4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, great images, just not enough of them!
This is a very substantial hard-back book with, as you would expect from The Great British Bake Off, luxurious recipes and gorgeous photography.

Published on 15 Aug 2012 by Vintage Folly ™

3.0 out of 5 stars More photos please
I picked this book up in a bookstore and flicked through it. The recipes looked brilliant, many of which I couldn't wait to try out - always a good sign when buying a cookery book I feel.

Published on 5 Aug 2012 by roadrunner

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, great images, just not enough of them!, 15 Aug 2012

The recipes are separated into sections; biscuits, cakes, breads etc and then within each section the recipes are rated by the level of skill required. The recipes I have tried have been very easy to follow and the results easy to reproduce with the help of the beautiful images, but here lies the problem, there just aren't enough of said images.

Some of these recipes, which include technical challenges and signature bakes from the show, are quite complicated and yet almost half are not accompanied by a photograph of the final result.

In all honesty I think you are not only less likely to try a recipe without a picture to whet your appetite, but you are also less likely to create it successfully without an image to refer to. It is a shame, because apart from this, I can find no fault whatsoever with the book which accompanies the new series of The Great British Bake Off. Buy it for reliable everyday recipes and ideas that will add a flair to everything you bake.

3.0 out of 5 stars More photos please, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Great British Bake Off: How to turn everyday bakes into showstoppers (Kindle Edition)

However, on buying the book and sitting down to read it I have discovered that there are many,many recipes which do not have photographs of the finished article. As a home baker I always find it better the see what the end product should look like as it makes interpretation of the method sooo much easier. The annoying thing is that there are photographs of the contestants (from the next series I presume as I don't recognise any of them) and Mary & Paul and photos of kitchen equipment and a chair with a cushion on it!!! I don't need pictures of all that - I know what Mary & Paul and cushions look like!!!! Some recipes have extra tips at the end of the recipe which take up quite a lot of the page - space that could have been used for pictures.

Having said all that I can't wait to try some of the recipes as they are so different from all my other baking books. Just don't expect to find pictures of ALL the recipes in the book.

A quick update to say I have tried 2 recipes from this book now, the salted caramel layer cake and the chocolate and praline traybake. The layer cake received great reviews although mine was a much deeper cake than in the photograph. The recipe was easy enough to follow but quite laborious so maybe not an everyday bake. The traybake, although nice enough, didn't blow my socks off - I think I would prefer a brownie mix. Both recipes were quite time consuming but I suppose the title of this book is 'Showstoppers' so I should have expected that really. This hasn't put me off trying more recipes though, I've already got a few more recipes earmarked to try.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Series Tie-In, 14 Aug 2012
Syriat - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
So the new Series of Great British Bake-Off is here and this is the new book to accompany it. Although another book (Learn to bake - 80 easy recipes for all the family) is due to be released in October.

It follows a similar format to last years book with the signature bakes by Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry as well as the best of the Bake-Off recipes (though they don't tell you which of the bakers made them). Also there is an unlock code ready for the finals recipes where you can download them. There are Cakes, Biscuits, Breads and Sweet Dough, Tarts, Pies, Deserts, Puddings and The Basics sections. Each section follows a week of the series and also has a showstopping technique section. An example of this is icing and stacking a cake for the first section on cakes. This teaches you to do that over a couple of pages. Quite useful really. the Basics section has weight conversions and some things like how to bake buttercream - no photo's in this section.

The recipes seem easy to follow and I'll be trying more and more and updating this review. The selection doesn't seem quite as accessible as last year. Some just look dauntingly difficult to try. The bake off challenges are ranked from Easy to Needs a little skill. Cranberry Pie is in the latter category and looks ok. There is also a best of the bake off. The pie's section includes a couple of Wellingtons and Paul Hollywood's Beef Wellington. I am looking forward to trying that.

What's disappointed me is the bread section seems a little thin and the lack of photo's on some of the recipes is a shame. I also don't think I will be trying things like Lychee and Raspberry Tart - some of the recipes just look very difficult or not very enticing.

Its not as good as last years book in my opinion. However, it has enough recipes and techniques to get you baking and to give you things to try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive Book But Not enough Pictures, 23 Aug 2012
Was lucky enough to borrow this from my local library as they were putting it out on display as a brand new addition to their stock.
I have singled out a few recipes that I intend to try but in reality, most of them are not what you would class as everyday baking & some involve quite complicated techniques.
However, you would probably expect this to be the case from the title of the book.
I do feel that ideally reach recipe should be accompanied by a photograph so you know what you are aiming for when you set out to follow a recipe.
I for one, would be less likely to attempt something that was going to be time consuming & costly without knowing what I was trying to create!
Attractive book & I will probably jot down a couple of recipes from it but I won't be adding it to my collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of photographs disappointing, 11 Sep 2012
I wish I had read the reviews before ordering this from my Android.

The lack of photographs of the finished bakes is very disappointing. I do like to see what a finished recipe should look like before I start baking. I am very unlikely to even try something that doesn't have a photograph. I don't need full page photographs of contestants grinning at me, or Victorian jugs filled with roses, or a double page spread photo of mixing bowls and ingredients in glass jars. What I would like are photographs of the finished bakes so that I can see what I am aiming to achieve. Please.

