on 6 September 2012
I agree with all of the previous positive comments about this product. My one disappointment/puzzlement is about the recording facility. It can record from usb/sd/cd/radio/aux input, and an alarm can be set to turn on the radio/usb/sd/cd. Why oh why can't the unit be set to record automatically from radio to sd/usb at a set time?
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Three years ago I bought Roberts MP53 Sound 53 CD/DAB/FM Digital Sound System with Dock for iPod-Blackwhich is still a much used music machine. This one I am using in the bedroom. It was one of the few rooms in the house without a good quality sound system. The advantage of the SOUND 200 model over the mp53 is that all the controls are on the top as well as on the remote. The mp53 is great in a living room where remotes are used but by the side of the bed the controls on the top are needed. The controls are easy to use and easy to find. The large on/off/volume button very necessary for first thing in a morning if it comes on too loud. The picture does not do it justice, the silver controls on the top of the unit do not spoil the look at all. The rest of it is beautiful shiny, piano black. It will play dab/fm/cd/ipod/usb/sd card. I use the dab and the ipod dock. Dab was very easy to set up, plug it in and it automatically searches for all stations in your area. You can set the alarm (or two if you want) to come on to play anything you have connected. You can also set the volume independently to your normal listening volume. A wonderful compact sound system. The only disadvantage being I am finding it more difficult to get up in a morning because I want to stay and listen to it!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am not technically illiterate, but I am definitely challenged, so it is important that any electronic equipment I acquire has a good manual. It has to be clear, concise, unambiguous and with good pictures or I am lost. The Roberts Sound 200 Digital Sound System with CD/DAB/FM/USB/SD has an excellent manual divided into clear discrete sections for each function, so setting up the equipment and trialling it was relatively easy.

Does it do everything it says? Yes, and it warns you where difficulties may occur such as not accepting all USBs, just flash drives. This meant when it refused to read the first USB I tried, I didn't panic, I just tried a different one which did work. (I have no idea how to differentiate between USBs.)

Tuning and presetting the DAB and FM radios was easy, though a light hand is required on the remote control. It has coped with all the CDs I have tried, both bought and home burnt and I have played about with the equaliser on both pop and classical music successfully.

I have not tried out the SD function because I don't have any. Nor have I been able to find any output that supports the DRC function. Everything else I have tried and found no fault.

There are two niggles - one specific to this machine and one general to most electronic goods. The specific is the cover to the Ipod dock which is a silly little bit of plastic not attached to the machine in any way and I know that it will be lost within a couple of weeks. The general is what to do with all the bits that come with these machines. This has a remote control, a spanner and a spare wire aerial, all of which I am certain will have disappeared by the time they are needed. Couldn't some clever designer engineer some sort of pouch, or at the very least magnetise them as Dyson has done with the remote control on his fan?

I have left the most important thing till last. How does it sound? Rich and beautiful, with lots of depth and colour to the sound. This is an excellent piece of kit.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I feel quite guilty as i visited a quite pricey but very nice independent music system shop. The assistant was very knowledgeable and showed me a great many different systems taking the time to play music in each and every one. As soon as i heard this Roberts system i knew that it was what i wanted, but they had it up for £300 - which i thought was quite reasonable actually. I then looked online and found it for £240 on Amazon (P&P free) so i ordered it straight away. It arrived quickly and i have spent a lot of time playing music from CD, radio (good DAB signal too) and iPod on it. The sound is great in our living room which is quite large (5.7m x 5.7m) and easy to control either from the system or the small remote control. I like the fact that i can play all my old CDs (so many systems are now omitting that option) and also i can record them through the system onto an SD card placed out of sight in the back. All in all i am really very happy with this purchase.
on 6 February 2013
This is an excellent radio both DAB and FM. It can handle all the modern modes, iPods, CDs, etc in a small package. It does it effectively with a proviso, the stereo effect is not that strong but hey what can you expect with two speakers practically together. It comes with a built in telescopic rod aerial. It your reception is marginal and you want to plug in an external aerial, be aware, the aerial socket is a F type. You will need an adapter to plug in that Belling Lee co-ax cable. A minor issue may be manifesting itself. Tuning down in DAB the unit sometimes changes to FM. I suspect a sight problem with the underlying circuit board which carrys the switches on the top. Something I will have to watch. Otherwise a splendid purchase.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Recently I bought a USB for my wife so that she could save all her music on it and listen to it in the car. And she was over the moon as that decluttered her car - no CDs to carry.

