Denon AH-W150 Bluetooth Fitness Sports In-Ear Headphones - Yellow
Colour Name: YellowChange
Price:£57.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 28 September 2014
I bought these headphones after a long deliberation over various Bluetooth headsets, the market is after all quite crowded now. Eventually I decided to go with Denon as I have had a few of their products in the past and have found they lived up to their reputation for quality of sound.
When the headset arrived I was happy with the design, I chose the blue headset and they do look great, admittedly they were also easy to pair to my iPhone.
Unfortunately the sound quality is very poor, and not up to Denon standards, my last set by plantronics which were cheaper produced a much better sound. I use these headphones at the gym and when out running as I would imagine most prospective buyers will but I can barely hear my music over the traffic let alone the music at the gym! I have tried every set of earbuds to see if they make a difference but they do not have any effect on sound quality.
Looking back I can see why Amazon are selling these at a massive discount however at £50 to £85 depending on the colour these are not even good value at the lower price in my opinion.
on 20 March 2015
Okay, they're plastic and don't have that Denon build quality, anyone who knows audio would also realise beforehand that Bluetooth isn't going to give you great sound quality and I agree they are the size of hearing aids...but!

They're sub sixty pounds on amazon, wireless and as someone who really doesn't like earbuds, as they don't ever fit well or stay in, they're actually okay. For working out the low frequencies are good for heavy beats and even on my dodgy ears they stay in place relatively well. For that price if it lasts the length of the warranty period I'm okay with it, else I'll replace them.

In short they're okay.
on 6 April 2015
Opinions seem to be split on this bit of kit. I took a gamble on these as my previous "sport" headphones (old style with lead), and they were exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a runner/jogger and currently have a standard iPhone 5. When running I have a waist-band, gels and iPhone/iPod storage. So my phone is always and waist height. I'm 6ft.

The main complaint about these seems to be connectivity. I've used these for several runs and in the gym. I've only experienced poor connectivity on one occasion. This was in the gym while I was doing crunches and my phone was to the front. I crunched, and the connection cut in and out. I assume this was because my torso interrupted the signal.

While running I've had no issues. The occasional temporary dropout but nothing significant enough to annoy or distract from the task at hand.

Sound quality is great and loud enough to block out the noise and motivate, but not so loud that you get hit by a bus.

I've also found that if you play the music from your phone/device while turning your headphones on you get a stronger connection.

Comfortable, light-weight, and come with several different sized buds and protective carry case.

In summary of you can get a better pair of wireless sport headphones for the same price or less buy them. This is a great bit of kit. I'll definitely be getting a pair of the AH-W200's.
on 12 January 2013
Had these for about a month now and was almost put off by the couple of bad reviews on here but so far they have been awesome!

I use them in the gym and the only issue being me leaving my iPhone in random places as I'm walking away not realising!!!

Sound quality is very good, batter life is good - ran a half marathon outdoors with them and plenty if juice left!

These might be on the pricier side but I haven't found anything similar that I've been as happy with - its only taken 8 years!

As a warning to people buying Bluetooth headphones for the first time (so applies to ALL BT headphones) - sometimes when you go running and put the phone in your pouch / pocket and the phone is covered up by too much clothing or too far out of sight of the headphones then it can cut out. This device so far has only done that a couple of times so very pleased!
on 30 January 2014
I have now had 2 pairs of these headphones and both have been returned after failing with a couple of uses. The first pair I used once and then they would not charge not a peep from them, they had charged the first time been used once and that was it.

So I had a second pair and they have lasted for two uses and then what I have noticed is the right headphone has a background noise. It's a bit like a radio not quite tuned in with beeps and static in the background. The interesting thing is this affects it both switched on and switched off. You would think turning it off would sort things out but it just has the same noise.

So this is a warning avoid these headphones, not sure why Denon have kept selling them and it could explain why they have become so cheap compared to the list price. The customer service department when I just emailed them as a response said the following. Given how many issues are out there now I look I can't believe this has not taken place before. It's back to the wired headset for me or speakers.

