5.0 out of 5 stars Most excellent adventure
Published 22 months ago by Nic Lawford

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the ending?
There is a minor skirmish in the arch-ryke's mansion yet no foray into the scourgelands. This big battle in the scourgelands never happens yet it is refereed to throughout the book. It really feels like an abridged version without an ending.
There are some really nice touches with some strong characters but the whole thing feels rushed and incomplete.
A shame.
Published 17 months ago by Firefly

5.0 out of 5 stars Most excellent adventure, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
Slightly slow to start. Took me a while to come to grips and enjoy the new characters. I was constantly trying to piece them together like a jigsaw with the previous books and story line. If reading this, make sure you start with the first set of books.....and enjoy the wonderful adventure to come. Exciting, sometimes heart stopping but always a grand adventure. (Off to search for next book and praying he has already written it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance!, 5 Oct 2014
Kristian Magnusson (Haddington, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
This is an epic in the making!

Like other reviewers I found the beginning rather slow, in terms of being able to get a feel for the story. Initially the introduction was a bit too fast paced and confusing, and put me off. I stopped reading the book for a month or so, and then picked it up again one day. I re-read the introduction and took time to absorb its nuance before pushing on into the main body of the text.

The use of existing, or barely veiled "real-world" racial group names for in-book races was a little jarring. I thought it rather lazy of the author. For example, the Cruithne (pronounced - Croon-yeh), a real world racial group that I am descended from, and the Romani - funnily enough an in-book travelling people, and blatantly based upon the Romanian Gypsies. The author admits to borrowing from real world history and cultures for his books, but it would have read better for him to have used more imagination and given his races original names.

All that aside I quickly grew to like the characters and the colourful world around them. All the main characters are developed fully and their own motives, philosophical beliefs, fears, prejudices and dreams all come to light as the story progresses - often combining to create conflict among them.

The plot is well thought out and vast, and opens up to the reader at the same pace of discovery by the characters.The book's pace increases as it continues and it is clear near the end that the adventure has not come to a natural conclusion.

Overall I found this book thoughtful, inspiring and rather beautiful, and the author's system of magic and nature quite frankly, well - Magic. I'm glad I discovered Jeff Wheeler and I'm about to launch into the sequel - Dryad Born.

Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the ending?, 20 July 2013
A shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good author but...., 12 April 2013
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this authors trilogy of Muirwood and appreciate he uses the history and folk tales from various countries for the padding around his stories and this does make them feel more real, however I have to agree with a previous reviewer, that using the Romani title without any attempt to hide who he is referring to to is ill advised and gives us an unpleasant glimpse of the authors prejudices. The Romani or gypsies in this book have few redeeming features and the story line is heavily weighted with tales of child stealing, theft and murder by the Romani. As a regular visitor to Eastern Europe, I am appalled by the treatment of the Gypsies, and stories like this go nowhere to alleviating prejudice. I see the story ending suggests a follow up, but I feel I wont be buying any more from the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fireblood (Whispers of Mirrowen), 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
FIREBLOOD (Whispers from Mirrowen)
I had not read the author before and I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the story continuing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
Slow to start but once plot was set the book drew you into a world where different styles of magic co existed. Hope there will be a sequel

5.0 out of 5 stars Good start, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
Not a massive fan of fantasy books but I got this as it was promoted on an amazon email at a good price and I'm glad I did, looking forward to the rest of the series, hopefully it won't be too long for the next episode.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
After reading similar types of books I thought I would give this a try as it was recommended however I find a bit boring and cliche in places. For me this did nothing to endear the characters and in terms of plot I was past caring before getting even halfway.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly unexciting and frustratingly incomplete, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
I am afraid I only completed this book to be fair to the author and not pass judgement before the end.
I did not enjoy the experience and have no. desire to hear the end of the saga as I never felt myself believing in the characters or the plot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was ok until the anti-ziganism, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) (Kindle Edition)
I was kind of enjoying this story, despite the poor grammar, mediocre storyline and not particularly likeable characters. It was an easy, pretty gentle read. Then I encountered the horrific anti-ziganism. The author doesn't even try to conceal that the Romani are based on harmful, disgusting stereotypes of...well, Romanis. So self assured was the author that he didn't even deem it necessary to change the name. I'm just completely astounded that the author was allowed to publish such revolting hate speech.

It completely ruined the book, and I had to stop reading. I bought the book based on the reviews here, and I'm disappointed that people are actually profiting from my purchase.

Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen)