4.0 out of 5 stars A solid bluetooth mouse, if a little too small

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid bluetooth mouse, if a little too small, 20 Dec. 2012
Mendo Shutaro (Leamington) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
I have pretty specific requirements with mice - they must be comfortable in the hand, have a useful middle mouse button (essential in applications such as Autodesk 3D Studio Max and Maya), and have no lag. Wireless mice can suffer from lag, which is to say there is a small delay between the mouse being moved and the pointer responding on screen. If you do design work and need precision, this is a deal breaker. They also must have nice smooth tracking, with no jitter.

This new Microsoft mouse manages tick tick most of my boxes. It has no lag, very little jitter, a good middle mouse botton (the left and right buttons are fine too), and it's comfortable to hold. It's a little small perhaps, but not so much as to make it uncomfortable.

Curiously it doesn't come with any drivers, and there are none for download (at least on the Mac), but the bluetooth paired up without a problem and it seems to work fine. A tip for Mac users - try using third party mouse control panels such as CursorSense to get more control over the way the pointer moves. Personally I like a completely flat response, with no acceleration.

I can't comment on battery life yet for obvious reasons, but Microsoft claims it's an epic 9 months, which really would be an impressive achievement if true. Oh and it looks nice enough too, and is solidly built. An option for a white one would have been nice though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes getting used to, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
I've been using this for about 3 months now and I think I'm about used to it.
This is a laptop mouse, I've been using it for a desktop mouse and I really wish I'd bought something bigger.

It does track very well and it is quite comfortable, but I wouldn't think of using it for gaming - just occasional use really.

The scroll button (flat middle button) is quite neat. It works, and gives feedback... I'm sure that a wheel mouse would have worked just as well but the benefits of having a flat button can't be understated. It doesn't require cleaning and won't stop working because it's gotton caught on something or clogged up.

It's ok.... I'm not raving about it because there are more comfortable mice out there - but no real complaints either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, excellent accuracy (although some Bluetooth issues not of the mouse's causing), 16 April 2014
Matthew Stroh (Settle, North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
I really like this mouse to use when travelling, which is what I bought it for. The Bluetooth connection is fast and reliable (although see comments on changing some settings, below). It works well on just about any surface, including the dog's back, which I was able to test when he jumped on my lap as I was trying to edit a document. It's (the mouse as well as the dog) small enough to be neatly portable (a small case to protect it would have been welcome), but large enough not to be uncomfortable to use. The 'touch' scroll wheel with vibration feedback works well too.

My only issue is with the Bluetooth configuration options that should allow you to change the scroll speed for the scroll touchpad and the vibration/scroll wheel feedback settings. There is a Microsoft settings program to download, but it seems to be a widely reported issue with the Bluetooth 'stack' on Toshiba laptops that prevents the settings being saved to the mouse. After trying unsuccessfully to get the settings to change on the laptop, I installed the MS program on an iMac running Windows and there was no problem changing the vibration settings etc and the configuration was retained when I next paired it with the original Toshiba laptop. This does not affect the basic operation of the mouse and it paired via Bluetooth to the laptop with no bother, but there seems to be this issue with changing settings via this MS program on Toshiba laptops.

Despite that gripe, it's a great product and clearly better quality than the much cheaper alternatives I've tried previously.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 April 2014
A. Sharif (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
I don't get how this mouse got through QA testing... I mean it's comfortable, looks pretty and is relatively compact - but the scroll functionality / haptic feedback is just awful! Most of the time the touch-sensitive scroll pad doesn't respond, and the vibration feedback is just annoying. It just doesn't feel right - it's hard to explain, but it doesn't feel natural, nor does it correspond with the on-screen action. Also the bluetooth connectivity seems a bit flaky, sometimes there's either a slight lag or an element of jumpiness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes getting used to, 21 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
I was actually going to return this as at first it seems severely compromised, especially the touch "wheel". If you persevere, you will get the hang of it. Still quite expensive though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
On the whole the mouse is comfortable enough to use, even with my very large hands - I've yet to experience any cramping or real discomfort arising from its use. I love the fact that it uses standard batteries, so I don't to carry around a separate charger just for the mouse, and the fact it is bluetooth means I don't have to loose one of my USB ports to a dongle.

Now, for the not so good points.
- I am quite adept at computers and technology, so when I say there were issues installing this on Windows 8.1, its not the usual user error. The MS drivers were not playing nicely with the MS hardware.
- A couple of times an hour the mouse seems to loose connection briefly with the PC - this is highly annoying, but it sorts itself out after a 10s or so.
- You need to install the MS hardware counterpart utility if you want to disable the audible and haptic feedback of the 'touch scrolling' feature.
- Lack of additional thumb buttons (often used for forward/back navigation on web browsers).
- The 'touch' area is no real substitute for a proper scroll wheel.

Whether this mouse is suitable for you is dependent on the type of work you do. For example, if, like me, you use CAD at work, then this mouse is of no use - the lack of a proper, precise control wheel and no additional buttons just makes this mouse useless. If, however, you only need a simple mouse to browse the web and use office applications, as I do at home and out-n-about, then this mouse is fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works so perfect with Windows 8.1, with 3sec serching devices in window, wireless system already ready to use, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
I was actually worried that this mouse gonna be turn to s*** as many people here commented.

but, When I saw this mouse firstime, I realized. this mouse has such a nice design and quality made.

with hoping that the function will be equal with the design, When I just click the device search in my Window 8.1,

just in 3 Sec, this mouse starts to work. Wow. it was so easy to set up and so nicely working It was totally new world without any lines.

Also it's working so well on my wooden desk. now I can throw my old mouse pad away.

One more, I don't understand, why Mac people are so complaining about this mouse?

It's MicroSoft works,

it's so obviouse this mouse's gonna work with MicroSoft's, new Window 8.1 cuz this mouse was made for it.

I think, Since Mac people bought the Macbook, they should admit that they have to pay lots of money for Mac Accesorries.

It's funny that Mac user bought this Microsoft mouse because of cheap price and complaint about its competitable with Mac.

I recommend Mac user should buy the Magic mouse from Apple store, it works 100% well with Mac.

My computer is Dell, XPS15 9530 with Windows 8.1 upto date, It works so well for information.

Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the negative reviews. Bargain too., 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
I ignored the negative reviews on Amazon for this product, and I am soooo glad I did. For a mobile mouse for working on the go with my Surface Pro 2 it's spot on. No lag, no fuss, it works. It also works with a Mac I see from the manual, but the don't tell you that on the main ad. The scroll pad is a novelty but works fine. Another cracking product. Not perfect but it can't as yet answer my email for me or wash my car so it gets a 4 out of 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
Been using this mouse for over a month now.Love nearly all aspects of this mouse. Weak point is the touch sensitive scrolling strip, on occasion it can take 3 attempts at getting it to do what you want. So buy it if you tend not to scroll; if you do scroll look else where.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mouse overall, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse (Accessory)
I chose this mouse because it would connect to my laptop without additional an additional dongle. The centre button acts as a virtual scroll wheel, which feels quite odd to begin with, but works well enough. The only downside I've found so far is that the mouse can sometimes be a bit sluggish to detect movement on some materials (e.g. the arm of the sofa!). On a normal desk or table it works fine and feels nicely weighted. It's also quite small so fits well in my bag. All-in-all, a recommendation.

Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse