4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
The item has come down massively in price since one of the earlier reviews, but at 11.45 (One of the sellers) for a new copy is very good, seeing as 'Bouncing Off The Satellites' costs nearly that alone - new!! I am very pleased with it, as it only leaves me needing a couple of CD's in their discography. Now onto the negatives. They are really just a few nit picky things, but don't affect the product too much, like the fact these aren't remastered recordings and they do not contain any lyric sheets like the albums themselves, but I know this is because they are in slip-cases. A little booklet compiling the lyrics and credits would be a nice feature for this collection, but none the less it is a fantastic product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy if you want to refresh or discover the fantasticly fun B-52's, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
Great value for money, 5 albums of this great band, spanning from the early years to the popularity of the Love Shack days. I bought this to replace some of my much loved vinyl. Comes in a sleeve with 5 cardboard covers of the original album covers, admittedly you don't get all the write ups, pic and lyrics etc, but the CD's are mint and I'm enjoying playing the legendry B-52's in the car, brightens my day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable document of band's progression over first 5 (full) albums, 4 Oct 2012
Martin Fielding (Findon, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
These Rhino box sets don't tend to give you any extras unlike the equivalent Sony/Columbia sets and the albums haven't been remastered, so why buy them at all and more specifically why buy this one? There are two reasons in this set's case: the inclusion of the otherwise difficult to get Bouncing Off The Satellites, and for the more casual fan (like me) the chance to revisit the development of a vital American new wave band over a 10 year period up to and including their breakthrough 1989 album Cosmic Thing. When the first two albums burst on the scene in 1979 and 1980, they really were unlike anything else around and they put put the band into the same league as contemporaries Talking Heads in terms of innovation. We really had never heard anything like Planet Claire and Private Idaho. But the innovation seemed to stall with 1981's Mesopotamia EP (not included here) and 1983's Whammy and at that stage they lost my interest, which was a pity as 1986's Bouncing Off The Satellites, new to me in this set, is a really interesting record especially the slower, more reflective tracks. After Cosmic Thing (and The Flintstones movie) the rest was history but, until something better comes along, this set is a really relevant document of how a unique band developed over an extended period of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile B52's repackage., 25 April 2013
DS Robertson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of the original albums series. I remember buying the first B 52's album many years ago and I found there music fun, exciting and fresh. I don't think they have ever released a poor album, but the albums in this package are probably the group at their best. A big plus is the hard to find Bouncing Off the Satellites is included in this collection. If you have never listened to the B 52's this a cheap introduction to a great band.

5.0 out of 5 stars B_52's, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
The boxed set was excellent value for money and we thoroughly enjoyed listening to it and will continue to do so. It would be a great introduction to the band for anyone curious about them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, 13 Jan 2014
J. A. P. Walsh (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
A great collection of five classic B-52's records, presented in cardboard slip cases (like Vinyl replicas). Very good sound, clear and crisp recordings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Worlds best Party Band ...., 17 April 2013
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
The poor B-52's, having been a fan since 1979 I have all of the originals of these on vinyl, these guys should have had immense success, the bluprint was there,,,, quirky, catchy pop songs, an image that was both weird and exotically camp ( Fred Schneider could have given Liberace a run for his money ) retro cover designs to this day " The B-52's " with its warholish band print to me is still iconic, as is "Wild Planet".

What can I say about the music?. well to the uninitiated give this original album series box set a listen and I think you will be hooked. I loved the way they made such ridiculous catchy pop hooks about "butterbeans".. a dog called "Quiche Lorriane"..."whammy Kiss" the list is endless. Of course "Rock Lobster" still sounds as retro today as it did in 79 and is still a crowd favourite at their gigs to present date.

Criminally this box set ignores "Party Mix" and "Mesopotamia"... the latter their most over looked album, produced by David Byrne, critcis and fans alike panned this one but to me it was one of their best... I loved the basslines, harmonies and "throw that Beat in the Garbage Can" has one of the best lines in a song ever" "Sweat ruins my clothes they are very expensive"... love it!!! "Cake" with its refrains of " I Heard it takes a long time for it to rise".. to which Cindy drools "ooooh I heard that" was very tongue in cheek..

To me with the commercial success of "Cosmic Thing" they should have gone on to more success with "Good Stuff" but yet again this eluded them. They will always be a cult band in the same vein as "DEVO".

So get your wigs out, turn up the volume get your friends round.."yeh we'd just thought we'd drop in"... where's yer ice box?... ooooh houseatosis".. and "Party out of Bounds" like its 79/80 all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Whole Lotta B-52s But, 23 Sep 2012
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
This is not the review about this set that I would have imagined I would have written but the price for this set is in my opinion far too high by a long chalk being double or more the price of similar 'original series' sets by other well know artists.
At over 28 GBP at the time of writing Sept 2012 this is simply far too high a price to pay. And I realise that the groups name is a high flying bomber!!

