5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent bridge camera
I bought this bridge camera after returning a Nikon Coolpix L810 which had a defect when recording movies (not via Amazon as I didn't know they sold it).I am delighted with the Panasonic as it's less expensive than similar point & shoot cameras but still takes sharp pictures in good light conditions with the 21x zoom.
The pros are:
1.Good zoom lens with easy...
Published 20 months ago by fred26

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, well featured camera, with a few design flaws
I bought this camera at the last minute before going on holiday and thanks to Amazon's rapid dispatch was able to play with it for a couple of days before using it intensively for a week. It mostly lived up to expectations, although there a few little irrtations that you need to get used to or work around.

My previous camera is a very simple Fuji which reliably...
Published 19 months ago by Cheapjack

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent bridge camera, 9 Dec 2012
The pros are:
1.Good zoom lens with easy access mode dial on the top of the camera
2.Option to use manual mode if you wish. Unbelievable for a camera at this price.
3.It's well constructed, has an easy to navigate menu system on a 3" clear LCD viewfinder
4.Takes good HD video at 720p
5.Uses for 4 AA batteries for convenience. I recommend using NiMH rechargeable batteries rated with at least with 2300 mAh which I purchased via Amazon. I recommend Energiser
6.The camera appears to be more robust and the textured grip gives it a more solid feel than the Nikon Coolpix
7.Good macro pictures and the choice of various autofocus modes.
8.Panasonic iA setting works well if you wish to use the camera in idiot proof mode
The cons are:
1.Noise apparent in the pictures when the sensor's sensitivity (ISO) is increased above 200 so I recommend taking pictures at ISO 200 or 100 for best results. However, this will mean that the camera will automatically reduce shutter speed to get the correct exposure in low light conditions. Tripod will be required or a very steady set of hands. However, this is a problem that affects all point-and shoot cameras not just the Panasonic
2. It does not capture pictures in RAW but what do you expect at this price point!
3. The absence of a HDMI port to show HD videos on a HD TV is an obvious oversight

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, well featured camera, with a few design flaws, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix LZ20 Bridge Camera - Red (16.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

My previous camera is a very simple Fuji which reliably takes good pictures but I wanted something a bit better with a good optical zoom,so, as I'm not expert (or rich) enough to go for an SLR, decided on this bridge camera.

To get started there are some basic paper instructions (in upteen languages) which are very basic indeed and tell you little that is not obvious. There is a CD with a bit more detail on it, but even this is very brief and left a few unanswered questions.Both these are also available online.

Using the camera was pretty straightforward although a bit more complicated than a basic digital camera.
You can select the various standard modes like Scenery, Portrait etc. and it also has an 'intelligent auto' mode which is the point and click option, meaning it selects scenary, portrait, or macro mode etc. automatically. This works pretty well although sometimes it takes a while to sort itself out and while it does so the display is a bit confusing with various symbols and green or red rectangles popping up.Presumably these latter are something to do with the focus but being a bit of a beginner I havent worked them out yet and the manual does not help much. For the advanced user there is the option to set exposure etc. yourself which is a good feature for this price bracket.

The minor irritations I mentioned are:
- The camera will not start up with the lens cap on. Fair enough; but surely it would be possible to tell you to remove the cap and then carry on with startup.Or simply bleep at you and refuse to start. What it actually does is makes a funny noise for 5 seconds, then tells you to remove the lens cap and start the camera again, then chunters for a further 15 (fifteen!) seconds and finally switches itself off. By which time you have lost the chance to take a quick photo, if not the will to live.
- The on/off switch is very easy to activate in error. In most devices it is recessed, or a 'push and hold'.
This one is prominent on top of the case so if you are not careful you can switch the camera off while trying to take a quick photo,or on as you are stowing it away.
- It has no viewfinder. Fair enough at this price, and the screen adjusts the brightness so you can see it in bright conditions.
But if the sun is very bright and in the wrong position all you can see on the screen is your own reflection so its impossible to
compose the picture.
- It goes thru batteries very quickly. There is a battery power indicator, but it is not terribly accurate, and the camera is liable to suddenly die at any time once it stops showing max power. However the AA batteries it uses are readily available and its not much trouble to carry some spares.

On the good side:
- The camera feels quite robust and although its early days, seems pretty well made and reliable.
- the zoom facility is excellent.
- The anti-shake option works well and enables some pretty sharp pictues even on full zoom.
- Macro close ups, e.g. of flowers, come out really well and the intelligent auto mode works fine here.
- It takes very good pictures of night scenes,fireworks etc. i.e.in dark conditions without using flash.
- Flash pictures with red-eye reduction are excellent although you need to warn people to hold the pose for the extra few seconds the camera takes to work things out in intelligent mode
- At this price the lens is not the superb Leica you get on upmarket Lumix models but is still pretty good.
- I havent done much with the movie mode but it seems to work OK
- The manual settings option is good to have at this price and I will definitely explore that further when I have time.

