5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner - and you can't say that for most careers books!, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: How to Get Your Ideal Job (Using LinkedIn, Social Media and the Internet) (Kindle Edition)
Like other reviewers have mentioned, the conversational style of this book makes it really easy to read and the interplay between the two authors works well, though at times I found it slightly confusing working out who was talking.

Accompanying the book is an action plan which you can access through the companion website. I found printing this off and filling in the answers to be one of the most useful things I've done in terms of getting my head straight and really figuring out what I want.

I've already recommended the book to friends and I think it should be in every job seeker's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real advice and enjoyable to read, 12 Aug 2012
It's quite clear that the authors have conducted an extensive number of interviews with recruiters and headhunters, mixing that with numerous stories from their own personal experiences.

I get the impression that these guys know what they're writing about, some other books of this type can be a little preachy or just conceptual.

This book is really focused on you and helps you work out your own answers. The case studies at the back were particularly interesting as they show how people have used the book's strategies to get their ideal job.

Definitely worth getting!

5.0 out of 5 stars A different approach on the 'looking for a job' theme - recommended!, 12 Aug 2012
I found this book really interesting and refreshing to get a new perspective on my work situation. So many of the other 'get a job' books I've written are talking about a time long ago where sending off CVs and applying for job adverts was the best thing you could do, but I've tried this approach and seem to be getting nowhere. Whether it's because there are so many applicants now I don't know. But this book talks about the interviews and experience the authors have had actually speaking with recruiters and headhunters. The fact that these people are searching for their candidates on line seems to be quite a new phenomenon and there are some really practical step by step guidelines for making sure what they find when they look you up means that you get the job.

I enjoyed the practical nature of much of the content. There was a fair bit of theory, but mostly it's things you can do NOW and actions to take rather than just more of the same, talking about CVs and cover letters all over again. Highly recommended for those who have tried with the CV thing and had no luck or who want to stand out from the crowd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, practical and entertaining guide, 10 Aug 2012
I haven't finished reading this book yet, but have to say it is one of the best that i have read on jobhunting.
You can either dip into it, or read it from the start - it works both ways.
I've been reading it on my mac with the free kindle reader (not at work!) and it's given me some really useful ways to start taking action in this area. Small steps that are easy to do. Too early to say if LinkedIn is going to change my life, but this gives some simple ideas of how to start trying.
The book is also a very engaging read: the tone of it is friendly but there's obviously a huge amount of knowledge and expertise behind it. It's like talking to a really great careers counsellor. I particularly enjoyed the personal anecdotes that really bring this subject to life.