4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable plot, but I wouldn't employ the firm!
Published on 20 Feb. 2013 by Annie W

2.0 out of 5 stars Found I Glazed Over With It
I had to pack this one in at 25%......I was glazing over with ALL the over-descriptions of takeovers and company politics, etc...I didn't get it and just lost all interest with it. It was way too complicated which was such a pity as I enjoyed the first in the series a great deal. I just can't be reading something that is such an effort to get through !
I know nothing...
Published 4 months ago by Lynda Kelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable plot, but I wouldn't employ the firm!, 20 Feb. 2013
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
This is a very enjoyable sequel, but I found the obvious, basic, security failings of the team members irritating, when they're meant to be serious professionals. Their IT expert firstly leaves a message stuck to their door, telling anyone who cares to read it where the whole team is going to be, and shortly afterwards we learn that he keeps their safe combination in full view on his desk; bearing in mind what the safe contains, I'd have sacked him on the spot. Then there's their radio voice procedure, which is so amateur that they've given away the identities of two of their call-signs within seconds, as well as having selected 'Home Plate' as the designation for their office (how difficult can that be to identify?). Add to that the consequences of Logan himself ignoring his 'buddy' rule, and you'll get some idea of why I wouldn't recommend them.

As always, there's an unnecessary amount of detail about weapons, running schedules, and the music Logan listens to. There's a fairly contemptuous passage about Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, when it's compared to the US 187th Infantry Regiment: since the former saw service in Europe throughout WWI & WWII, and the latter wasn't formed until 1942 and apparently didn't move into a war zone until 1944, I'd suggest the author might like to reconsider his attitude.

The plot itself is actually very good, but it's spoilt by the above, and by some extremely poor proof-reading and editing. Words are run together with monotonous regularity; there are inappropriate changes of tense, quite a lot of repetition, and errors such as 'I'd probably get my it back'.

Having said all that, accept the errors, turn a blind eye to the areas of prosy philosophy, and the painfully slow development of personal relationships in this book. Celebrate the understated and largely unacknowledged skills of Doc, who really is the hero here, and buy the sequel, which is in a different league.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will read more, 18 May 2014
Aurora (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
I didn't look too closely at the title when I downloaded this book (being more interested in the synopsis which, after all, is what tells me if I want to read it) so I didn't realise that it was the second in a series. I was sufficiently grabbed by the book to want to go back to the beginning and therefore intend to download the first book in the series.

Whilst there were a few basic errors which a self respecting private investigation agency should not have made, I was able to forgive those and get on with the story. In the early chapters it all seemed a little too smooth - everyone working together for the best outcome - yeah right. This book differed slightly from other books of the same genre in that the agency was more than happy to work with the FBI rather than trying to outwit them, although even here, they weren't always as open with them as the FBI would have liked, but the reasons for that were solid and well presented. I suppose it helped that Danny's girlfriend was an FBI agent. Even where Danny wasn't totally convinced that collaboration with the FBI would work out, he was able to bring them in on his terms (really?) to mop up the aftermath of events, although that doesn't seem to have been as thorough as it might have been.

The staff were well chosen for the different skills they brought to the agency, and between them they all contributed to the eventual outcome, despite some sloppy errors that even a novice would blush to admit to.

There were one or two passages which I found myself pondering the purpose. Why did we need to know so much about the man who found Rasmussen's body when we never heard anything more about him? Whilst I enjoyed reading about it, I couldn't see why we needed to know all about Danny's camping weekend. Despite these things, I enjoyed the story, and found the suspense to be about right - the element of second guessing and trying to work out how a bad guy thinks helped to build the tension, especially where it got me wondering how they were going to get out of certain situations.

Although the ending was gratifying, it wasn't too perfect as everyone concerned seemed to have overlooked something vital!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable if a trifle overloaded with technology for me, 28 Jun. 2014
Liz Bailey (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
I did like this mystery, but found the explanations of positions and people and the way the FBI works rather too ponderous. It slowed everything down for me. But I stayed with it because the mystery built up so well and the story became ever more enticing until the grand climax.

2.0 out of 5 stars Found I Glazed Over With It, 8 Feb. 2015
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
I know nothing about cryptology and really don't want to and it just went into it all way too much and totally took over the whole story. When I find myself rolling my eyes and flicking ahead it's time to call it a day.
By the time I gave up I'd only spotted a couple of apostrophe mistakes so that was good and earned it the extra star from the "I hated it" one star.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a variation of one of those - me ..., 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
This is a variation of one of those - me and my buddies set out to rescue fair damsel from evil dragon and save the world - plots. Initially a suicide/murder? enquiry, it then develops a clever central theme involving a techno time bomb, with worldwide security ramifications. Unfortunately, with occasional exceptions, that's about the only really clever bit in the whole plot. It's rather let down with too much flaccid writing, shallow characterisation and pedestrian plot development. But there was enough there to keep me going to the end, although that was in doubt at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 30 April 2014
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
Got Angel Dance free and immediately bought this and Isobel's Run as I enjoyed it so much. Hopefully M D Grayson will oblige with many for of Danny Logan's exploits!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
I didn't want to put this one down. It kept me interested from page one with its many twists and turns. Will be looking out for this author in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
Interesting good twist at the end, grabbed you towards the end couldn't put it down then, a very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it, 17 April 2013
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the first book so bought the second on and hoped it wouldn't be disappointing. It wasn't! I think that the author takes a standard case and spins it so that it makes an interesting story. I read the book within a day or so and have already started book three. Would recommend to anyone who loves a good mystery

5.0 out of 5 stars another good read, 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, and was grateful to own a book I could enjoy reading for no cost, I will look out for this author in the future and will happily pay to read another of M.D.Grayson's books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›