Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

Duo Gamer Game Controller for iPad
Price:£13.27+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a small, battery powered game controller for use with the iPad and several games from Gameloft. It connects to the iPad via Blootooth wireless technology.

The Bluetooth set up is straightforward and there is no obvious lag from the controller to the iPad game. The controller gives the type of controls you would expect from a gaming console but it is quite small compared to the controllers from other game consoles. Although the edges are smooth and there is a bevel from the top edge to the bottom, after 15 minutes of playing, my arms and hands did not feel comfortable. I personally couldn't have kept playing for a long time.

There are a limited number of paid games from Gameloft which are compatible with the controller. There aren't many although this is stated in the description and something, I presume, that will be rectified as time goes on. The games aren't too expensive but it is important to note that you do have to pay extra for them. I really only liked the car racing game which limits the use of the controller somewhat. If you found you didn't like any then you'd be scuppered.

The controller is supplied with a plastic stand which is sturdy enough to hold the iPad in landscape or portrait mode. This is useful for more than just gaming so that's an added bonus.

This product would appeal to people who are used to using a game controller for their game play. However touch screen and accelerometer controls are, in my opinion, a better user experience on the iPad.
on 28 December 2012
No sympathy for people who don't read the product description - it states very clearly "Plays exclusively with top-rated Gameloft apps" and then goes on to list the apps.

The way I see it, I can get a bunch of very decent FPS games *and* the controller for the cost of a couple of console games. modern combat 3 and the duo gamer gives a genuine console-type experience on the ipad, and elevates the gaming experience enormously. Makes a real change from casual games, and from using awkward on-screen controls which have never sat right with me.

My concern is that gameloft don't have duo gamer support in Modern Combat 4 - I don't know if they are planning on adding it, or if this explains the recent halving in the RRP of the device. Update @ 25 Jan 13: the duo gamer website now lists MC4 as "coming soon".

But for what it *says* it does, I believe this is good value.

Update: Had this for a few weeks now and would like to address some concerns. Despite it's looks, it is surprisingly comfortable to use for long periods, due to the taper from top to bottom, and the slight curvature of the sides. Playing Modern Combat 3 in multiplayer with the duo gamer is a completely different experience to using the touchscreen - you get a degree of control, and immersion, that only a physical controller can bring. Just make sure you enter/create matches with "aim assist" enabled. There is no comparable hardware+game experience on the ipad as yet - so there's nothing to compare it to price-wise other than console gaming, and in that comparison it's a bargain.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Duo Gamer pad comes in a large box that contains the actual controller in a nice bag, batteries and a stand for the iPad. The game pad itself is pretty big and not at all ergonomic. It looks bad, and as if there has been no thought as to it's design. It has two thumb sticks, one D pad and four front buttons and two bumpers. It also has a start/connect button in the centre.

Connecting it up is really easy - it's bluetooth and a couple of clicks and it's up and running. The centre button glows a bright blue which is a little harsh at first.

The big issue with this pad is that it will only work with selected Gameloft titles - I tried Asphalt 7 that I already had installed (this wouldn't work with the pad as it wouldn't recognise it) and I also downloaded Brothers In Arms 2 to try. While this was free, other games were paid for which seem expensive especially as you pay a premium for the Duo Gamer pad. Maybe Gameloft should include a code for some free titles?

In use, the Duo Gamer really surprised me. Although the design looks bad, in actual use it was really good and the controls are well thought out. It was also surprisingly comfortable to use over about 30 minutes or so - goes to prove that looks are not everything!

The stand that comes in the box was also very useful - it has a hole in the centre so you can connect a charing lead while you play and you can position the iPad horizontal or vertical. In use, it make playing the game with the Duo Gamer pad really easy - it just hold the iPad stationary while you bash buttons.

It's quite expensive, but it works well. But only with Gameloft titles. I also have iMame installed on my iPad (non jailbroken!) and the Duo Gamer is not detected in that whereas the 8 Bitty pad works fine (this uses the iCade mappings). While I understand Gameloft's decision to only use the Duo Gamer in their own titles, I think this is a big mistake and they need to get to as wide a market as possible.

The pad gets a higher mark than I initially expected to give due to how well it works, and also for how functional the stand is. However, it looses more due to it's limited use.