An assortment of recipes in this book. Yes, some are basic bakes tweaked in a way to make them show-stoppers but, in my opinion, some are not exactly everyday bakes to start with. It does have all the basic recipes in a section at the back which is a nice touch.

I like the way that baking tips are sprinkled throughout the book and actually made easy to find by being encircled in some way. The size and weight of the hardback book is good too. It feels good to pick up and flip through. The layout of the text and recipes are easy on the eye.

Overall, if I had looked at this book in a bookshop I would probably not have bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks showstopping, recipe I have tried hasn't quite worked out, 14 Aug 2012
Katie1234 (Halifax, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I flicked through the book and there are some amazing recipes in it for example caramel layer cake, lemon and pecan celebration cake and Mary's Fraisier. There are a different variety of recipes to the other Great British Baking books with many pies and technical cakes and the book is nicely finished. I live the detailef descriptions how to decorate your cakes professional with step by step pictures. However with many technical showstopping cakes, a picture is always handy to ensure the finished product is as designed.

I particularly liked the jewel box cake as it fit the theme of my birthday red and white. The recipe to make the bow is flawed, I have reread the recipe countless times and it has failed twice, separating. Not at all the glossy finish the kneading was supposed to deliver. In the end I have covered all the cake in raspberries and drizzled white chocolate over. Still looks amazing but not the cake I set on for my birthday cake, has a mistake been made in the recipe for the bow? Furthermore the cake mix is rather dry/plain, probably as its meant to have the sweet chocolate on top, oh well I will try another and see how it goes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Showstopper Bakes, 2 Aug 2012
Lith (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I have watched both series of the Great British Bake Off so far, and bought both books, so when I saw that the new one was out. I was so there.

It is organised in a slightly different way to the previous books, rather than a collection of recipes organised by type, it starts each chapter (Cakes, Biscuits, Bread and Sweet Doughs, Tarts, Pies, Desserts, and Puddings) with a base recipe, for which there are three variations, or showstopping challenges - Easy, Takes a little time, and Needs a little skill.

There are also some pages on showstopping techniques, such as making chocolate leaves, the technical challenges from the series, and some recipes from the series.It feels a little light on recipes in comparison to the previous books, and doesn't have pictures of each finished product, which is a little disappointing.

I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but although sometimes the ones from the series can be a little more unreliable, the ones in the previous books are some of my go to recipes, particularly from The Great British Book of Baking: 120 best-loved recipes from teatime treats to pies and pasties

I look forward to trying some out! Doughnuts! Fondant Fancies!

Update: I have now tried a few of the technical bakes (plaited loaf, treacle tart), and a couple of other things (lime pie, salambos, tarte tatin) and they have all worked perfectly. I have shared a few pictures in the gallery as proof!

Update 2: When I made the doughnuts, I had to change the frying temperature from 180C to 160C as they were cooking too fast. When I watched the masterclass episode, Paul Hollywood used 160C too, I thought it was just a one-off... but then had some issues with the chelsea buns not rising properly... and it turns out (when you watch the masterclass episode) that he added 40g of caster sugar to the dough! Booo!

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistakes, 13 Dec 2012
I picked up this book specifically to get the recipe for Chelsea buns (Paul's version). Now, as I sit here with my buns in the oven, I have discovered mistakes! Having never made Chelsea buns before, I picked this as I presumed that it would be a reliable and tested recipe. After spending a good part of this evening kneading and resting dough, I sat down to watch the Paul Hollywood demonstration of this recipe on Youtube.

To start with, the ingredients omit the use of SUGAR in the dough. With it being a dough, and not a sponge (plus my inexperience), I failed to pick up on this. Then Youtube Paul directly contradicts GBBO book Paul with regards to oil in the bowl (in which you place the resting dough). In the video he clearly says this is something you do NOT do, in the book you are instructed to put your bowl with oil. Oh, and the resting times differ from '30 minutes resting' (book) to 'at least an hour' (Youtube).

These mistakes have destroyed my confidence in the reliability of the book. There is no point in my using it if I have to do a search of other recipes first to check that the accuracy of the instructions and more unforgivably, the ingredients are correct. I hope these points are clarified in future editions, but I suspect the rush to publish this in time for the end of the series contributed to, in my opinion, a cardinal cookbook sin. Sorry GBBO, you can do better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance but great fun, 27 Aug 2012
A good looking and well made book packed with attractive photographs. Most of the recipes are exactly what the title promises: showstopping. Fiddly complex and time consuming, they are less practical and useful than some/most recipe collections. However the book is great fun and fans of the series will lap it up

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Bake-off, 5 Sep 2012
I ordered this book as a treat for myself but I was disappointed with it. If I hadn't taken it out of the country I would have returned it to Amazon. As others have mentioned there are far too many photos of participants rather than the items being cooked and what the editor thought of showing a photo of a cushion and chair on page 95 and tins on page 88 sums up much of where the book has gone wrong. A cookery book needs to show photos of the finished product, or stages in the making of the baked goods.
I thought this book would give me lots of ideas for fund-raising cakes etc. and this is where the disappointment set in, I don't think there are as many ideas as the blurb made out. However, the cup cake recipe worked well although the Almond Swirl biscuits were too runny. I do hate the arty bit around the page numbers, maybe it's my age and myopia but a clearer page number would have been so much easier to read.