5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but falling apart
As others have already said, a fantastic series of books for quickly getting to grips with Photoshop. I have the whole series & consider them a must buy for photographers wanting to get to grips with each new version of the program.

Published on 12 Aug 2012 by Canaryfan

3.0 out of 5 stars The words of Scott Kellby falling to pieces in my hands
I am a fan of CS- photoshop

I crave for knowledge in the art of photography, and the new darkroom [computer]

Of the past books I have used, Scott Kelby has to be the easyest and most helpful I have found...

Cs4 & now Cs6 , Eager to read his version of photoshop Cs6, I placed my name down to order this softback book.

Now after...
Published 23 months ago by C. A. Heald

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but falling apart, 12 Aug 2012

However, as several others are reporting, my copy fell apart on first viewing, the pages appearing not to be properly glued to the spine. Hope Amazon do something about this as I would like to exchange my faulty copy. I do not want a refund or a discount to retain my current copy.

All my versions up to CS5 have had a lot of use & are still fine. My CS5 version has not fallen apart but was exchanged twice as about 20 pages were only very faintly printed. The third version was the same but I assumed there was no point exchanging again as they were probably the same.

This does not detract from the quality of the books content but does not reflect well on the quality of the printers.

I will take this up direct with Amazon as I do not wish to be without the book but would like one that will not fall apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and sound advice, 19 Aug 2012
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS6 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (Kindle Edition)
A feature of Scott Kelby's approach is the practicality that he brings to the table. He explains things simply and with a dose of humour, that makes him a superb guide to users with easy to follow instructions laid out in logical order.

Rather than detail the content (which you can see from the helpful "Look Inside" feature), it might be more helpful to compare three of the most widely used of the myriad of Photoshop user guides that are on the market - Photoshop CS6 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)), Scott Kelby's Adobe Photoshop CS6 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) and Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC.

The Dummies book is best for those completely new to Adobe Photoshop and indeed to image processing software. Unlike the other two, it is more general and so includes more on the creative art or design elements of the software. It's well organized, logical and clear. While none of the three books come with a CD of photos, the Dummies is the only one not to provide web-based images that you can work on along with the book. In fact, it's less of an instruction book and more of a general resource, although it is laid out such that you can work through it if you want to with your own images. The trademark List of 10s contained in Dummies works well here - and is less of a stretch than it can sometimes be in the series. For the new user it's very, very good indeed.

Kelby though is still my "go-to guy" for Photoshop. With Kelby you get the feeling that you are being given advice from someone who uses this software day in day out and really knows the best ways to organize your workflow. It's the shortest of the three books and is strongest for those who have upgraded from earlier versions or indeed come up from Elements. First time users will get something out of this book but it's far from comprehensive. Neither is it helpful for the graphic design elements. The biggest loss is that while he provides one of his excellent workflow examples, unlike some of his earlier Elements guides, this is a general one and doesn't detail for example different workflows for say landscape and portraits. I still refer to an old Elements guide of his for this. If you are upgrading though, this is the one I'd go for, but you may need one of the other two for the missing bits.

The Martin Evening book is a veritable brick of a book. It's longer than the other two put together. Comprehensive isn't the work but it's best for those who like to know why things happen rather than just what to do. He explains the technical bits behind the processes well. If you are the type of person who loves to read instruction manuals - this is the one for you. I find it much drier than the other two. Both Kelby and the Dummies range are known for a quirky sense of humour - Evening possesses none of this. I was around 170 pages into it before it got to something you could do with the images you can download from the website. It's a superb reference book to have but less user friendly as a guide. It's more technical and best suited to those who are already knowledgeable about both Adobe and ideally Photoshop.

Irritatingly, all have something to offer and none are cheap. I love the practicality of Kelby and remain a fan - and in fact one of the negatives about his style, his quirky humour, is more restrained here. Ideally you will want to back this up with either of the other two though - which one depends on your previous experience with the software and, to a lesser extent, the type of person you are. If you crave detail and technical information, Evening is unsurpassed. If you are newer and want a more basic introduction, you don't need to be a Dummy to benefit from the Dummies series.

3.0 out of 5 stars The words of Scott Kellby falling to pieces in my hands, 2 Sep 2012
C. A. Heald "clicky" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am a fan of CS- photoshop

Now after a month the pages are falling out , it started in the Index, then spread to the rest of the book..

each time I read it I end up gluing more of the pages in again...

