on 15 August 2013
Having read quite a few negative critiques of Svetlana's dancing I decided I would be extremely critical.
I was completely seduced by the sheer beauty of her dancing. The Rose Adagio was wonderful and David Hallberg is an accomplished danseur. I was never bored as I have been with some productions. I can really say I was completely mesmerised by the music and at times found myself smiling with utter joy. A super treat
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 October 2012
I bought this DVD for the sets and costumes, and they are indeed lavish baroque and excessively luxurious, however watching the whole ballet with their overpowing presence they do very much distract from the dancing; they actually overpower it. The dancing is good but not spectacular. The Paris Opera production has better dancing. The sets and costumes by Ezio Frigerio were commisioned to inaugurate the re-opening of the Bolshoi and cost millions of £, and they were menat to awe the audicience which they do. It is an overwhelming spectacle but probably not appropriate for this ballet and its story. This ballet needs sets and costumes which are more lyrical and diaphanous, and I would even say slightly gothic and not baroque as this production is. Carabosse is a joke here, seems like a giant monster ogre and not and evil fairy witch. The orchestra plays at lightning speed. Overall enjoyable and worth having but not the best production. Ashton's production for the Royal Ballet is preferable but not available on DVD, and The Paris Opera production is overall better from the dancing standpoint.
on 9 January 2014
This is classical ballet at its very best. We watched it over Christmas and it was sheer delight. The sets are complimentary to the dancers and do not overpower, the music just perfect and overall a wonderful experience
on 19 February 2014
Wonderful performances by Zakharova, Hallberg and Allash. Very lavish, new production. The filming was done from slightly below the stage, it seemed, which was a slight negative, but most balletomanes would love this..
on 9 December 2014
very good. as with most Russian ballet DVDs good to look at and very well danced
on 27 July 2014
not as good as her Swan lake, but still the greatest ballerina!
on 2 August 2013
Absolutly wonderful.The soloist are the best you can have in this ballet today.I saw Natalia Makarova and Rudolf Nureijev i The sleeping beauty at Covent Garden in june 1973.This performance is the best i have seen since then.The corps de ballet perfekt.Orchestra first class.
on 21 September 2013
You really can't fault the Bolshoi!! Svetlana Zhakharova really is the prima ballerina of our time. In fact I would say she is one of the all time greats. What a beautiful ballet. My favourites remain La Bayadere and The Pharaoh's Daughter, but this is a really beautful ballet.
on 13 April 2015
Okay
on 23 January 2014
I have watched dvds of four ballets bought from amazon.co.uk : sleeping beauty,la corsaire,swan lake and giselle.
I chose these because they are old traditional 19th century classics.All were enjoyable and showcased dancing of a very high order. But for me sleeping beauty is best because it doesnt have any overlong scenes set to very slow classical music ( I like symphony music but tend to fast forward when the cd reaches the slow movement!).
Sleeping beauty also has many principle dancers and the sets and costumes are bright and cheery throughout.
I could watch sleeping beauty time after time but the other ballets I mentioned would become stale after two or three viewings.Sleeping beauty should appeal to people of all ages.I thoroughly recommend it to you.Jolly entertaining!