4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected...!!!, 14 Feb 2013
After years using alpine packs in the mountains and the military, I never succumbed to the recent trend of buying a panel pack, such as a Camelbak, that everyone and anyone seemed to be using in the Forces recently.

I was dubious then about buying one to use for work after I recently completed my Service.

I have to say that I'm glad I went for the Surge 2. I did a little research by reading reviews and comparing products, but I wasn't really sure what I would be getting until it arrived. I have several items of TNF equipment already and would recommend their gear to anyone, but this was the first of their packs I would try.

Initially I was disappointed by the looks of the pack. I'm not overly style conscious, but I don't like carrying something in civvies that looks like it's more at home in the mountains than in the office. The Surge just about gets away with it although I may contact TNF and suggest they launch a city range to complement their urban range.

Looks aside, the pack really impressed with its load carrying. I like the touch of having a dedicated tablet pouch, though I would've preferred this to have a velcro flap. The three main compartments are large enough to carry everything I need which includes a large A4 portfolio organiser with room to spare for a laptop as well as the iPad if necessary. I also like the organisation panel, though again I would've preferred a velcro tab over the phone pouch for added security.

I was hoping for 2 water bottle pouches, but the charger pocket is quite handy. My only complaint is that the sternum strap doesn't seem to be removable which I would prefer. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...!!

Overall, I'm happy with the pack and would definitely recommend it for urban use, but for the outdoors I'll stick to alpine style packs. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is for the looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic backpack, 14 Aug 2013
Mrs. S. Fraser (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The North Face Surge II Backpack - TNF Black, One Size (Sports)
Love this. Perfect slot for laptop and ipad when travelling.

Lots of separate zippy bits and compartments - saves a lot of rustling around.

Used for air travel with two small children and also mountain walks

Just what I was looking for.

Really well made -

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from The North Face., 28 Dec 2012
There is a reason this brand is popular, outside of fashionability, and that is that they turn out quality products. I did a lot of research before I bought my surge backpack over 2 years ago to go travelling with - and it is still going strong in everyday use. I work in photography, so carry cameras, computer kit and tools - on a daily basis i carry 30kg of gear. The bag is often packed to bulging, So far, not one tear, burst zip or broken clip. The bag is very comfortble on, has a great layout of pockets for a gadget head like myself, has a good padded section for a laptop, deep, elasticated water bottle pockets on both sides, and chest and waist straps to distribute weight. The zips are solid, there are some cool touches in pocket layout and i couldnt be happier with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rucksack, 31 Oct 2012
Excellent product! Used about 6 times so far and really pleased with it. Very comfortable to wear. Would recommend it to other people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really chuffed with this rucksack, 12 Jun 2014
I've been using a TNF rucksack for a good many years now... specifically I was using a TNF 'recon' backpack.

The Recon is an excellent pack, and has stood the test of time brilliantly - in fact, there's still nothing wrong with it 5 years down the line despite a heavy daily commute of 4 hours on the train, Boris Biking, coming with me on short and long haul flights and vacations...

The only downside, is the Recon is quite 'small'.

Enter the Surge II. I felt I needed a bit more space in my backpack since, despite the extensibility of the Recon, it didn't comfortably fit my laptop, tablet, wires AND my cycling helmet.

The Surge II most definitely does fit all this, with oodles of space for more.

My laptop, Bluetooth keyboard and tablet fit in the rear back compartment as designed, my cycling helmet fits in the 'middle' (most spacious) compartment - and the front compartment is incredibly well designed, organised and useful for wires, chargers, pens, mobile phones, Kindle, mouse etc...

The front features two separated vertical zipped pouches which are potentially useful for 'quick grab items' (e.g. umbrella, waterproof jacket). The top most compartment is quite small, but I find this ideal for storing in-ear headphones - but it is soft-lined, so I wouldn't be surprised if its' principle designed use was for sunglasses.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this bag - it's not cheap, but I have no concerns that this bag won't last up to a decade of heavy use - it's incredibly well built.

the other thing I didn't mention is that it genuinely feels a lot lighter packed than my Recon sack. I've put it on my back and honestly thought my laptop wasn't in there and had to check! It's that well designed and balanced.

If I had to be constructive about this bag, I would say the rear compartment could zip fully open as the more 'upgraded' "Surge II Charged" does.

Also, the 'main' compartment (that I use to stow my cycle helmet), whilst large - it is very tricky to get my cycle helmet in and out as the laptop section pushes against it and so somewhat restricts the size of the opening - i.e. when a laptop is in there, it's hard to stuff things in that compartment - but, not much TNF can do about that!

Also it's very plain looking... but in the interest of appealing to a wide market, and not polarising opinion on looks, plain is the way forward. For a bag that will last years and years, it's better for it not to have colour or design since both these things can go in and out of favour over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 18 May 2014
It was for my partner, he is very content with this purchase, he would not go shopping without it. So spacious and well organised, highly recommended !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, superb features, 17 April 2014
I love this backpack. It fits my laptop, tablet, gym kit and a whole bunch of other things for work. For trips away, I can easily fit several days worth of fresh clothing and still get the tablet and various other things in it AND get it on as carry on luggage. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent: Versatile, strong, comfortable (just remember it's a big backpack), 6 April 2014
This is an excellent backpack in every way, just make sure you know how big it is before buying it.

- Comfortable: The straps are thickly padded so it's not uncomfortable even when full of heavy items. The back is also padded but is meant to allow for air circulation. Theres a chest strap and a hip strap that can be tucked away (used it once).

- Versatile: It's big, but it can be pulled in when not full. This is very useful. It contains many pockets so you stay organised and keep things protected. There's a separate zipped laptop pocket (suitable even for big 17" laptops or anything similar, and should also be fine if you keep your laptop in a sleeve). The other pockets are handy for things like keys, chargers, earphones, glasses cases, cards, etc.

- Strong: After many months of use it's going strong. I've filled with some very heavy items and it's held up perfectly.

Appearance: Utility-first. It's basic and quite clean. It's not one of those that was designed to look good foremost, but it looks a lot better than some, e.g. the gaudy Wenger/Victorinox offerings. It looks fine in any environment, corporate to sport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daypack Rucksack, 28 Dec 2013
Very good product and robust in use. Does all it claims and has been used for a while now to ensure it performs well before writing the review. With this type of product you really do get what you pay for - dont buy cheap substiute brands. excellent supplier and delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 8 Nov 2013
A good size bag to replace my trusty swissgear pack. Albeit a lot more expensive. It seems well made and has lots of room, has plenty of padding and plenty of dividers, the only fault I could pinpoint is that it should have a bottle pocket on both sides as I normally like to keep a newspaper or magazine in there for easy access when i'm travelling.

The North Face Surge II Backpack - TNF Black, One Size