5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the very first phone my parents had!
Looking for a new phone to suit the decor of a newly decorated bedroom I stumbled upon this when checking out a large range of phones, offered by Amazon, and couldn't resist getting it.

Published 22 months ago by Clive

3.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with a few networks
A few users note an 'outgoing call' fault on this telephone, I checked around and was advised that it works on a 'pulse dialling' system that is not compatable with a few networks, Virgin Media is one. I dont know if there is anyway around this. I will let you know if there is.
Published 1 month ago by Garry1963

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the very first phone my parents had!, 3 Jun. 2013

Who would have thought that having to enter each number by rotating a dial could be such a novelty in todays 'push-button world'. The phone works perfectly with a traditional ringtone and choosing the Ivory colour transports me back 45years to the very first phone my parents had.

I'm very pleased with my purchase, not just in the quality of the product but also its very reasonable price. I have no reservations recommending this to any younger person who is striving for that 'retro' look to their home, or to those who are a good deal older and simply wanting to enjoy a little nostalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good a copy of the original GPO 746 as you'll find., 30 Mar. 2015
Mr. M. Kay (England) - See all my reviews
Very pleased with this. The build quality is good and it feels very much like the original. It is slightly lighter but mine does not move at all when you are dialling and the wire to the handset is long enough for it not to lift any corners in use (that will depend on how high your table is off the floor, but the length is much the same as they used to be, it is not shorter I don't think). The feel of the dial is slightly different than they were but I'm sure it has to be to work with the modern exchange. The dial returns to the start point much quicker than they did - but that speeds up dialling which can't be a bad thing - the action is positive and definite though. The ringer is loud enough, but slightly quieter than they were, and with a similar sound, but not exactly the same as the original. It is a good copy. The sound quality from the earpiece and the microphone is much better than modern phones - very clear and of a good volume. I am well pleased with this and would definitely recommend one if you like retro.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, 4 May 2013
The phone looks awesome! However, I remember a loud brrrrng ring & this comes with a high pitched ting that I cannot hear upstairs (phone is in the hall). Also, it is not as heavy as the originals so needs 2 hands for dialling (1 to hold the base unit steady while you dial). Haven't used it much but hubby says it sounds quiet. However, I wanted it to look good and it does just that :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase in a long time, 6 Jan. 2013
This is an excellent phone I have had many compliments from friends and family. If you are considering the phone just buy it you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, I love it., 8 April 2015
This review is from: Protelx GPO 746 Rotary Telephone - Black (Electronics)
Awesome phone, it has the right "heft" to it and feels substantial. I'm using it with an OBi202 SIP adaptor (also bought on Amazon) to allow me to use this phone with our office phone system. Works great, all I have to do is try to memorise transfer codes as there's (obviously) no soft-buttons that can be programmed.

Possibly I should have bought the RED one to make it really look like the Operations Hot Line Emergency phone, but I think black is just "classic".

There's something vaguely satisfying in using an actual dial and dragging a finger around to make calls.

I would recommend this phone to anyone, well, except the people in my office, as they'll then want one and that would be no fun! :)

Only tiny criticism is that in the original period phones the centre of the dial lifted out and had a little card for writing the phone number on, this one has a fixed "vinyl" centre that looks like anything written on it may be prone to rubbing off. Likely won't affect the use in any way, shape, or form, but for someone that grew up when these were omni-present it was something I noticed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, 6 Mar. 2013
Robin "Rob37n" (Hull, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can't help picking it up every time I walk past it and saying something daft in the style of Reggie Perrin. I love the phone, it's a replica in the style of the originals, but doesn't suffer for that, although it's lighter than I remember the originals phones. I hate the modern phones, funny as in everything else I am a technophile, but this phone harks back to better days, and sits magnificently on the hallway table just as a telephone should!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound and weight, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Protelx GPO 746 Rotary Telephone - Black (Electronics)
Looks lovely.Good sound and weight. Had to send the first one back as after a couple of weeks there was a loud buzz on the line..which started as a small buzz and grew..now we have another small buzz on the replacement phone,such a shame as its looks great and the ring is very retro. Fingers crossed it doesn't get worse.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with a few networks, 20 Feb. 2015

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Protelx GPO 746 Rotary Telephone - Black (Electronics)
This item is just what I expected it to be so I am very satisfied with it. Because it is all plastic it does miss that specific sound the old rotary phones were making when you dial a number but it's still a nice item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like the original, 4 April 2013
I have the original GPO 746 phone but it interferes with my WIFI when connected but is beautiful.

This 'thing', doesn't have the same phone handle, the cradle is different and the facia plate and lettering are nothing like the original. It's not even a decent copy
All the that's been done to sell this thing, is get hold of a plastic replica and tie a GPO 746 label to it.
Doesn't even sound like the original

Protelx GPO 746 Rotary Telephone - Black