5.0 out of 5 stars PROBABLY BEST FEMALE GUITAR BLUES PLAYER EVER

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars PROBABLY BEST FEMALE GUITAR BLUES PLAYER EVER, 28 Dec 2012
FastHand (Harefield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
I've been waiting for Joanne's new album for ages and I certainly was'nt disappointed. It starts off with an up tempo number and some solid guitar licks and the album finishes with a beautiful love song. In between is a mixture of up tempo blues and ballads. "Jealousy" is a lovely soulfull ballad with wonderful, subtle, mature guitar playing and "Standing to Fall" is a free flowing number where Joanne lets rip and gives it some welly way beyond her years. I can't ever recall hearing such an accomplished female blues guitar player and on top of that talent, her beautiful husky voice is to die for, this is one female that could talk to me all day. Her voice reminds me of a cross between Dusty Springfield and Joss Stone.
What could be better than someone who plays, dare I say it ( better than Clapton )and has a sexy voice to boot. Yes I like this a lot and can't wait for her fourth album.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Next Studio Album Has To Be Better, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
This is a decent album but doesn't take off, Jo has a great expressive voice and is one of the best blues guitarists around. Much like her hero SRV songwriting doesn't come easy, someone like Kevin Shirley is needed to make her into the superstar she can be. A good example is Going Home from her first album, a few more uptempo rock songs with killer riffs and solos would be good , on this album it's all a bit too polite, where's the excitement. I like the album but the next one needs to be a lot better and she needs to get on some good tours as special guest or support, Bonamasssa and Slash spring to mind but her profile needs to be a lot higher, does she need better management?

3.0 out of 5 stars JST latest Album, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
I have played this a few times now, and whilst I am pleased I bought it and will continue to use, it falls short of "White Sugar", her first Album.
There just does not seem to be the originality or edge to the set. White Sugar feels "live" in it's presentation. This does not make me sit up and listen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good vocals and guitar but needs better songs, 17 Sep 2012
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
I've not heard much by Joanne Shaw Taylor but the few tracks I have heard were very impressive for such a young guitarist/singer working a similar modern soul blues territory to Jon Amor and Matt Schofield. I was a bit surprised by the choice of Mike McCarthy (Spoon, Patty Griffin, Lee Ann Womack) as producer but I guess this record is aimed more to an American audience.

The production is certainly very professional, if maybe a bit slick, and similarly the band of David Garza on keyboards and a rhythm section of Billy White and J.J. Johnson provide seamless, if a bit annonymous, back up for Joanne's guitar and vocals. Joanne doesn't have the blues-belting voice of a Susan Tedeschi but I do like her more intimate hoarse, husky 'whisper'. Her guitar playing has some very impressive varied sounds but I did think that some of the solos were a bit weak. However, it was the songs that I thought really let this album down, there were too many mid-tempo soul blues that lope along and don't really get anywhere, there is certainly nothing here as good as "Going home" or "Bones" from her first CD. I would go for "Beautifully broken" and "A hand in love" as my favourite tracks. I do wonder if Mike McCarthy is the right producer for Joanne and if a producer with more blues and rock experience would have been a better choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joanne grows and keeps getting better and better, 9 Mar 2014
Another top album from JST
Her Voice is definately developing and her guitar , always amazing , just keeps stepping up !

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid album with a couple of great tracks., 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
The guitar playing on this is great throughout, especially my favourites "Jealousy" & "Beautifully Broken". She has a very distinctive voice, but I like it and it's perfect for the style of music.
There are a good variety of styles and tempos on the album, and after a few spins they all make their impression, so this CD is never far from my player and I listen right through every time I put it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joanne Shaw Taylor is the best female guitar player!, 11 Aug 2013
Ole Ringsgaard Joergensen (Odense C, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
Almost Always Never is one more great album form Joanne Shaw Taylor. She knows how to play the guitar (no woman can do it like her!) and her voice and everything. It's only get better when she plays live! That was also so great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Jo, you really could do a lot better., 22 Feb 2013
D. Price - See all my reviews
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
JST is an amazing guitar player at a very early stage in what should become a glittering career - you will have seen her supporting Annie Lennox at the Jubilee last year. I've seen her a number of times live and she really does have an incredible talent. What she desperately needs now is good career direction and advice. Seems to be lacking on this release.

I also have her two previous albums, which were very good but sadly nowhere near as good as she is playing live.

To my mind this lovechild of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Dusty Springfield has produced a competent album full of mediocre tunes and arrangements. It sounds to my ears like it is over-produced and safe, there is no real edginess or rawness to it. I appreciate how difficult it must be to write and record a fresh album so soon after the last one and that the corporate suits need to see a return, but us dedicated fans need to know that our hard-earned cash is being well used. Here it isn't. Too many of the songs lack spark or show her influences too openly and I am afraid to say that the overall effect was quite boring.

I've no doubt that JST is a nice girl, but for my taste she needs more grit. I'll put it down to changing to the les paul for now and will stay a loyal fan.

So in short, this is a good but over-produced west-coast style album from an artist at a difficult stage in her career. Buy it and it won't disappoint too much and will allow Jo to stay in the business which has to be a good thing if she continues to tour. She will be a major blues artist in future and a great role model for any girl wanting to break into this style.

Best female blues guitarist ever, no not yet - she may get there though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement on 2nd but still not as good as first., 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
Great young guitarist and I like her voice which is far from sugary.

More bluesy than the Diamonds in the dirt, which as you will assume from the title I prefer but it lacks the class blues songs of the time has come and blackest day from White Sugar which I really enjoyed. Jealousy, however with its moody guitar / driving guitar in the background is a great song and I really enjoyed tied and bound as well. Her vocals have also improved after the almost shrieking at the end of every line in Diamonds in the Dirt.

Overall I am really enjoying listening to it and will get her 4th album (I was worried after the 2nd).

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly bland, 19 Sep 2012
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Almost Always Never (Audio CD)
I was thrilled when I first discovered this great artist on her White Sugar album. I was even more thrilled when Diamonds In The Dirt was released, it was even better. It's been a long wait since then and I've been eagerly looking forward to this album. But it's just, well, bland.

It's a polished and accomplished performance, but I agree with another reviewer, the songs are just toned down and repetitive and boring. Go and listen to tracks like Time Has Come from White Sugar, or Lord Have Mercy from Diamonds In The Dirt, and you can see what stunning exciting playing and singing this lady is capable of. Where is it on this album? There is a glimpse of it in Tied and Bound, and Standing To Fall starts off promisingly and then fizzles out half way through, but otherwise it's totally missing in my view. I still play the other albums frequently, but I doubt I'll be going near this one much.

Is this catering more for US tastes? She seems to have spent a lot of time there. If it is, I hope she reverts to previous form for her next album.

I still love her singing and playing - but not on this much, sadly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Almost Always Never
Almost Always Never by Joanne Shaw Taylor (Audio CD - 2012)