If you already own a few Gameloft titles then I'd fully recommend this pad. If not, then look at the alternatives that work better, on more games, for a lower price. I paid less than £20 for this controller - iCade 8-Bitty - Retro Wireless Game Controller
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 March 2014
Pros:
- it means you don't have to struggle using your fingers to play your first person shooters but also check out the cons on this.
- it's cheap, comes with a cloth bag to keep it clean and a stand to put your iPad

Cons:
- there is lag when us use this and it's hard to be accurate and in fact it's more accurate to use your fingers on the screen.....if you're hoping for an Xbox experience on your iPad.....think again, it's ok but no where near great
- worst of all is the design on the controller, it's not ergonomically designed to fit the hands well and even after 30 minutes use some of my fingers started to feel sore from the pressure that's applied when you're gripping the control
- very few games work with this controller as only Gameloft games work on it. I was aware of it when buying this but even then the list is very small.

Verdict

As it's a fiver....it's worth it for a bit of fun and if you get bored of it you can just throw it away
on 30 January 2013
My initial expectations were filled. The controller itself is very small and curved to feel more comfortable when holding it. I found pairing via Bluetooth easy but at times difficult as the words cannot connect etc repeatedly display on your device. However despite all of the above the controllers exsclusivity is what really holds it back. The controller is only compatible with Gameloft games and considering their vast endless supply of games only about five of their games have support not including games such as the latest Modern Combat. I paid £30-35 for this so I can ignore its flaws for others anything more than this may be considered excessive considering what the controller does. Oh and one last thing too! As with most electrical goods included with batteries the quality of said batteries looks terrible, as you'd expect.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a fantastic gadget to use for gaming with Apple devices. You can use it with your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. The controller isn't an Apple product (you can easily tell by the packaging and look and feel which are nothing like the same quality)!

Two partners have paired with Apple on this - Gameloft (has lots of titles on the App store) and Discovery Bay Games (accessory maker). It's a Bluetooth enabled device and it's very simple to connect - just pair the device and the game controller and you're ready to play. But only Gameloft games!

So as long as you have an Apple device and enjoy Gameloft games (there are several and they're great), this is a fantastic accessory. I'm knocking off a point for the look of it - I think it's a bit cheap looking next to Apple products!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In the box you get the controller, sleeve plus an iPad stand. The controller feels cheap and is badly designed compared to any of the major console gamepads. HUGE negative point is that this device only works with GameLoft games. There are only a small selection of these so this controller to my mind is completely pointless. Give this a miss. It is expensive, badly designed & not universal. Bad idea.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was pretty excited about this gadget. Having seen it in the Apple store, I had been intrigued since. However, my excitement was short-lived.

On unboxing, you will receive a controller, sleeve and an iPad stand.

The controller: This is a major let-down. I won both an xbox 360 and PS3, of which both controllers are very comfortable. This is a let-down. The edges seem to dig-in to your hands, is small and has quite a poor finish. Overall, a cheap design that is not comfortable at all.

Sleeve: There is also a sleeve for the controller. Very simple with no logo, and a drawstring which keeps coming loose.

iPad stand: In all fairness, this is just an oversized plastic stand, to keep your iPad in an upright position. There is no way to change the viewing angle, which is a let-down. The stand is not really needed if you have a smart case/cover, and the large size means that it is not very portable.

There are only a handful of games available for this device, and the biggest negative point is that this device only works with GameLoft games.

All-in-all, this was a great idea, but poorly executed. I really wanted to love this gadget, but it failed. If this device was better designed, had more compatible games, we would be onto a winner. Until then, I will use my tablet as it was intended for with games... Without a controller. 2/5
VINE VOICEon 21 January 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like this addition to my iPad, it does what it says on the tin and it does it well. The only problem is the limitation for use with only 5 Gamelot games that cost £4-£5 each. Supplying iPad stand is a nice touch and after some getting used to it, I enjoyed this controller very much.
on 5 August 2014
Great with the few games it works with, it does not work with all or indeed many gameloft titles, works very well with the few it does work with, this only adds to the disappointment as it shows it's potential only to let you down when you try it with their other titles