(NOTE The price of this set has changed 5 times in the month of September alone!! It started at 20 moved to 24 then way up to 28 British pounds then in October it has fallen to just over 20GBP - still about 8 GBP more than it should be- so my comments made at the time look redundant BUT I still stand by my claims that the price on Amazon direct is way too high Someone seems to have made a mistake somewhere?)

Other rival firms sell it for 15 or less. Amazon is over 10 pounds dearer.

Now compare that with say the Jefferson Airplane releases - extra tracks remastered and the hard to find Red Octopus included akin to Bouncing off the Satellites ) You could buy two different 5 CD sets most of which are remastered with additional tracks and have change from the 28 quid charged for this unremastered additional trackless set by the B-52s.

I've waited for this 5 Cd Box Set for a while now simply because it contains the one, hard to find, "Bouncing off the satellites" which when it is, provided you can find a copy that is, on sale for in excess of 10( 10GBP)

But the sister sets of these original album series are priced on average at 15 or less- a heck of a lot less in most cases at around 11.99. So this set is strangely about twice as much as the others.
This really is a deluxe price for a set that really is basic- cheap card sleeves slim line card case and that's it.

If they had deluxe packaging- extra tracks- re mastered- better packaging then it would - just merit the list price of 40.

The maths for the cheap as chips simply does not add up they are if anything MORE expensive than the normal Cds?

Put simply other sets work out at around 2.70 or less per CD.
This price at over 25GBP works our at a fiver each CD.
You can buy the others in the set at much less than a fiver each and many new.
B-52's
Cosmic ThingWild Planet
Wild Planet
Whammy!

So my big question is If they are MORE expensive and are in cheap packaaging WHY oh Why bother??

If this were another set by a different artist I would suggest you buy all the albums second hand through Amazon and pay a whole lot less except that in this case Bouncing off the satellites is still for sale at a high price so this negates this advice. Unless you substituted another of there albums.

The only reason I can think that the set is such high is that it contains Bouncing Off the Satellites.

I for one will be watching the price very closely until it levels out to an acceptable sub 15 quid.
Watch this space.
5 stars for the set 2 for the price.

This is the review I would have wrote

At Last the B-52s are released in a super stonking 5 CD set containing the rare Bouncing Off the Satellites.

There simply is not one 'average' let alone poor offering in sight on this wonderful set.
Each and every Cd stands out. Glance throught the list and you will see some stonking tracks on the albums.
Most of us will already have all of the CDs already so the box set is of interest to the new user more than the season vet like myself.

A whole lot of these sets are remastered and include extra tracks to attract the people, again, like myself, who already have all the Cds.
But sadly this is not the case here I beleive which is a shame considering that there are lots of 'extended tracks out there' surely if they had included a few or even remastered the sound it would have been like catnip to the B-52 fanbase.
This also is NOT reflected in the price. Where is the money going if it's not on remastering these Cds?
True the sets come in 'as cheap as chips' card sleeves featuring the original art.
Some deride this- not me I think they have a charm all of their own.
#
BUT the stand out addition here is the really hard to find Bouncing off the Satellites.
This is considerd to be a lost classic For more details read the reviews here.Bouncing Off The Satellites

I really cannot recommend this set highly enough- just wait for a more reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars dance pop, 9 Oct 2012
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
i love the b52s and i finally got to see them live on the funplex tour.
this boxset is overpriced because it is import only but marketplace sellers have some good offers.
a genius class in new wave dance pop, mesopatamia should have been included.
although as that is really just a single there would have been more complaints.
put on your shades, roll up the rug and dance this mess around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the uninitiated! Pointless for fans!, 6 Oct 2012
K. J. Greenland "kevinthegerbil" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
At the moment it's overpriced at about 28 but once it comes down, and I don't doubt it will, it will be a good buy for those who have yet to taste the delights of the B-52's. It seems a little pointless for a fan to buy this as the recordings are not remastered unless you suffer from OCD and must have it! I will pass.

The boxset itself covers the first great two albums, 'The-B-52's' and 'Wild Planet, the fourth 'Whammy!', the highly underrated and my favourite 'Bouncing Off the Satellites' and the slightly overrated, in my opinion, 'Cosmic Thing' which to the uninitiated includes the classic that everyone knows 'Love Shack'.

I'm waiting for remastered deluxe editions. Will they ever come?

Original Album Series
Original Album Series by B-52's (Audio CD - 2012)