Of course I am an absolute fan of Downton Abbey, but what was it really like to be "below stairs" at the turn of the twentieth century?
Published on 22 Oct 2012 by True Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic reads.
I read this book after enjoying Aprons & Silver Spoons,I'm afraid it doesn't come any where near being as good.The first book paints a broad picture of life in service in the early part of the last century,this book doesn't ,in fact it gives hardly any information about the main characters workmates or employers,in short the book is all bones but very little meat.
Published 13 months ago by Love to read

4.0 out of 5 stars They Also Serve:The Real Life Story of My Time in Service as a Butler, 22 Oct 2012
Bob Sharpe has given us an insight with his own experiences below stairs. He shares his life in a light-hearted manner but makes the reader aware that it was hard work for little money. As a staff member you were there to work, but you were a nobody to those upstairs. The staff even had their hierarchy. Yet Mr Sharpe was ambitious and aimed to climb the 'below stairs' ladder and change his place of employment in order to better himself. Some of the things he was required to do were decidedly odd or perhaps they just seem so from today's perspective.

Some how Bob managed to enjoy his few hours off and eventually fell in love at first sight with a young woman who was also in service. His devotion to the woman who was to become his wife is evident to the end.

I found the story flowed easily and with only hints of drama, leaving much to the readers imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars AS if really happened by a real Butler, 12 Aug 2013
I greatly enjoyed this book, it was as if the gentleman was talking to me by the fireside.
so easy to read and enjoy. He really described how Life was and the attitudes people had, the writer
has good descriptive powers.
If only there were more books like this one, we could understand the past better.
the most enjoyable chapter was about the less well off gentleman he served in South London
who still lived in the grand manner.
I was sorry when I came to the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic reads., 23 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Life., 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: They Also Serve: The real life story of my time in service as a butler (Lives of Servants Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Bob shows us life in a bygone age, and some of the characters who he shared that life with. A very interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick easy read, 21 May 2014
Being a former butler I read the book with interest.
A lovely book to read. And my oh my, how things have changed in the domestic service!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 25 April 2014
This is a book that's hard to put down, I enjoyed it and the fact that it is true life as it was in the not so distant past makes it special.

3.0 out of 5 stars All in all worth reading but a bit tedious in the middle, 20 Nov 2013
BOOK RAVEN (NORTH OF ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
As my heading says, it's worth reading but some parts of the story were a bit tedious. Like all the other books in this series, it does however give a great insight into the real lives of servants "in the big house".

5.0 out of 5 stars good social history, 31 July 2013
S. Hart "shirl" (hayling island) - See all my reviews
I have read a few books now about this era, and loved this book, it showed what life was really like and how hard it was for people to live their own lives while working for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable history, 20 Jan 2013
Easy to read with interesting memories from a time which got lost during Bob Sharpe's lifetime. He had most extraordinary employers, one quite a sinister character, but the book doesn's dwell on that two much.

3.0 out of 5 stars They Also Serve: The real life story of my time in service as a butler, 18 Jan 2013
This book was okay not too much diffferent from the usual 'upstairs, downstairs' type of literature. Not as good as I thought it would be from other reviews