5.0 out of 5 stars An updated and much improved FZ48!
Published 22 months ago by S. Kent

3.0 out of 5 stars New model adds little
This is a good bridge camera which replaces the FZ48 but note that HD video recording is still 1080i/720p not the full 1080p/50fps you get on the FZ150 and FZ200 and there is no option to connect an external microphone for much improved sound recording. It is cheaper and more compact than an equivalent DSLR but note that the sensor is smaller.

There is very...
Published 21 months ago by DaveT

5.0 out of 5 stars An updated and much improved FZ48!, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix FZ62 Bridge Camera - Black (16.1MP, 24x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I already own the FZ48 & am impressed with it's performance but could not resist buying the new FZ62. I was initially concerned about the increase from 12MP to 16MP with such a small processor but my doubts proved to be short-lived. The new CMOS sensor performs brilliantly with increased low light performance, accurate colour reproduction & excellent IQ. The addition of extra pre set buttons means there is less need to search through the cameras menu system resulting in faster settings change. The addition of variable defocus, HDR & a host of new creative settings with 'in camera' retouch is excellent, also the ability to set the ISO in 1/3rd increments is a great addition. The FZ62 also has a larger intelligent zoom up to 48x which presents surprisingly good quality images at full digital zoom!

One thing worth noting is that a lens hood is not included with the FZ62 unlike there was with the FZ48, this was a slight disappointment but these are cheaply available online so wasn't a major problem. I do consider a lens hood to be an essential accessory.

If you have been considering the FZ48 then I would definitely recommend paying a bit more and going for the FZ62 as it has a number of worthwhile improvements over previous models.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, 6 Dec 2012
I have been really pleased with this camera although I am still learning some of the functions. The manual can be downloaded from the Panasonic website and I had no problems locating this. You will need it if you want to get the most from the features on this bridge camera.

The camera is easy to use, it is quite intuitive if you are used to using digital cameras. I have always used point and shoot cameras and wanted to upgrade to a bridge camera. This one seemed to offer the best of both worlds. The Intelligent Mode does everything for you but you can adjust the settings in other modes to get the right photo. It has some nice pre-progammed modes such as night portrait and hand-held photos at night, plus a mode for photos through glass. The macro and macro zoom function are great and I found the shots are really clear - you can get close enough to see the texture of the leaves on plants.

I was worried the camera would be bulky and heavy after using compact cameras in the past, but I have not found it to be a problem. There's no case with the camera but it does have a lens cap and strap. The battery is removed for charging. Beware the cable on the charger is very short at less than 2 feet which means it has to rest on the floor when plugged in for charging.

Overall a great camera and a good price on Amazon, especially with the cashback offer too. I would recommend to someone interesting in photography and wanting to upgrade from a compact but not quite fully confident to have an SLR fully manual camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, both for value for money and functionality, 11 Dec 2012
Having always been a Canon devotee, I naturally looked at upgrading from my Powershot S2 IS to a full Canon digital SLR, and opted for the entry level 1100D. A short trip to Marrakesh would provide the ideal test for it.

The camera itself is perfect as an entry level SLR, and the picture quality superb (especially with the compatible zoom lenses from my SLR days). BUT. But but but. The weight! The inconvenience of carrying extra lenses, bags, lens covers! The changing of lenses on hot, dry, dusty streets. Far, far too much of an effort. I ended up debating whether to even take the camera out for the day, which totally negated the point.

So, to the Lumix. Mrs Cheshire Gent has had a Lumix for a couple of years, and I have to say I've always been impressed. The FZ62 is the perfect Bridge (see?) between a standard digital and an SLR. A huge 24x zoom means you won't have to worry about missing those far off shots.

Picture quality is also very, very good, whether shooting close ups or far off, or at night.

It is very clever too - leave it on Intelligent Auto and let it do the work for you - there is no point in wasting your time and effort trying to be clever-er than the camera. The HD recording is also very good - I tested it on Guy Fawkes' Night, and was very impressed with the way it caught each firework and the pops, bangs, oohs and aahs very clearly.

Being powered by one lithium battery - which seems to last forever - means that it is light and stress free.

