NIX X08D reviewed.

This was purchased as a present for someone who doesn't have access to internet and therefore doesn't get to see many photos friends and family post online.

It's very easy to setup, just pop an SD card or USB stick loaded with photos in and the frame immediately recognized the files and displayed them.

Pictures look great, really crisp and clear. Menu gives you a number of options, the most useful one being the photo display time. By default photos changed every 3 seconds, which was fine when testing it, but felt far too quick. For general use having it change once an hour felt about right.

Great digital photo frame, certainly makes for a brilliant present for those who want to see the photo on something other than a PC/tablet/mobile and actually display them, like we used to.
0Comment|282 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2012
Well we bought two of these. One works fine and must say we're very pleased with the product. Motion detection works really well and the picture quality seems really good.

Unfortunately the second is faulty and after displaying around 5-6 photos now no longer powers up. A word or warning to potential customers - we purchased this from CT Nix (who delivered promptly), but the order was "fulfilled by Amazon". As a result, Amazon are only offering us a refund on the item, not a replacement. Given that the price for the item has risen from £30 to £50, if we want to replace the item (which we do as it was a gift for someone else) we would end up £20 out of pocket. This even though the seller clearly still has stock of the item and could send out a replacement. Will be trying our luck with the manufacturers to see if they can do anything instead.

A case of caveat emptor, but really a bit rubbish of Amazon really!

UPDATE 19/09/12 - Just to say I've been in touch with the manufacturers (who are actually the sellers via Amazon) and have to say that their customer service has been excellent. Replacement frame sent out straight away with no quibble, and return costs for the faulty one refunded. The icing on the cake is that they've even offered to refund me the full cost of one of the frames by way of apology. Still miffed at Amazon's attitude (who said there was no point in contacting the seller directly), but a thumbs up for CT. New frame working fine and now happily installed at my parents-in-law's.
22 comments|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2012
Just received this today. Have played around with it. Picture quality/resolution is pretty good. The frame surround is cheap looking, which spoils the look. It certainly doesn't look like a traditional picture frame!! Plus, if you're using a usb stick rather than a sd card it sticks out the side. Poor design.

As with many of these types of products, they can't quite get the software right. The menus are easy enough to follow, but what's driving me nuts with it is that the 'random' photo sequence doesn't seem to work. It was working once, but now it isn't!! It's probably the way I've organised my photos/folders on the usb stick. But honestly, it shouldn't be this difficult. It should JUST WORK!!!

I bought this for £29.99. I notice it's now gone up to £49.99. At my price I think it's worth it, even though it looks cheap. At the new price I would possibly think twice.

UPDATE 7/9/12 - I've been in contact with Nix (very helpful service via email) and have now resolved my problems with the random photo sequence. Apparently it's not designed to be purely random but instead it randomly chooses a date, then shows a few photos from that date, before moving on to another date. I'm not sure yet, but this actually might be quite a good way of displaying the photos, rather than showing them in a completely random order. It's also affected by the way you organise your photo folders on the memory card/stick. All a bit confusing. No information on this in the manual.

I've noticed since using the frame for a while now that the viewing angle is not brilliant. But, I guess from a budget frame like this what more would I expect.

So, overall, not bad for £30. If I had to pay £50 I would look at other models/makes first.
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2012
We got this photo frame yesterday. We were a bit nervous about buying this model over the X08C because no one else had reviewed this model and the older model was still being sold for around twice the price. Nothing on the manufacturers website indicated the D has lost any features since the update.

The instructions are very easy to follow and we placed some pictures on a USB stick for testing (around 2gb worth). The frame recognised them instantly and after a pause of about 5 seconds started playing the pictures in a slide show. Our camera is 12 megapixels but the photo size doesn't cause any problems. The screen shows the photos clearly enough. We haven't had a frame before so cannot compare to anything but there are plenty of options for slide shows and videos if you want to fiddle. It will also play music along with the slide show but I haven't tried this yet.

The main feature for us, is the auto detection and this works well. You can set the time intervals yourself and it picks you up immediately. We positioned the frame about 3m from our door and the frame 'saw' us as we entered. The frame doesn't appear to lag to the display of the first picture, it is quiet immediate.

Would recommend this product at £29.99 but not sure it would be worth the older model price of £60. If it had been any more expensive we wouldn't have given it 5 stars because it is a little bit plasticy to cost any more.

Hope this helps.
44 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2014
In our family we have had 3 of these now. All of them have suddenly broken within 12-18 months. Do not buy - poor build quality
on 1 December 2012
Great picture quality, easy to use, great features. Only criticism would be the remote is a bit fiddly and has to be directly in front of the sensor to work.

Very please with this purchase.
on 16 February 2015
My wife purchased one or your digital photo frames, via Amazon, in November 2014, as a Christmas present for my mother.
The frame was unwrapped and I set it up on Boxing Day with a selection of photographs on a USB device. It immediately operated, seemingly, perfectly. However, I noticed that my portable FM radio had a very loud hum on all but very strong stations. The radio was positioned about 4 ft away from the photo frame; the other side of a cavity breezeblock wall. I relocated the photo frame to the other side of the room (now approximately 15 ft away from my radio, but the hum persisted. We tried different radios and all exhibited the hum when the photo frame was switched on. Regrettably, we have had to remove the photo frame from my mother.
I contacted Nix Customer Support and was told "the best solution is to make sure to close/turn the radio off or move it farther from the frame if you intend to keep the frame turned on".
So, we returned the frame to Amazon and received a very prompt refund.
on 4 February 2015
Bought this as a present and overall am pretty please with it so will start with the pros:

- easy to set up
- easy to add picture
- nice transition option so that photos don't look dull
- sensor works quite well (better than I thought)

The few things that disappointed me are:

- image quality is OK. I've tried loading up HD images and they still look quite blurry like watching them on a mobile phone around 2008
- no alarm clock. I know this might not be very important to some people but there's a calendar but no alarm clock. Given its price you would think they could at least offer that
- I understand that having a touch screen device would increase the price however the buttons and navigation is quite fiddly at first and even when you get used to it it still doesn't make much sense

Overall it's not a bad product but I'm not sure what the competitive advantage compared to other frames (personally the sensor is just a small gimmick I would rather have more small features)
on 16 September 2012
Its £30 cheaper that X08C, but you don't get any internal memory or copy features, i.e. if you wanted to copy off usb pen to sd card. The card is just about hidden at the side, but a usb pen would stick out at the side.
Colours are very good and the viewing angles are excellent. We have it on the coffee table and it looks great from all over the front room.

Very good value for money.

Cheers

GC
on 30 April 2015
Really wanted this to be good but had nagging feeling in back of my mind. Wish I'd listened to it. The picture quality is good which is a great positive but every time I need to get into the settings its a complete pain in the rear end. Pushing a button on the remote control does something after about 10 second so constantly waiting for it to catch up (controls on the back not much better). User interface not at all intuitive and keep having problems with it only being able to see a small proportion of the pictures I've put on it. Resized all the pictures to 800by600 prior to putting on a new usb pen drive but it still only seems to find some of them (over 5000 on there but only sees about 2000.

If I can eventually get this set up properly for my mother then it will be fine (Hu Motion works well) but am running out of patience and resisting the urge to lob it out of the window. I'm fairly good with computers but this things a nightmare. Not worth the money.
review image