Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 6 May 2014
Book 3 of the serialisation picks up a bit.

I'm loath to give too much in the way of a spoilers but, the fever continues on it destructive path and they try to survive on the island.

With the arrival of a stranger and something evil the whole plot picked up a bit.

The missing 'C' formatting continued in this book. There was also an increase the in the Errors/Bug Bears. I'm not sure if this might be because the author was concentrating on picking up the pace , or if it had a different editing team?

As usual, a fuller post can be found on my Blog #444 in May 2014.
on 28 October 2012
I am currently on the third 'book' and whilst I am enjoying the series, I think it is unfair to make a reasonably sized book into 5 instalments
on 24 September 2013
This is part 3 of 5 sections of The Island. The author has produced it in sections (which he explains in the books themselves) but they are all part of one whole, and it is thus that I review them.

The story is very reminiscent of Stephen King's The Stand, in that the story revolves around a virus which sweeps across the world, killing billions; the subsequent breakdown of society's law and order and the small gathering of isolated people who develop a micro-cosmic society.

For me, Stephen King is the author most likely to keep me up until the early hours of the morning, because I cannot bear to put the book down. Michael Stark had a very similar effect on me.

His characters are really well drawn, the story has good pace, the location descriptions are good, and the gory bits are not too vile (and reasonably easy to gloss over without losing too much of the story).

A new discovery for me. I eagerly await the follow up - The Rock - and will also seek out other work by the author.
on 3 January 2014
While others have complained about the way this is published, I quite like the idea of three free instalments to find out whether or not you care enough about any of the characters, before you part with any money. I'm still in the undecided camp, I know It's only 64 pence (UK) but 11 pence more can get me a sausage sandwich (yum) in the works canteen!!
I really liked the build up in Part One, apart from the sheriff scenes which just seemed to be cliche laden and may well have been stolen (partly) from Desperation (Stephen King)
The trouble with the rest of the book (series) is there is just no terror in it and unless someone can assure me parts 4/5 are going to get better, the canteen is going to win out
on 21 March 2013
I've not seen a novel split into five parts before coming across this and it works. Having the first 3 parts free ensured I was far enough in to the story to purchase the last two but if I was the author I think I'd bite the bullet and tie the whole lot together into one slightly more expensive full length novel.

The writing style means situations tend to be over described but I kind of liked that as I'm not familiar with either America or how to sail a boat.

I have to admit some of the scenes had me looking worriedly out of my bedroom window....nothing like getting the pulse racing right before bed time!

I can't wait for future books to be released by this author.
on 6 February 2013
Not a lot happens in the first of these books, but it 'sets the scene'. You need to read all to books for them to make scense. It's an OK read for a free book. The second books was a bit silly, but by the end of the third book I was hooked!

There are parts which appear a bit forced. The part with the vet was just silly, but by the end of the book it all made scense. I didn't intend to buy the last two books, and I have read reviews which say not to, but I will as I an hooked and need to know how the series ends.

I gave the first book 3 stars, the second 4 stars and the third 5 stars. I will review the last two once I have read them.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 December 2012
Part three and the world is one huge ball of chaos with reports of demons and monsters eating their way through what is left of the human population.
William has realised that the Fever is the least of his worries. Now it is about saving the small merry band of people stranded on that island.
By the way, I can hear that goblin saying Wee-lee-um in the back of my mind and it just isn't pretty.
The story has still got an edge and pull to it and yes enough to warrant buying the next part, despite my continual moan about breaking this great book into five parts.
Let's find out how Daniel knows what he knows.
on 21 November 2012
I like the idea of having 3 out of 5 parts of this story free - by the time you get to the end of part 3, you know whether you want to part with money to find out the end - and I did!!

The ideas aren't necessarily new, but they're written in a gripping, engaging way and the main character is well fleshed out and you really want him to survive.

Some things don't quite add up - the animosity of the cop and the suggestion that we'll come across him loads of times - we don't. How they know his name, but don't know ... (well, I can't tell you, it would spoil it!).
on 8 December 2012
This book was a slow starter for me, just about to put part one down and when it suddenly stopped driveling on about minute details about the guys past and i thought we would never get to the present when bang it turned into a book I havn't been abale to put down, not finished it yet but I certainly will be, what I love about this auther is he puts in a little snippet of whats to come but with out telling you what he means that gets you so intrigued you are hopping about to see what he means haha, fab book and not even the line I usually read, would recommend with out a doubt
on 11 March 2013
Good Book Rubbish Ending

I really enjoyed reading all four parts of this book until the end, without giving the end away it just finished very suddenly and left me a bit disappointed.

I found this quite strange as it was a great read and could of easily read another four to see it resolved properly, it seems like it was really rushed when he had so much more options he could of gone with some more imagination. not the big bang ending i was hoping for. it left nothing answered don't think i will wait for a resolution.