4.0 out of 5 stars I CAME HERE TO BURY HIM
Published 19 months ago by The Movie Guy

Published 4 months ago by RSProds

3.0 out of 5 stars TOM CRUISE AS JACK REACHER FLESHES OUT LEE CHILD'S "ONE SHOT", 3 July 2014
RSProds "rbsprods" (Deep in the heart of Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
Three and a half INTERESTING Stars overall; Five Stars for the thrilling action sequences at the end of this film adaptation of author Lee Child's novel "One Shot: A Jack Reacher Novel". As an action hero, Tom Cruise brought 4 "Mission Impossible" movies to the screen to the tune of $2Billion total for the franchise and established himself as an action hero even before that with SciFi epics like "Minority Report" and "War of the Worlds", and more recently "Oblivion" and "Edge of Tomorrow", among others. Jack Reacher fans know author Child's physical description of Mr Reacher very well: really big, tall, muscular, strong, and smart. So Cruise taking on such an admired tough guy role in Jack Reacher brings "muscular, strong, and smart" to the role, but even author Child was won over in the end. My one encounter with Jack Reacher was years ago in Lee Child's book "Jack Reacher (One Shot)" and Cruise is not the Jack Reacher-type specified there. Nonetheless, Hollywood sometimes has a way of making it work, amid the many failures of other actors and roles, and Cruise works himself comfortably into the role as the movie proceeds. He is considerably helped along by the contrasts with some nasty bad guys and some nice acting and eye-candy from British actress Rosamund Pike. Also, there is a surprise cameo by one of our greatest actors who 'ups the ante' considerably while getting some GREAT one-liners to emote: I won't identify him but his casting was brilliant and the interaction between this actor and Cruise is excellent. The film's slow pace drags at times and there are potholes, but persevering to the end will pay off in the climactic face-offs. Then the writer leaves a Reacher 'calling card' at the very end. Viewers will want to go back to the beginning to watch those opening scenes again to fill in the blanks. Also starring Werner Herzog, Richard Jenkins, and David Oyelowo. Definitely Recommended, even to Reacher fans. Three and a half CREDIBLE Stars (Amazon Direct Video: 2 hours and 10 minutes.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Reacher-light and Action Movie-light, 12 Jun 2013
Mark Dyer (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I've read all the Reacher books (I think) and have no great objection to someone of Tom Cruise's size being cast as JR. As far as I am concerned, however, the film didn't do enough to differentiate itself from the many other 'Action movies' already made.

Not enough was made of the calm and brooding menace, and the great powers of deduction. I think that's a combination of the screenplay and direction, as well as the acting. TC can do many things but he certainly couldn't stride manfully about the police station in the early scenes and he couldn't scowl or stare down anyone, as in the scene in the bus depot. The attempt at a 'seven samurai' moment immediately before the car chase was quite poor.

And why have a car chase? That just put the film into similar territory as the Bournes, Bruce Willis and others. I think the time should have been spent developing and illustrating the character, to create something different and play to its strengths. Talking of acting; I thought TC looked quite anxious whilst driving the car - I imagine JR isn't anxious about anything.

I enjoyed the opening scenes, the telling of a story without dialogue. We saw something of the analysis and sleuthing but not really enough. I just think that in the end we had a passable but identikit action movie when there had been a good opportunity to create something better.

4.0 out of 5 stars I CAME HERE TO BURY HIM, 22 April 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
The film opens up like "Basic" with one man requesting another. A man (Joseph Sikora) is accused of random shootings. The evidence is overwhelmingly against him. In Iraq he was a sniper. Jack Reacher (Tom Cruise) arrives as a brash and cocky individual, a role Tom Cruise has perfected. Jack is elusive. Eventually he takes on the task as the lead investigator for the accused. His lawyer (Rosamund Pike) happens to be the daughter of the prosecutor (Richard Jenkins). As Jack investigates, things are not what they seem which draws us into the story.

Unfortunately the mystery is short lived as clues come too fast. It then resorts to an us vs. them with a car chase scene that lasted way too long for this type of crime drama. The script was otherwise well done. Acting was as we would expect from the cast. Makes for a decent rental. There could be a Jack Reacher sequel, hopefully with some complexity. This is another film shot in Pittsburgh, the Hollywood of the East.

Parental Guide: 1 F-bomb, no sex or nudity. Some spicy language and sexual references.

1.0 out of 5 stars What was that all about?, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Jack Reacher (Blu-ray)
More of the same - a 'big' actor pandering to his own ego. Cruise has lost all sense of reality and its not surprising looking at his back catalogue. I have only seen him 'act' once - Born on the Fourth of July - where Oliver Stone got the best out of his limited talent. Here, Cruise produces his own wet dream - every woman fancies him and he beats up all the guys. Problem is he is supposed to be some special investigator, but spends his time fighting unnecessary battles with two-bit losers. But at least his performance in this nonsense is better than that given by Rosamund Pike, which is awful. But the blame for this rubbish must be shared by all involved - a Russian baddie (novel) who has eaten his own fingers (unnecessary) and lost his white cat. Finally, what was Robert Duvall thinking - surely he doesn't need the money that badly. Poor dialogue, lots of clichés, third rate car chases ....

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME., 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Jack Reacher (DVD)
This film is start to finish, absolutely awesome.

