenge on in the series. In my opinion I hope she in not gentle.

In this story Celaena and Sam have left Assassins Keep to make their own way in the world. Now they have to fend for themselves, and are realising how expensive life (and the lifestyle Celaena is accustomed to) is. To make thing worse even though Arobyn has promised to leave them alone they have been essentially black balled. Sam is fighting in the Vaults (fight club), because he does not like living off Celaena. The lovers realise that they only way they are truly going to be free is if the leave completely. Still they need Arobyn's blessing so no assassins are sent after them. For this they need money. A lot of money. They need a big job, big risk for the needed big reward.

I think Sarah J Maas is excellent at writing the emotion the characters are feeling. The end of this book and the beginning of the main book I felt everything from Celaena's rage, hopelessness to resolve. I am even impressed with the action scenes. They are not over the top, they have a realistic technical, and tactical side to them. Very impress with the series so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Heart-Breaking Fouth Novella, 26 July 2012
This is the fourth and final throne of glass novella in which Sam and Celaena are living together and trying to get enough money to leave Rifthold for good by doing one last but dangerous assignment.

This novella is heart breaking but it is nice to know how Celaena ends up where she is at the beginning of throne of glass. Celaena does make a lot of mistakes in this book but she is still a really interesting character which I have liked getting to know.

I love the relationship between Celaena and Sam but I'm annoyed about how this storyline ends, but I can see why it needs to happen this way for Celaena story to progress.

I love how Maas makes you really care about the character even in a story as short as this and I am counting down the days until throne of glass comes out and I hope it is as good as the novellas suggest it will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read!, 2 Jan. 2014
This book is so captivating and full of detail with lots of thrilling scenes. It is absolutely amazing and grabs your attention at an instant thus making you want to read on without stopping. i would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves adventure books and this series. The Throne of Glass novellas are just incredible and keeps you gripped all the way to the very end and i ended up reading all the novellas. it definitely exceeded my expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars The assassin and the empire, 27 Oct. 2013
I've enjoyed this book I'm going to start reading the next one and see if it's as good as the others I've read in this series

5.0 out of 5 stars 9 months ago, 18 Sept. 2013
M. Dean Young "Elfin Holly" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Sarah Maas gives us hope and the takes it away. Celaena is amazing and her reaction to everything feels so real. This brings us up to date with the beginning of Throne of Glass and explains who Celaena is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 25 Aug. 2013
The item arrived very quickly and in good condition as advertised.
I would definitely consider buying from this seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, 11 Aug. 2013
Love these little novellas... Lead up to the main story really well and great background plots that are referred to lightly in the main book. Continuation is great. Love the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 10 Aug. 2013
I enjoyed reading this book . It was easy reading and I'm enjoying the books in this series . .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›