This must be a fault in trying to get the book out quickly ,somthing went wrong..

I am now left wondering when I will have to buy a second book as all the pages in my existing cs6 book, will be all over the floor......

3.0 out of 5 stars Content is wonderful but binding quality poor, 25 Aug 2012
entyce "MJE" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Scott Kelby is always worth reading. I've had his books for Lightroom, Elements and Photoshop. In all books, he approaches the topics in a really friendly way, but nevertheless gets the reader to the heart of the programmes. Plenty of tips for new and Experienced readers alike. I rate the quality of his teaching very highly. He covers most of the features of PS, but bear in mind this book is aimed at the photographer, so the graphic designer would not really feel the benefit. No sections on fancy text formatting, for example. However the clue is in the title of the book - this is aimed at photographers!

However this is an expensive book and, after only 8 days use, the pages are falling out. I note others have experienced this problem so we can assume a quality issue with the manufacturer. The quality of the book (even if it hadn't fallen apart) falls way short of the quality of Martin Evening's book. I am comparing the actual book here, not the content. Kelby should do better in this respect as it does devalue the whole package in my eyes.

Amazon's returns policy is excellent though, so I have arranged for a replacement to be sent. I suspect the quality may be similar however, as this book feels very similar to all of Kelbys books - the pages do have a very thin feel to them. Fingers crossed the binding will be better.

For content I would happily give 5 stars, but this book gets a lot of use and needs to be robust; in this respect the quality falls WAY short of expectations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Falling apart, 30 Sep 2012
Kelbys book is up to his usual standard in that it's a first class guide to photoshop cs6. My only concern with this book is unlike its previous version for cs5 and. Cs4 the binding is suspect. I am now on my third copy of te book the first the spine was creased horizontallly looking as though someone had tried to tear it in two. Replaced by amazon straight away. The second book the pages fell out enblock so I had 2 books one with a cover one without. Again replaced by amazon by return. To date my third copy of this book has remained in one piece. Buyers beware check the binding as soon as you get it. The book is great but the cover and binding lets it down hence. The 3 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Kelby does it again., 13 April 2013
Grus Grus (Leamington Spa, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a book that enables the reader to get to know the software either by starting on page one and progressing through the book or starting within the book where a subject heading meets ones requirement. It is this latter facility that I find most useful. One does not have to memorise the layout of a screen shot in the book, it will be repeated every time one has to use that example, usually with a red circle around the button which has to be clicked.The book is filled with hints and tips which makes the use of Lightroom 4 a very speedy process when dealing with hundreds of images taken at an assignment. It is only rarely that one has to use Photoshop, but when you do it is a click to move the image you are working on into that software and back again as a processed duplicate. Then when you want to create a book of your images, the whole editing and placement of your photographs together with pages of text if you need them can be done in the Book Module before transmitting them to the internet printer, all effectively explained by Scott Kelby

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent guide by the author, 19 Aug 2013
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Scott Kelby IMHO has produced the best and most user friendly Photoshop and related books that I have been reading for over 10 years. This book in its Kindle format is no exception. OK so the images are just about viewable but in reality it is the text that is more important. If like me you are transitioning from Elements or another product to Photoshop CS6 then I am sure this book will be just right for you. I have many years experience with earlier versions of Photoshop but stopped using it about 5 years ago. There have been so many changes that it was definitely worthwhile referring back to Mr Kelby to get a knowledge top up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 4 April 2013
Would highly recommend this book for any one that wants to enhance their skills in Photoshop. Scott Kelby is one of the worlds best in Photoshop, and he shares his vast knowledge in this book. Excellent service from seller also. Very please with the product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor build, 7 Feb 2013
Within one day the spine had broken. The replacement is still holding together, just.
Content clear and concise. Good book spoilt by poor build.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Content, Disgraceful Construction, 12 Dec 2012
Mr AA Underwood (Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A superb book. Well written, entertaining and just so useful for the photographer who wants to make their images really sparkle. However, and this is a big however. As has been the case for other reviewers, my copy fell completely to bits on the first use. This is just not good enough for a book which is approaching 30. As I refer to this book (and previous additions) so frequently to remind me how to make image adjustments and carry out the odd fix, I've ordered a new copy. This time though, Amazon will be getting it back and back and back until I get a decent copy.