5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, useful book with recipes that are simple to make
Published on 17 Sep 2012 by red0209

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
It is a great book for those who need some delicious recipes and it is pleasurable to read what Chef Ramsay wrote but after the amazing TV show I have waited more. It is the fault of the great show not the book.
Published 21 months ago by Gulácsi Eszter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, useful book with recipes that are simple to make, 17 Sep 2012
red0209 (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When buying cookery books, I think you have to look past who is writing them and actually judge the recipes for themselves. Obviously a celebrity name sells books, and I have bought a few of Gordon Ramsay's books before. Recipes from a 3 Star Chef Limited Edition for example was way beyond my level of skill with each dish requiring probably several hours of preparation, while Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food: More Than 100 Delicious, Super-Fast, and Easy Recipes featured much simpler recipes and was therefore far more useful to me. This latest book, to accompany the TV series currently being shown on Channel 4 in September 2012 (watch clips online via the Channel 4 website), features recipes that are relatively simple to make and offers bits of very good general advice. Regardless of whether this book was written by Gordon Ramsay or anyone else, I would rate it very highly. If you're highly skilled in the kitchen, you might regard this book as a little too simplistic perhaps (although everyone can always learn new things no matter how experienced you are), but for most people they will be able to pick up a few useful techniques and recipes. Like most Gordon Ramsay books, it guides you on basic equipment and utensils that you will need, as well as giving instructions on making simple, fundamental things.

One of the best features of this book for me is that it covers such a wide variety of dishes. A lot of cookbooks focus on one particular type of food, be it fish, meat, pastry or whatever else, but there is a wide enough variety of recipes here to keep most people happy I would think. There are well over 100 recipes in a pretty thick book. A slight downside is that not all of the recipes have accompanying photographs, which could be a problem if you're looking for visual vindication of what you're cooking, but the instructions are straightforward and easy to follow so it's not a big problem. The vast majority of recipes do have photographs. A lot of the recipes contain instructions on how to use herbs/spices/chillis in the best way to produce the most flavour, which is a key theme through the book. Therefore if you're looking for ways to cook food full of flavour using relatively simple techniques that may not be obvious, this is the biggest strength of this book and the main reason that I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gordon's best book to date............., 15 Sep 2012
IOWBOY - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course accompanies the televison series currently being shown on Channel Four each teatime, yes the program is a rip-off of the wonderful Jamie's 30-Minute Meals, but that doesn't really matter in my opinion.

At the time of writing this review the show has only been on for one week (five epsiodes) but it has already grabbed my attention and I fully intend to see it through to the end!

I've actually had the book about a fortnight now, so had already started using it before the show first televised.

It's a lovely big book, 320 pages to be exact, and it is full of beautifully photographed food and the odd shot of Gordon, good if that sort of thing rocks your gravy boat!

The book starts with an introduction to the basics of a kitchen and has some useful information on how to get the best out of Knifes, Pans, a Blowtorch, Digital Scales, Food Processors, Free-Standing or Stick Blenders, Ice Cream Makers, Mandolines, Microplane Zesters, a Pestle and Mortar, a Potato Ricer, Probe Thermometers, Sieves, Vegetable Peelers and Whisks; there is even a well written descripton of how best to cut an onion.

We then move on to the recipes, 123 to be exact, and they are split into themed chapters:

1. Classics with a twist - 13 recipes

6. Cooking in Advance - 12 recipes

7. Cooking for Crowds - 13 recipes

8. Baking - 13 recipes

9. Basic Skills - 9 recipes

The instructions are clear, concise and easy to follow; most have a beautifully photographed example of the final result you're aiming for, but unfortunately not all recipes have this and its a disappointment, albeit a relatively minor one.

We have already been pretty busy making some of the dishes, so far we've had the beautiful Stuffed Roast Chicken (with chirizo and cannellini beans), the amazing Slow-cooked fiery lamb (melt in the mouth, but REALLY hot), and my personal favourites, the Chilli beef lettuce wraps (these are one of the best things I have eaten for ages!).

This weekend we're trying the Fish Pie, and if all goes well my fiance will be baking the Lemon polenta cake at some point later on next week!

This book is primarily aimed at the day to day cook in my opinion, its style and content are realistic and achievable, and most of the recipes should cause no problems for anyone with average skills in the kitchen.

At the same time though I would say that this book would be a good start for a beginner, and also has enough inside to offer inspiration to the more experienced cook.

Overall a really good book, the best I've seen from Gordon Ramsey to date in fact, it has loads of really appealing recipes that will provide something new for your table but won't necessarily break the bank in the process!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's almost the same book, 11 Aug 2013
I'd like to mention that the ULTIMATE COOKERY COURSE and HOME COOKING books from Gordon Ramsay are almost the same book! The second book is in fact an adaptation for the US market.