However, she also wanted to listen to all the same songs from her USB stick at home. And her laptop just didn't do justice to the Aerosmith and Meatloaf rock songs.

I searched and found the Roberts Sound 200.

This system plays everything we own - iPhone, iPod, USB stick and has an amazing DAB digital radio. It can also play CDs and has an audio in socket. For iPhone 5, you will probably need an adapter.

Sound quality is amazing. Very clear.

The system has a remote so you can sit on the sofa and control all features.

I would definitely recommend this product.

It is more expensive compared to some of the other products. However, it is well worth it. The build quality is very robust. And the sound quality is amazing!
on 27 January 2013
Originally I was going to purchase a Bose Wave system for my lounge because I did not want wires and speakers all over the place, however, after reading reviews about the Roberts Sound 200 I went to a local Roberts dealer to see and listen to the actual product. It looked and sounded good even in the dealers shop. The dealer would not move on his asking price so I order the system through Amazon for £30 less.
The Roberts Sound 200 is an excellent product, it costs about half the price of a Bose Wave system and in my opinion it is just as good, if not better.
It looks good and sounds excellent.
Following the manufactures instructions I found it easy to set up the DAB radio which was childs play to set up.
I have used the Roberts Sound 200 daily for over 2 weeks, using both dab radio and cd. and the sound quality is excellent, I just don't know how such a smart and fairly compact unit can produce such a rich sound quality. I don't think anyone buying this item would be disappointed with its quality.

Having stated how good the Roberts system is, the big disappointment, and cause for concern was the delivery, to be precise the delivery company and not the seller. As stated I ordered the item through Amazon. The item was in stock and the expected delivery was 3-5 working days.

An email confirmation was received, followed by another stating it had been dispatched and would be with me Thursday 10th January 2013. I waited in all that day but no Roberts Sound 200 system arrived.

At this point I should say that I live in a rural location on the outskirts of a village, although a main dual carriageway does run close by. My road is a small cul de sac containing just 4 properties. My house number is 5, the house next door at number 3 is semi derilict having been empty for over 30 years. Anyone seeing the property would be left in no doubt about it being empty and uninhabited.

As stated the item did not arrive on the 10th. and the weather on that day was wet. About 3.30 p.m. the following day, Friday 11th January 2013, the gentleman who owns the empty house knocked at my door and handed me a very wet and soggy Amazon box with a delivery card from YODEL which had been pushed through the letter box of the empty house stating it was 'at back'. I was informed by the owner of the property that he had found the card behind the front door whilst visiting the property, found the box at the back of his property on the ground in this wet condition. The owner only visits the property from time to time, and had he not visited on this date the box could have been there for days or even weeks. The grounds of the empty property are wide open with no gates or fences and anyone walking or riding by could have just take the box and its contents.

When I opened the box I was expecting the contents to be ruined. Fortunately although the outer Amazon box and the extra packing were wet, the actual Roberts box was only damp. I opened the box and took out the Roberts Sound system expecting it to be ruined. Although it was damp the actual item appeared okay. I left the system to dry out at room temperature for a short while before seeing if it worked. To my surprise it worked okay and does not appear to have suffered any damage after its ordeal.