All in all, very happy. Minor niggle? No case (that's just cheap, Panasonic) and the flash doesn't pop up automatically (yes, you have to use your finger to press a button!). But really, the camera itself cannot be faulted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Camera, 18 Mar 2013
Mrs. C. A. Donnelly (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
I wanted something easy to use but more substantial than a compact. This is light and easy to hold. The screen is big enough to see the picture clearly and it has a whole array of scenes and effects that can enhance the image. The zoom is a bonus and the video option is useful. Battery lasts a long time and charges quickly. For the money, this is a good deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars PANASONIC LUMIX FZ62 BRIDGE CAMERA, 20 Feb 2013
I have owned two previous Panasonic Lumix compact cameras and both produced excellent results. It is early days yet as I have not been able to use all the functions available and I am still in the early stages of getting to grips with this model.
The plus points are the excellent picture quality thanks to the lens in this series and the additional bonus of an eye-level viewfinder which is extremely useful. Results so far have shown very good quality pics. with the 16mp processor enabling enlargements with little loss of definition. All in all, a very good compromise between the convenience of a compact and the complexities of an SLR.
The big complaint is the lack of a hard copy manual. Amazingly, Panasonic sent FIVE manuals in different languages in the package NONE of which were in English. As Victor Meldrew would say "I DON'T BELIEVE IT !!" Sadly, the on line download available runs to over 200 pages, costly to print and much of which includes instructions for another model. In addition, when I tried to download the manual from the disc provided I got a message saying "You already have a more up to date version on your computer" (I had already downloaded the On Line manual !) If someone from Panasonic actually reads this Please, Please get your act together and include a paper copy of the manual in the box and make sure there is an English version included and get an online download of the manual available which is specific to this model only thereby restoring some semblance of sanity to your operation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic price, zoom outperforms many pro cameras, 24 Dec 2012
My 3rd Lumix bridge camera. Cannot beat the zoom on these. Will outperform many of the professional looking lense attached cameras. May not look the pro, but still came out top for me when shooting same shot with Lumix and comparing to a Canon with a long expensive lense. Zoom the business.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic upgrade, 14 Dec 2012
i previously only ever used compact cameras but after seeing all the great images from our wedding, we thought it was time to upgrade, been watching this camera for the last 3 months, what a camera it is, easy to use, great zoom and top quality picture. granted as other reviews point out HD video can only be viewed on there own software but that's not a big problem,
i would recommend this to anyone thinking of upgrading from a compact.
got his on Christmas deals for 200 and then sent off to Panasonic for a 40 cash back! so a great camera for 160 bargain!!!!
couldn't recommend it any higher

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic at it's best., 6 Mar 2013
This is the most versatile camera ever produced, the performance of the lens at = > 600mm is mind blowing. the performance of the sensor was criticised by some users. used correctly ie, at max of X25 on a tripod the detail is perfect.
Some people the sensor is not up to the JOB. now go an put it on a tripod and remove CAMERA SHAKE. Test it Look again.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 16 May 2013
After researching for ages I decided to buy this camera, it has all the features required plus a lot of fancy effects which may be useful one day. However the results are excellent, the anti shake mode brilliant in telephoto and dim light. Selectives on A3 are quite stunning,very happy with it however the manual supplied is not the best I have read ,you have to explore the controls and settings to fully understand the capabilities of this camera, however still recomendable,,, Viking

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera, 28 Aug 2013
I have never written a review before, but thought I would, as other people's reviews helped with my choice to buy this camera. I'll admit I only received it yesterday and I am by no means an expert of photography. But I have been playing with it ever since, and as someone arty and very snap happy, I am so pleased with it and every photo I have taken gives me great pleasure.

Bought mainly to photograph my new baby, but as baby is not yet here I have been experimenting with the settings (there is even a baby setting). I have taken some beautiful photos with it. The optical zoom is mind-baffling, I didn't know it was possible to take photos from that far away, it is almost scary. The close up photos are amazing, I feel like an artist but really it is just the camera doing the work. So far I have experimented mostly outdoors in natural light, but from what I have seen of the flash and the lighting at night so far, it seems to be excellent. The photos I have taken of my dog are beautiful, including some hilarious action shots. I managed to take a photo of a beautiful sunset over the sea through the window of a car moving at 60mph, and the photo is beautiful. What I wanted in particular was a camera that took a photo as soon as you hit the shutter button, so what you see is what you photograph, and this camera does exactly that.

In addition, the battery life is great from what I can see. I have been playing with it almost constantly since it arrived yesterday at about 3pm, and it hasn't gone down a bar yet. I chose this one as I could not afford the FZ200. My friend came to stay having just bought the FZ200, so I was worried I would not be getting as good a camera. But, although I am sure there must be differences, I cannot notice any difference in the photo quality.

I genuinely haven't a clue how this rates for photography fanatics who truly know their stuff, but this is well worth the money for those wanting to photograph life more beautifully and to learn about photography. Looking at other people's photos taken with this camera that they have uploaded on here helped me to make my decision, so I will try and upload some of mine.