5.0 out of 5 stars Great read from start to finish.
I haven't read a horror book for years. I bought a kindle to download books that I wouldn't usually read and having *met* Ania on twitter I thought SEED sounded like a good book to start with.

Published on 19 Oct 2011 by P. Denton

3.0 out of 5 stars Had great potential...but..
Read the sample and thought, this could be good. However, the story had a real promise, but the book felt to me as though it was a short story. Whilst i really dont like 'padding' in a book, i feel this one lacked setting, and structure, and atmosphere in a lot of areas.
Not the scariest book you will read, but has some good moments.
I have just finished it and...
Published on 17 July 2011 by Mrs. A. McAllister

3.0 out of 5 stars Had great potential...but.., 17 July 2011
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
Not the scariest book you will read, but has some good moments.
I have just finished it and feel not enough questions were answered.
On the plus side, the book races from start to finish.
In conclusion, i feel a bit short changed with this book, it had real potential as a meaty story, i found the 'baddie' a little too laughable, could have been so much more. I wont be looking for the next book im afraid

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for smart people: Boring, Bland, Cop-out Ending and Badly written, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
I am writing this review to save others from wasting a few hours of their lives on unnecessary blandness. The story never develops (it reads more like a short story) it is never scary, lacks atmosphere and includes a cop-out ending: life is too short for books like this.

I am not an English native speaker (I'm Dutch), but even I notice that, harsh as it sounds, that this writer just can't write very well.

At one point I started noticing how the author tried to describe things, but lack of talent/skill made her turn to a list of similes such as: "It sagged into the yard LIKE a broken limb". "It hung outward on a single hinge LIKE a lose tooth." "It was jutting into the grass LIKE an outstretched hand looking for help." "They open up LIKE a flimsy bag of marbles." "The left headlight pointed too far to the left LIKE it was searching for roadkill" "She was sobbing LIKE a girl who'd just lost everything". (And at that point in the story, she had just lost everything...oh dear...).
And it is not that I had to search this book for these jewels of descriptions: I lifted the above all from 1 or 2 consecutive pages. They were everywhere...like sand after a day at the beach.

Luckily the author had a thesaurus handy, and at one point an alternative for `LIKE was found':

"AS THOUGH he was being electrocuted (but then, of course, it was followed by:) LIKE an epileptic on the cusp of a grand mal."

How about this treasure:
"There was a sickening tinge of finality to their division, AS THOUGH they'd reached the end of something."
Yes! It was Final, like it was the End of something!

Seriously, no competent writer would write phrases such as this, and you find these jewels on pretty much every page, which distracts you from an already very boring `plot'. (There is no plot. I swear, there isn't.)

The author's desperate attempts to inject some atmosphere into the story were as follows:
"There was something cinematically surreal about it, something that matched his situation to a T."

Obviously she's hoping for the reader to be able to borrow some desperately needed cinematically surreal feelings experienced from previous experiences created by Artists Who Could.

So, what good is an author who can't express herself properly?
Skillful descriptions can subtly draw you into the scenery, the settings, the characters and the action and play with your emotions, putting you on edge by creating a certain atmosphere that supports the story. So where does a complete lack of that leaves us as readers?

It leaves us here: bored, not bothered who lives or dies and how they do it, and annoyed at readers who gave this book good reviews as this is what made me buy this book! I felt this was a waste of my 86 pence. Yes indeed, it wasn't even worth 86 pence, and I also wish I could have those few hours of my life back that I invested in plowing through it.

Puzzled by the good reviews of this one, I have been looking for an explanation. I'm starting to think that books sold at these low prices attract a crowd that is more concerned with spending the least amount possible instead of paying more for a real treat. With that attitude, of course you'd give a good review as your most important criterion has been met: you were off the street for a few hours and it ONLY cost you 86 pence! What an incredible bargain: 5 stars! Alternatively: family & friends. Or first time book-readers.

I've given it 1.5 stars as it didn't _immediately_ make me want to kill myself as David Moody's writing does, and, occasionally, a tinge of the author's humor shone through; I almost smiled 3 times.

Seriously, don't bother with this. Guaranteed you will feel cheated at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read from start to finish., 19 Oct 2011
P. Denton (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)

I usually take a week to read a book, fitting it in around writing and work (and sport). I'd read about 40% of Seed and settled down to read some more. I couldn't put it down. It is very unusual for me to read more than half a book in one go but with Seed I HAD to keep reading.

The pace of the story kept me interested throughout and the different narrative strands are expertly woven together to create a very satisfying story. For me this was a definite page turner (or Kindle next page button clicker - that doesn't quite have the same ring does it!). I wanted to know about the characters and how the events panned out.

I needed to decide what rating to give the book. Given that I couldn't put it down it had to get the full 5* treatment. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to all.

Well done, Ania! I look forward to more stories.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
poor story. poor ending, poor characters exorcist based tale. had promise finished the story wished i had't bothered. Sorry Ania

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware the shadowy demon of the unexplained, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
While it kept me interested there was little explanation or interrogation of what was happening or why. It's left a number of unanswered questions but was curious enough to keep going. Plus it's short.

It was OK, I kept reading in the hope there'd be more exploration of what dark dealings where going on but alas was met with an abrupt, sadly predictable, ending.

But it was free on the Kindle Lending Library so that's a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars From The Aussie Zombie, 28 Jan 2012
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
Seed by Ania AhlbornIt must be really difficult to write a horror story. After all, we are battered to the point of death with it in so many ways - movies, television, and books- that it's easy to become a little immune and even a little cynical about the genre as a whole. A book must be so much more difficult - you don't have any special effects, ghosties jumping out of the shadows in full surround sound in a dark movie theatre, or bimbos to shout `don't go into the basement!' at (and they are my favourite part!)

I love horror, but it's been a long time since I read one that was truly spooky and made more than a passing impression on me. For that alone, Ms. Ahlborn is already ahead of the game.

I was sold right from the get-go - the fluid writing and vivid, but not overpowering, descriptions of the Deep South had me swatting imaginary mosquitoes and dreaming of fried chicken. The Winter's are the average struggling-to-make-ends-meet family, which makes them all the more likable and believable - the kids are cute, Aimee is the loving mother and Jack is the father who just wants his family to be happy and safe while working hard to build a better life for his wife and kids.

It's difficult to write a review without a spoiler, so all I will say is if you love horror buy this book. You just may want to consider carefully whether you read it alone in the dark!

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this book, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book. It's got some bad reviews but at the end of the day it is what it is - a good horror thriller. Go for it if you like Stephen King short stories, and enjoy. I couldn't stop reading it and had read it within 2 hours

3.0 out of 5 stars O.K., 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
Not bad if you've got nothing else to read I suppose. Didn't grip me like others I've read.
I finished it though, so it can't be all that bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
After reading the reviews I thought I'd give this book a go. Well, what a great read. Very well written. One of those books where, you think, I will get to the end of this paragraph and then put the book down. But you don't put the book down, you keep on reading. Not the ending you expect, a real good book for the imagination. Highly recommended. Will be reading more of her books in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 3 Dec 2013
jakczek (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read this type of book. I think I realize why as I found it very slow in places and the characters were, in my mind, not fully developed and rounded. I also must admit that I didn't find it especially spooky or frightening. It was entertaining however.