I watched this not knowing anything about it, so I had no expectations, and frankly I thought it would probably be a passable, watchable, typical Tom Cruise affair...but no, it was considerably better than I thought it'd be!

How anybody could NOT think this is one of Tom Cruises best films I don't know. No nonsense anti-hero type character played to perfection, with a great script (let's face it there are very few of these around in the action world these days).
I loved this film. And I very rarely say that!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing lead role., 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
Why oh why was Tom Cruise cast as Jack Reacher in this film? It shattered my imagination from the word go. I have read all Lee Child's Reacher books and every one of them give his description as a huge man of about 6ft 5" and not a midget like Tom Cruise. He is supposed to have hands the size of saucepans for goodness sake. It put a downer on the whole film. I mean if the main character is nothing like the one in the book, what is the point? How about Liam Neeson in the role?

I gave this film three stars because I suppose it is OK as a film in its own right.

3.0 out of 5 stars No surprises here., 27 Nov 2014
Kilrymont (Somewhere in Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
It's on Netflix. At two years of age that tells you it's not a top-line Cruiser.

And - it isn't. The script is something only its writer could love, being wooden and lacklustre. Cruise turned up and said his lines and flexed a few muscles in the compulsory shirtless scene so the audience could see his pecs aren't too flabby, given his age. Mostly he is Every Action Hero in his action scenes, although he's not what he was in earlier works. I'd rather see him do some real acting - which, on occasion, he's capable of. But not in this flick.

The bad guys don't shave and obligingly wear black leather so we can ID them more easily, and their boss once gnawed off his fingers as his prison food was a bit dicey. That's a more credible reason than the one he provided in the script, which was ludicrous.

Cruise is capable of better than this, and I'd guess most of the cast could be similar.

The director was also the writer, not a good idea to my mind, and his direction brings no surprises or innovative approaches to any scenes at all. All goes more or less as could be foretold by any seasoned movie watcher, it's as formulaic as that.

So - overall it's a bit of a pot boiler and one that looked like they'd shape things up to make it a vehicle for a franchise, like the M.Improbable series - which certainly earned a few $m in its day. I don't see this getting close to that standard and frankly I'm surprised Cruise got involved, not only as the star but as a main producer - so he obviously thought the thing had merit. I think the resulting movie would tend to show he got it a bit wrong with this one.

A different writer/director might well have brought these rather wooden performances to life. Like maybe Paul Greengrass, who masterminded two of the Bourne films.

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is a really good read, I really enjoyed it and I will ..., 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this having read the book One Shot on which it is based. The book is a really good read, I really enjoyed it and I will now read the rest of the Jack Reacher stories. I am afraid to say the film is not a patch on the book. It starts off well, with a sniper picking off random pedestrians in an act of apparent madness. This scene works well, but the movie takes a downward spiral with the introduction of Tom Cruise as Reacher. If you haven`t read the book you may find his performance acceptable. If you have read the book I have no doubt you won`t. Jack Reacher is supposed to be 6`5" tall and built like a brick outhouse. Scenes in the book where Reachers sheer physical size and presence intimidates those around him do not transfer well to the screen. The problem is Tom Cruise, he just doesn`t cut it as Reacher because he lacks
the size or presence. I found the scene in the shop where he intimidates and threatens the manager laughable
I am sorry as I really wanted to like it, but unfortunately I couldn`t, as I had read the book and was familiar with the main character. I hope they make more Jack Reacher movies, but they have to change the lead to someone who at least looks the part physically.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jack Reacher - On Cruise Control, 15 April 2013
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched this film you puzzle at its conclusion what attracted Cruise to the anti hero of Lee Child's source novel and beg a simple question doesn't Tom Cruise get fed up of playing Tom Cruise? This film is fine at what it does and the words "competent", "passable", "workmanlike" and "solid" spring to mind. It's the sort of film that gets 60% on Rotten Tomatoes and try as much as you like its difficult not to warm to Cruise. The plot centres on one of Child's "Reacher" novels, "One Shot," about what appears to be a clear open-shut case against a urban sniper. The police round up him up after a shooting spree in Pittsburgh with enough evidence to put him in the clink for a lifetime. Sadly just when the D.A. thinks he's getting a signed confession, the sniper is instead scribbling a message: It reads "Get Jack Reacher." The opening scene setting this out is very tense and well handled but throughout there are are echoes of Rambo and the action sequences which are fine as far as they go never really hit the "wow" button. "Jack Reacher" is essentially I Max fodder even though on occasions you sense that a much darker beast could be teased out of Childs novels who in turn is hardly the Shakespeare of crime writers. Perhaps Cruise needs to look to some of the writers of Nordic Noir to give him a fresh approach which revolves around compelling story lines as opposed to knitting together set piece pyrotechnics? As a slice of forgettable escapist entertainment this film ticks all the boxes, as a great film it comes no where near the description.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like cruise? Then watch this clever, different film, 5 Nov 2014
Just fancied watching a good film of gun action. Well I got this film completely wrong, it's clever!
I am so glad I purchased this film, as I need to watch it again maybe for the bits I missed the first time. Really clever story line, and more of a detective film with great twists. Lately I have got slightly bored of "Cruise" playing the same action roles but as the great actor he is he really does excel in this.

Jack Reacher [DVD]
Jack Reacher [DVD] by Christopher McQuarrie (DVD - 2013)