The irritations drove me mad at first and if I'd written this review at the beginning of the holiday it would have been lucky
to get any stars at all. However once you get used to them this camera is very good value for money. If they sort out the design flaws its a five star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 April 2013
Being a total novice with cameras,i thought i would try a bridge one out.
I cant fault it.
price so cheap (almost same as a compact digital camera
robust
easy to sort out the controls eventually!
excellent picture quality.
super camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Dec 2013
I used this at Whipsnade Zoo and the zoom was truly amazing. The quality of the images printed to A3 size was better than my Nikon F3 that I had for many years. The camera was delivered on time, was well padded and at 82, was a bargain. I like the red colour too, it's different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible camera, 18 Nov 2013
A great camera for a great price of 65 quid, works great and has a fantastic wide angle,
takes flawless pictures with colour and sharpness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minor annoyances, 14 Nov 2013
slowstolid (Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Camera performs very well and was able to do things that my previous camera could not. However when I switch the Camera on it has the annoying action of NOT switching on properly if the lens cap is in place. The system forces me to switch of and try again with the cap off. This is most annoying as, if I am in a hurry to take a picture the opportunity is missed and the split second of timing means I miss a good picture. The other annoying feature is the requirement for a particular variety of batteries to be fitted otherwise there are "error" style messages displayed and the battery life "statements" are out of synch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use for a beginner!, 10 Sep 2013
Simple, light, easy to hold and looks good. Bad things are it takes too long I between shots. Also it occasionally never focuses properly.
Still a good little camera for a beginner like me, and I'm not generally good at techy things but this I could easily use!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent camera, 19 Aug 2013
good quality camera for the price!! does what it says on the tin cant really fault anything other than colour

3.0 out of 5 stars impressive one this one..., 23 July 2013
I'm no noob with Camera's, I've used HD video cameras and great DSLR's but sumthin about this camera makes it all feel a little more fun.

Upon unboxing this LZ20 I realised it wasn't sealed, but maybe that was at the airport incase they thought i was smuggling nitro-glycerine lol, the box contained 4 Panasonic AA Batteries, I donno why i thought it didn't ship with any so I had bought a couple of Energizers in advance, anyway, the batteries were fully charged and after 2 hours of moderate use I still see a 3/3 battery meter.

The Battery/SD card cover doesn't feel too strong, I'm extra gentle with it tho, coz if that goes, might as well dispose of the entire thing,

Power Button could have been placed in a more inset way or have an alternate position to avoid pressing it by mistake when searching for the shutter button, but contrary to what some post said about the camera taking 10 seconds to turn on and another 5 to focus, mine takes no more than 2, maybe 3 seconds n you're ready to go!
Turn on the camera while the lens cover is on THEN u risk wasting about 6 seconds to get it back off n on properly,

Switching between modes is a breeze via the dial on top of the cam, a little getting used to the controls though, took me about 5-10minutes without the manual. I'm still trying to figure out if I can take Time-Lapse photos with this.
I donno what i was thinkin wen i read MANUAL EXPOSURE I thought i could focus and zoom manually (by rotating the lens by hand) anyway it's all good with focusing automatically as the response time is quick.

Images are 16MP max, not as crisp as the more expensive cam's but still amazingly good especially in daytime... and for this price tag i won't complain!
LCD screen is good, other Camera's i admired actually had less than 460K pixels.
HD Video at 1280x720 errr, not quite what I was expecting, I expected better, and this was my main interest in getting this camera so I'll have to go for sumthin else for the HD video bit, this one has too much grain even on a bright day, My LG phone takes better videos at 640x480, Im just saying... however I'm not going to return this one neither am I gonna stop using it, it feels good, must be the red color i chose. lol
--------------------------------------------------------
ONE more thing while I'm on Video recording....
--------------------------------------------------------
After you set up the focus, exposure, zoom and all that stuff, in readiness to shoot a video... once you begin recording you CANNOT zoom in or out again until you're done recording. hmmm
With a 16GB SDHC card the camera tells me i have 8 minutes of HD recording. quite a high bitrate for such unsatisfactory quality, anyway, I love this camera, even after I order something with a little more optical zoom and crisp HD Video, this one shall forever be my love :)

-----
EDIT - 1st August 2013
-----
I don't like how quick this Camera goes through batteries, why didn't you give it a rechargeable inbuilt NiMH battery I can charge via USB when connected to PC huh Panasonic??? grrr

5.0 out of 5 stars Exelent, 28 May 2013
It is the most beautiful for this money. It is easy to work with it. I like it very much.