Whilst the product is great and Amazon normally good, the delivery company and in particular the delivery person leave a lot to be desired. The common sense of anyone who would leave an expensive electrical item on the ground in the rain behind an empty property is questionable. The use of this delivery company must also be brought into question.
on 17 December 2013
Based on the positive reviews on here, I bought one of these (not from Amazon - found it cheaper elsewhere) to replace an ageing Pure Legato micro system whose CD player had given up the ghost. Sadly I am sorely disappointed by the sound quality of the Roberts. Now, I'm no audiophile, and I didn't think I was that fussy about audio, but this unit sounds very tinny to me and lacks mid-range. There is plenty of bass available, but no amount of fiddling with the tone controls or equaliser presets can produce a sound I'm satisfied with. The old Pure sounded miles better (although admittedly it had separate speakers, albeit small). I don't expect miracles from an all-in-one system, but I at least expect an acceptable sound that I am comfortable listening to. The sound from the Roberts Sound 200 is dominated by tinny treble and dull bass. I subsequently listened to a Ruark 4i side by side in John Lewis (which admittedly is double the price) and the difference is like night and day. The Ruark puts out a beautiful rich rounded tone, whereas the Roberts sounds like a glorified clock radio. I would rate this as 3 stars based on the sound quality, but another issue I had is that the unit randomly turns itself off when switching channels using the remote - so I am knocking off an extra star for that. I will probably be returning the Roberts tomorrow and shelling out the extra for a Ruark.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Starting with the brand, Roberts is probably one of the most trusted names in radio, producing products with exceptional quality and indeed durability, (based on other Roberts products I own).

Other reviews and the product spec covers the features, which are all straightforward and simple to use with reference to the very well written instructions.

So why only 3 stars.

1. The unit is large, and is perhaps unnecessarily bulky

2. The SD slot, USB pen drive slot, headphone socket are at the back of the unit, so if it is positioned nicely say at the top of a bookcase, this involves moving the unit every time you need access. Why do manufacturers do this, they are just not thinking about the end user.

3. WiFi radio, I have ROberts WiFi radio and with all of the other features of this unit I would have expected this feature to be included.

4. The sound is rich, clear and very good, however it is not quite as good as my Bose sound docks, and at this price again I am expecting very high standards.

5. As others have commented the dock requires removing a piece of plastic, whith a little thought this could slide or even be motorised.

However special mention must be made of the very well thought out remote control, which is landscape format, and is a joy to use.

Other than those grumbles, (and rich praise for the remote control (which have on balance cost this review 2 stars) this is an awesome piece of kit from one of the most respected names in the industry, it is very good, but my grumble is it could have been truly great with just a little bit more thought.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Talk about Plug'n'Play, everything about this music system is so easy to use whether using the controls on the top of the machine or the remote (which can do everything the unit buttons can do except eject a CD). It plays CD's (both normal and MP3/WMA), includes a DAB and FM radio will accept music files (MP3/WMA) on a USB stick or SD card and has a dock for iPhone/iPod (which, incidentally, is reinforced so doesn't need a unit specific holder in place which, in the case of other units, can be a pain if one uses more than one type of iPod/iPhone music player). There is also a socket on the back for inputting music from any other player type that can output via a mini stereo jack plug as well as an earphone socket.

The USB and SD points can be used to record from CD and there's an alarm to enable you to wake to iPod/CD/SD/USB/ radio or buzzer

The sound reproduction is excellent and, although there are a number of EQ presets together with the ability to alter the bass and treble independently, the default setting of "flat" is a misnomer as it is anything but flat. It is, in fact, a very good general setting for everyday listening. The quality of what comes out of the speakers is everything one has come to expect of the Roberts name. To be honest, I find it hard to be negative about any facet of this system but, if I was to be very finicky, I would say that the cover for the iPod/iPhone connection could be flip-up rather than remove (and lose??)

I play guitar and piano and spend hours and hours using Logic Pro 9 on my Mac creating and arranging tracks that are then used as the backing for my recordings. Once recorded I import them into iTunes and listen intently. I am very, very critical of my own work and, want to hear every nuance of the piece I have recorded. This system gives me exactly what I want. - Brilliant!!

There's no getting away from it, this is a top rate system with plenty of room filling volume available.

Recommended and 5 star award