Thank you for your inquiry, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these problems. This is certainly not the expected behaviour of these headphones. Unfortunately this is not something that has been reported as a known issue I am afraid, it sounds very much like the receiver circuitry on the headphones has malfunctioned.

At this point we would advise to get the unit returned via your authorised dealer so this can be taken care of accordingly for you

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this matter.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 January 2015
One of the worst Amazon purchases I've ever made. I returned this item a few days later and bought the Plantronics Backbeat FIT which were absolutely amazing.

Material quality: Poor - the headset split open on the top after two days. It looks like it was simply glued together.
User-friendliness- Very poor: the volume buttons are impossible to use especially when running. The beeping system to alert if the set is on/off connected/disconnected difficult to understand.
Comfort: poor. Very difficult to put on.
on 19 December 2012
Over the last couple of years in an attempt to get truly wireless while running or in the gym I have made several purchases of Bluetooth 'Sports' headsets (Jaybird, Sennheiser, Motorola, Jabra) . I bought the Denon AH-W150 and was enthusiastic that these would overcome many of the issues I had with previous headsets (comfort, sweat resistance, sound quality, Bluetooth issues, etc).

Admittedly the Denon's sounded great but the moment I took them outside for a run it became apparent that they have the poorest quality Bluetooth reception of any headset I have tested. Despite trying various upper body position for my iPhone 5 the only reliable way to maintain a Bluetooth connection is to physically hold the phone in your hand 6 inches away from the right hand ear piece. The reception is so sensitive that with the phone in a pocket on your jacket its connection could be effected by whether the phone is facing in/out or orientated up/down or even in its case.

This is a real shame as I think some good effort has gone into the actual sound quality and construction of the headsets, but unfortunately if it can't hold a bluetooth connection then it is completely pointless.

Also, regularly when the headset loses connectivity you cannot get it back again unless you restart the headset, and the training app your using, and music player - not easy to do if you try to continue running! On a 1 hour run it happened 10 times and added almost 13 minutes to my normal run time!

Another issue I came across is that using the Denon sports app I was unable to pair it with my +ANT Bluetooth Heart rate strap even though it was paired fine with Endomondo and Runkeeper.

Sorry Denon this a complete fail and I am looking for my money back, especially since they the most expensive bluetooth sports headsets i have purchased to date.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 February 2015
The headphones are light, comfortable and sound great. They link to my iPhone 6 so easily and a battery status appears next to the Bluetooth symbol. They last ages between charges. The problem is my iPhone battery appears to deplete quickly. If I listen to an album, I seem to lose about 15% battery life. That's totally unscientific and could be other factors.
The left side push button actives Siri and receives / ends calls. I can hear callers perfectly but they have complained they can't hear me well. The right side button is play / pause / on / off. Sadly the volume controls are internal volume and do nothing to the iPhone's volume.
I've also successfully paired them with my iMac. They will accept one out at a time, so you have to impair and repair to do this.
There is an occasional click and millisecond pause during prolonged playback. I don't know if this is a Bluetooth signal issue or a synchronisation thing. It's barely noticeable and rare in my experience so far.
Only 4 star due to clicking, poor microphone quality and iPhone battery drain. Otherwise they're brilliant and exactly what I wanted for sport and general use. Highly recommend.
on 17 February 2015
I bought these headphones for use when running to avoid the minor hassle of connecting a cabled headphone to my iPhone. I've used them about 20 times and they have worked properly 5 times. The other times they cut in and out either right from the start or after a few miles into my run. When this happens they become useless and the only option is to shut them off and run without music or else listen to intermittent music like a skipping CD.
If my phone is held right next to them they work fine, but as soon as I move them away to put them in my shorts, jacket or running jumper pocket they are more likely than not to lose connection.
When they do work the sound is not great, but the lack of a cable makes up for this. I've stopped using them now and gone back to my cable headphones, as I just can't trust these not to cut out on me during a run. I'm fairly sure it's not my phone's Bluetooth that is at fault as it connects to a beats pill with no problems even with a wall in the way.
on 11 May 2014
Started hissing and then stopped working after a month of light gym use.

Great while they worked. Not sweat resistant

Amazon customer service is top notch
Immediate hassle free refund