4.0 out of 5 stars Small and inexpensive - ideal for today's general PC needs
Published on 7 April 2013 by Joescamera

2.0 out of 5 stars Good size, poor pc
Firstly, the delivery time was completely wrong. I was told it would come a certain day, so had to take the day off work, and it didn't come until the day after which was very frustrating.
The pc itself is a very good size, fits on my desk as if it were an external hard drive.
However, performance wise it is not very fast, and blue screens far too often, as it...
Published 21 months ago by Steven Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and inexpensive - ideal for today's general PC needs, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Lenovo Q180 Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) Desktop PC - Black (Intel Atom D2550 1.86GHz, 4Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, AMD Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) (Personal Computers)
Ever since Microsoft launched Windows 8, I knew it wasn't for me - and the future of computing has changed (almost overnight, it seems). And far from offering more choice, with Windows 8 came "either use it or don't". No cheaper, Windows 7 machines to be found on shop floors and increasingly hard to find a good spec machine running the better operating system (imho).

I'd put off this purchase for awhile, as I'd become accustomed to always wanting the latest and greatest specs in terms of hardware; with Intel i5 or i7 processors, with 8-16Gb of RAM as standard - obviously NOT what this machine offered. But the introduction of new computing technologies in terms of tablets and smartphones have shown that they can do as much (and in some cases more) than 'traditional' PCs - with much, much lower specs. And so I re-evaluated my own computing needs, coupled with the drop in price for this unit and took a gamble.

It paid off. :0)

Don't fall into my trap that having too much power is what's required. It isn't. I can comfortably open all the same programs/packages I used previously, including quite heavy Photoshop work. I love the size of this device; it is much smaller than I imagined (even after reading other reviews about dimensions) - to see it in action is impressive. I have it hooked it to my 32" TV, which I use as a monitor and graphics are fine. The system boots much faster than my outgoing Windows Vista machine and has handled everything I did on that with ease. It is very quiet, but not silent. There are plenty of ports, and I would recommend this to anyone, but I believe its no longer available as there is a new model - the Q190, which unfortunately runs Win 8. Yes - I know in theory you can downgrade, but then you'd need to factor the additional licence costs.

The only reason I dropped a star is it struggles to play / stream movies from lovefilm; whether that's my screen's 1920x1080p resolution or the low graphic capability of the device, I'm not sure - but that's not the main reason I bought the Q180, and if I have the need/requirement, I am in the position of switching on my noisy, Vista Dell PC for awhile.

This is most likely to be my last MS Windows PC, as the company is set on pushing its touchscreen OS on devices which are not touch. Shame; for more than 20 years they had me, but now I am looking at all available alternatives. Hopefully not for the next few years though as this PC should last the 2-3 year cycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice!, 6 Nov. 2012
Tiny, fast enough as HTPC (even if it struggles a bit when streaming in 1080 - which might depend however on my wireless network and on the very poor performance of the old nettop I'm using in bed).
Being the PC not fan-less... guess what? you can hear the fan. Still, only because you know it is there. Really quiet. Surprinsingly quiet!
Even if not advertised, mine was delivered with the remote keyboard N5902. If you think you can use it to chat or write an e-mail... forget it! I'm using it, however, sitting on the couch in front of the TV, to write this review. And for surfing or for XBMC it's just fine.
HDMI cable not included. You will need a real keyboard with the function keys if you want to access the BIOS.
What I miss? Maybe just the possibility to buy it either without Windows or with a Windows version of my choice (it comes in fact with Win Home).

All in all, really a nice product. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A silent PCM, 25 July 2013
I love this computer it is silent and unobtrusive and looks really innovative.
It takes up very little room and is exactly what I wanted for using a few select web sites .

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 29 Mar. 2013
Love it ... So far so good. Great bit of kit. Easy to set up. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim PC Big results, 18 Mar. 2013
S. Shuster (London) - See all my reviews
The Lenovo came in such a small box I thought they hadn't sent me it. Once it was out of the box it was easy to set-up. An issue with the security software (not the PC's fault) was solved quickly and helpfully by McAfee. I linked the PC to a new HD monitor which shows off the PC's graphs to great effect. If you are using this machine for surfing web or games / watching films etc this is the perfect machine. If you want to do anything more I'd do what I did and get a remote keyboard & mouse as the device that comes with the PC isn't great for any type of serious work. This machine has given great results for the small price it cost, it even has a simple way to upgrade to a BlueRay disc player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 18 Mar. 2013
Mr. Phillip Claremont (Jersey C.I.) - See all my reviews
EXCELLENT, very clever way of doing what everybody should do instead of having a great big tower.Give me Windows 7 over 8 any time

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny footprint, 17 Feb. 2013
Very pleased with this item it's tiny comes with remote type keyboard that I found hard to use for long periods of time so had to purchase USB keyboard and mouse but other than that great

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little pc, 27 Jan. 2013
whitestar27 (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I have connected it to my tv - boots up and runs really quickly. I have upgraded it to windows 8 with no problems (although I had to reinstall the graphics driver the process takes you through this). Good for listening to music although 5.1 surround decoding through the optical out is a bit patchy for itunes playback,

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 18 Jan. 2013
Susan Duncan "Bat" (Edinburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having decided to get rid of a 12 year old very bulky tower desk top I was very surprised to see these small Lenovos on the web when I went hunting for a replacement.
This machine is ideal for someone like me who wants something compact, does not game, has a blue ray player already, has no plans to use this to stream anything beyond some youtube and does not have 200GB of photos to store. The days of buying the computer with the fastest processor and biggest memory are over, it's horses for courses. For £300 this is value for money and looks great. It does not boot up as fast as my Samsung laptop - but I paid a premium for that, and the Lenovo is fast enough.
It came straight out of the box, I plugged it into my peripherals and it worked. Someone has pointed out the integrated speakers did not work - I don't know if my model has these or not but I have just unsuccessfully tried to play an audio CD and there was no sound - until I plugged my head phones in - but then according to the list of devices installed all there is is a jack at the back to which an audio device can be attached. Frankly I don't care this machine to use a cliche does what it says on the box and does it at a very reasonable price

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 12 Jan. 2013
I use the Lenovo to play music and have it connected to the hi-fi via a dac and it does everything I want it to do so glad its got windows 7 and not 8 heard a lot of bad things about 8. Its a fantastic compact desk top that I would recommend to anyone