This review is in fact NOT a review or an evaluation of the books. It's only showing the numerous but minor differences between them:
- the first book is the original book published for the UK market (august 2012), the other is an adpatation for the US (april 2013)
- their covers are slightly different but images, texts, page layout, recipes are EXACTLY identical. There is even a matching page to page
- the original uses metric measures (grams, millilitres, cm), the adaptation uses imperial measures (cups, ounces, pounds, inches). Both use tsp and tbsp for small quantities
- the original uses °Centigrade with gas level, the other °Fahrenheit: 200°C/Gas 6 becomes 400°F
- some ingredients are named/translated differently: double cream becomes heavy cream, caster sugar becomes sugar, spring onions become scallions, pak choi becomes bok choy, coriander becomes cilantro, kale becomes swiss chard, plain flour becomes all-purpose flour, fillet of beef becomes beef tenderloin, tenderstem broccoli becomes baby broccoli, chillies becomes chiles, cep mushrooms become porcini, demerara sugar becomes brown sugar, courgette becomes zucchini, cornflour becomes cornstarch, icing sugar becomes confectioner's sugar, bicarbonate of soda becomes baking soda, biscuits becomes cookies, pudding rice becomes short-grain white rice, etc.
- material is named/translated differently: roasting tray becomes roasting pan, cling film becomes plastic film, hob becomes stovetop, fish slice becomes fish spatula, square tin lined becomes square pan lined, proof paper becomes wax paper, tins become cans, muslin becomes cheese cloth, heavy-based pan becomes heavy-bottomed pan, griddle pan becomes grill pan, grill becomes broiler, etc.
- techniques are named/translated differently: fry becomes sauté, etc.
- also: flavoursome becomes flavorful, navarin of lamb becomes lamb stew, Arabic restaurants becomes middle Eastern restaurants, scum becomes foam, popular fish becomes overfish fish, etc.
- the converted quantities in the adaptation are approximative and not always well rounded: 400g asparagus becomes 1 lb, 50 mL sherry vinegar in a vinaigrette becomes 1/4 cup, and probably most conversions of ingredients in metric measurements to cups, etc.
- the adaptation brings sometimes nice but little corrections in the codification of the recipes
- the adaptation has more entries in its index
- etc.

If you ask me which version I prefer ? Not easy to say! Probably the original one with the exact original metric measures. But it's a matter of taste ...

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Ramsay book and I like it a lot., 31 Aug 2012
M. Page "Matthew" (Chesham England) - See all my reviews
I can't watch Gordon Ramsay on the tv, for a variety of reasons, but I'll be the first to admit the man can cook. I don't really like 'chefy' books as I find you look at them enthusiasticaly but don't cook from them very often. I like the Nigel Slater, Hugh Fearnly approach. Simple, quick, tasty. This is the first Ramsay book I have bought because that's what this is. As Ramsay says in the introduction this isn't a book of recipes which require you to refer to four other recipes just to make the ingredients you will need before you even start making the thing you want. I can see me picking this book up a lot. I made the first recipe last night, roast cod with lemon, walnut and parmesan crust, and it's exactly the kind of thing I'm after. This isn't a dinner party book, it's more an everyday book, and in that respect I would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 4 Nov 2012
This is the book I've been looking for. Great tips and techniques on how to cook simple and glorious dishes. I think it's worth every penny. Highly recommend this to anyone who wants to start cooking simple dishes with great flavor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple recipes with wow factor results, 4 Nov 2012
A comprehensive cookery book with easy to follow recipes, everyday ingredients and fantastic results. Suitable for beginners or accomplished cooks who would like to try new ideas. I highly recommend this book .

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent cook book, 19 May 2014
I am absolutely satisfied with this purchase. It is far better than i could have imagined it to be. What I really liked when I first opened this book was how it starts. Chef Ramsay explains that of course all people can cook, but the key is to be well prepared in your kitchen. 9 times out of 10 if something goes wrong it is because of the preparation you've made. He says that is not necessary to have an expensive equipment and many fancy things but good quality pans and knifes. He also teaches you to have a great sense of proportion and not to try to complicate things when you cook. As for the recipes I really love all of them. I just simply liked whatever he cooked every time I watched him on tv. His recipes suit me very much, they are simple and very tasty. I always loved his cooking, energy and accuracy that are also in this book.
Overall, a superb choice for everyone by a chef with a great experience and 15 michelin stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 July 2013
This Recipe book is great! It's packed full of brilliant ideas and hints. I never thought I would beable to cook anywhere near as great as this! Thank you Gordon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 28 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent!, 2 Oct 2012
So many cookbooks are so hard to make sense of! NOT this one, This is one of the best cookbooks out there with some Fab recipe's.

Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course